The Movie Reel

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Sandler is is actually coming up with a new film this year called The Cobbler which I am highly looking forward to. The only reason why this has piqued my interest is primarily because of Thomas McCarthy (the director). He has only made three films in his short career so far and all have been met with positive reception:

The Station Agent has a 7.8 on IMDb and 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The Visitor has a 7.7 on IMDb and 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Win-Win has a 7.2 on IMDb and 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

He has also written all three of his films. Judging from some of the interviews I've seen from him, he really cares about his work, and doesn't seem like the type that would necessarily 'sell-out'.

No trailers have been released as of yet but I can't wait. Apparently it's about...

a lonely New York shoe repairman who starts to sense that he’s let life pass him by — going nowhere while fixing the shoes of more-assertive customers taking vacations and living adventures. Things change, though, when he discovers a family heirloom that magically lets him “walk in another man’s shoes” and see the world differently.

I gotta feeling this'll be Sandler's best since Punch-Drunk Love.

Oh, and Foxcatcher has had its release at Cannes. This is the film where Steve Carell apparently gives a career-defining performance as the villain:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4QoyC8L_Y[/video]

I think it looks excellent! Carell's performance looks chilling, too.

Oh, and while we're talking about Cannes, The Rover is getting rave reviews too!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChM2icbWo9w[/video]

Australian film has plummeted over the years, but this looks like one of the best from my country in quite a while. Of course, nothing'll ever top the Australian New Wave movement, with Picnic at Hanging Rock, Wake in Fright and The Last Wave, but hey, this could be a contender. Apparently it is a very grim and authentic film. Awesome!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I am a sucker for X-Men movies. Cannot wait till friday to see the latest installment. The challenge will be to find a theater that shows it in 2D. 3D gives me serious headaches.

3D films can be found on the Periodic Elements chart listed as FeS2.(fools gold)..imo

tented

Administrator
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
Sandler is is actually coming up with a new film this year called The Cobbler which I am highly looking forward to. The only reason why this has piqued my interest is primarily because of Thomas McCarthy (the director). He has only made three films in his short career so far and all have been met with positive reception:

He has also written all three of his films. Judging from some of the interviews I've seen from him, he really cares about his work, and doesn't seem like the type that would necessarily 'sell-out'.

No trailers have been released as of yet but I can't wait. Apparently it's about...

a lonely New York shoe repairman who starts to sense that he’s let life pass him by — going nowhere while fixing the shoes of more-assertive customers taking vacations and living adventures. Things change, though, when he discovers a family heirloom that magically lets him “walk in another man’s shoes” and see the world differently.

Interesting development in Sandler's career. I like both "The Visitor" and "Station Agent" (haven't seen the third), so I'll watch this one.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
^ Yeah, Win-Win is good, but it's probably my least-favourite of his work. Glad to see that someone has seen The Visitor - for some reason, all the time I talk about it, very seldom have people seen it. Weird. Jenkins is great in that film.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Probably funnier than the film, is it?

On imdb, I take any score over 8 to be a great recommendation, over 7 to be good, but below 7 can be like shopping in the Sunday market...

Exactly how I see it too. To expand on it I look at the ratings as follows: anything over 7.5 figures to be a real good movie. Anything under 6.5 will usually range from complete garbage to ok, but you're rarely going to find a good one at that rating.

I just checked Godzilla and it is down to 7.4, when I went last Saturday it was 7.8. Also the new X Men has a 9.2 rating so far. Only 8,300 reviews but still...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
TsarMatt said:

Interesting development in Sandler's career. I like both "The Visitor" and "Station Agent" (haven't seen the third), so I'll watch this one.

I loved Punch Drunk Love, and Sandler was great in it.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
^ Yep, I agree. Then again, that's because you had Paul Thomas Anderson behind the camera. He's truly one of the best directors working alive today.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
^ Yep, I agree. Then again, that's because you had Paul Thomas Anderson behind the camera. He's truly one of the best directors working alive today.

Agreed, and PTA is great with actors, but Sandler still pulled off that performance. I'm a big fan of PTA, though I didn't love "The Master." You?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
Oh, and while we're talking about Cannes, The Rover is getting rave reviews too!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChM2icbWo9w[/video]

Australian film has plummeted over the years, but this looks like one of the best from my country in quite a while. Of course, nothing'll ever top the Australian New Wave movement, with Picnic at Hanging Rock, Wake in Fright and The Last Wave, but hey, this could be a contender. Apparently it is a very grim and authentic film. Awesome!

The trailer for The Rover makes it look like a bit of a Mad Max re-tread, but I saw the director's last, Animal Kingdom, which was fierce and very fine. David Michod is the director.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
TsarMatt said:

Agreed, and PTA is great with actors, but Sandler still pulled off that performance. I'm a big fan of PTA, though I didn't love "The Master." You?

