The Movie Reel

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw Rogue One last night. I thought it was pretty good but it took quite awhile to get going. I know every Star Wars movie will undoubtedly get compared to the originals but I find it more relevant to compare this to Force Awakens or even the prequels. It definitely lacked the action and overall punch that Force Awakens had but 1. once it picked up it was quite good, 2. it tied the story together very well and 3. a bit nostalgic but having Darth Vader in the movie and a scene where he kicks some ass has to count for something :)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw Rogue One last night. I thought it was pretty good but it took quite awhile to get going. I know every Star Wars movie will undoubtedly get compared to the originals but I find it more relevant to compare this to Force Awakens or even the prequels. It definitely lacked the action and overall punch that Force Awakens had but 1. once it picked up it was quite good, 2. it tied the story together very well and 3. a bit nostalgic but having Darth Vader in the movie and a scene where he kicks some ass has to count for something :)

I liked it a lot. A few people have been tweeting that the Grand Moff Tarkin CGI was bad... I thought it was great. I thought it was either CGI or a damn good lookalike with extra CGI applied. It turns out it was all CGI. I thought they did a great job... Frightening really... you wonder if actors will be redundant in the future.

The movie provided a great connection between Episode 3 and Episode 4. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Carrie Fisher died :( I kind of expected it even though they said she was in stable condition.

Hopefully this is one last "fuck you" from 2016.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My favs actors, Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks (great in comedy and also drama) Denzel Washington, Daniel Day Lewis and Patrick Dempsey

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carrie Fisher died :( I kind of expected it even though they said she was in stable condition.

I didn't expect it. This whole year just sucks, for losing people, and otherwise.

Last edited:

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions

Maybe, maybe not. I just read that Garry Shandling just died. All died with complications in their hearts. Very odd.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't expect it. This whole year just sucks, for losing people, and otherwise.

Moxie, this was too funny. I was cracking up laughing at some of the things that made 2016 rotten for some people, landlords, athletes going to different teams, mayonnaise, LOL. Whew! I needed that laugh.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe, maybe not. I just read that Garry Shandling just died. All died with complications in their hearts. Very odd.
Gary Shandling was indeed one of the losses of the cursed 2016, but he died in March.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Gary Shandling was indeed one of the losses of the cursed 2016, but he died in March.

Oh, OK. It was new to me. I hadn't heard about it. Probably should've read the article. I was shocked to hear it.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And most of them are dying being between 50's and 60's years old, unfortunately they take too many "pills"

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Just the fact she was on a ventilator two days later and apparently had been "dead" for about 10 minutes before they revived her. The family probably knew she was brain dead while they were saying she was stabilized and it's understandable so they didn't have to deal with the media coverage before it happened..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
OMG Debbie Reynolds has passed away...................I am lost for words.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
And most of them are dying being between 50's and 60's years old, unfortunately they take too many "pills"

It seems like the last four or five I've seen it always had to do with the heart. And yes, it's shocking that so many are going in that age range. I don't know what to make out of that. I don't recall seeing it that much in the past.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I went and saw La La Land today,had soo much hype about it in Sydney from the movie critic's.Personally I felt it was too long,though I thought Emma Stone was outstanding.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
sputniknews.com
British 'Sherlock' Cumberbatch Proved Relative of Detective's Author Conan Doyle
Sputnik
Life
15:04 01.01.2017(updated 17:27 01.01.2017) Get short URL

1017418065.jpg

The finding was made by experts of the American Ancestry company which deals with creating family trees.

According to the company, the common ancestor of the writer and the actor is John of Gaunt — the first Duke of Lancaster and one of the sons of the King of England, Edward III (1312-1377). Gaunt was Cumberbatch's 17th great-grandfather and Conan Doyle's 15th great-grandfather, experts said.

"How rare that an actor in a major series has the chance to play a character created by a relative, especially one as iconic as Sherlock Holmes," the company's representative Jennifer Utley told Reuters.

According to researchers, the 40-year-old actor did not send any request to the company to create his family tree. The initiative came from Ancestry employees themselves who are the fans of the actor and the Sherlock" TV series, Reuters wrote.

The funny thing is that this is not the first time when Ancestry has found Cumberbatch's prominent relatives. Earlier, before the release of the biographical thriller The Imitation Game the company revealed Cumberbatch's links to the revolutionary computer scientist Alan Turing, whom he played in the movie.

The researchers even joked that Cumberbatch seems to have a good chance to be a relative of his other fictional characters.

"What's next? Learning that Benedict Cumberbatch is the great-great-grandson of Sherlock Holmes? OK, Holmes is a fictional character, but at this rate, someone's bound to find a way," the company's website wrote.

"Sherlock" is one of the most popular TV shows in Britain. The show has been broadcasted in 180 countries.

Never miss a story again — sign up to our Telegram channel and we'll keep you up to speed!

It is also rumored that Jonathan Rhys-Davis is a descendant of Count Dracula.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sputniknews.com has also discovered that Teddy is distantly related to John Milton. :-)2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I went and watched Manchester By The Sea....I really enjoyed the film,it is a Dark film in many aspects,the music and cinematography was outstanding,also the performance of Casey Affleck was outstanding he gets my vote as Best Actor,also I am a big fan of Michelle Williams who played his wife in the film though it was not a huge part.I also want to see Hidden Figures which is just being released here in Sydney.