Yeah, Sandler was excellent. He's good in Reign Over Me and Spanglish, too. I never liked The Master much on my first viewing, but really appreciated it more on my second. It's by far his most personal piece yet, as his previous efforts seemed to emulate a lot from Kubrick and Altman, so it certainly felt different to his previous works IMO.

In regards to The Rover, I think all the time you have an Australian film set in the desert people are always going to think of Mad Max. This seems much more chilling and authentic, though, so we'll see.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I don't think I'm so easy to make a Mad Max comparison…look at the trailer. But did you see Animal Kingdom? I'd be disinclined if I hadn't seen that film. The trailer makes it look derivative, but I like the director, and Guy Pearce, so I won't miss it.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, the trailer sort of does pass off a a Mad Max vibe, coming to think of it, but very seldom does the filmmaker have any control in what a trailer will turn out like. This is what David Michôd, himself, had to say on this...

You put cars in the desert in Australia and people are going to think of Mad Max, and with all due respect to that film — and I stress that — I think The Rover is going to be way more chillingly authentic and menacing."

I'll take his word for it. :p

I have seen Animal Kingdom and I thought it was very good. Nothing overly-speculator in my books, but for a directorial debut, impressive to say the least. I think it was overshadowed, though, by another 2011 Australian crime film, The Snowtown Murders, which was simply a chilling and gripping masterwork.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
Yeah, the trailer sort of does pass off a a Mad Max vibe, coming to think of it, but very seldom does the filmmaker have any control in what a trailer will turn out like. This is what David Michôd, himself, had to say on this...

You put cars in the desert in Australia and people are going to think of Mad Max, and with all due respect to that film — and I stress that — I think The Rover is going to be way more chillingly authentic and menacing."

I'll take his word for it. :p

I have seen Animal Kingdom and I thought it was very good. Nothing overly-speculator in my books, but for a directorial debut, impressive to say the least. I think it was overshadowed, though, by another 2011 Australian crime film, The Snowtown Murders, which was simply a chilling and gripping masterwork.

OK, but even Michod gets my point. ;) Hard not to compare it to Mad Max. I haven't seen the Snowtown Murders, but I'll try to find it. I liked Animal Kingdom a lot. I thought it was self-assured, and the performances were fab. That always tells me something about a director's hand.

EDIT: To be clear, I DON'T think it's going to be a Mad Max rip-off. I'm only saying that, if I hadn't seen Animal Kingdom, I'd be inclined to think it was kind of derivative, based on the trailer.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Winter Sleep, a new film by Nuri Bilge Ceylan, which is about...

Aydin, a former actor, runs a small hotel in central Anatolia with his young wife Nihal with whom he has a stormy relationship and his sister Necla who is suffering from her recent divorce. In winter as the snow begins to fall, the hotel turns into a shelter but also an inescapable place that fuels their animosities

....has won the prestigious Palme d'Or at Cannes!

Trailer:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1pu28BBntI[/video]

tented

Administrator
Reactions
After my statement in the director's thread that Almodovar keeps getting better and better, I watched his latest -- "I'm So Excited" -- and was extremely disappointed. Easily his worst film ever. In a deliberate attempt to get back to comedy, he failed miserably. I hope his next one is an improvement, but it's hard to imagine anything worse.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Am going to see the X-Men, Days of Future Past, in the cinema tomorrow. I have no choice in the matter. Is it good?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I quite enjoyed this X-Man flick, it had a great cast, glossy special fx, a coherent story. Sort of film I won't remember tomorrow but it was worth the afternoon price of admission to the cinema...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I thought it was excellent. I hadn't seen an X Men film since the trilogy from about 10 years ago and this definitely was better than those. I rented X Men: First Class before seeing Days of Future Past. It was pretty good as well but I really enjoyed Days of Future Past.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
After my statement in the director's thread that Almodovar keeps getting better and better, I watched his latest -- "I'm So Excited" -- and was extremely disappointed. Easily his worst film ever. In a deliberate attempt to get back to comedy, he failed miserably. I hope his next one is an improvement, but it's hard to imagine anything worse.

I know it's not worth debating here, but I thought "I'm so Excited" was funny, and a good satire on the Spanish politics and the economy, at the moment. It was very broad, but it made me laugh.

Anyway, I saw "Maleficent" today, in 3-D, and I liked it a lot. La Jolie is Fab, and lots of nods to the old animated Disney "Sleeping Beauty," with a good rethink on the story. Also saw a charming Swedish film the other day: "We are the Best!" 3 misfit 13-year-old girls form a punk band in the just-post-punk era. (Maybe only TsarMatt and Tented will be interested in that one.)