Serious PC thread

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Black History Month is an American thing, and I tend not to speak much about American politics because it’s not my country, not my say. I don’t have a vote and I don’t give a…hoot…either, except of course when the worst ideas of American tribal and cultural conflicts get picked up abroad and affect our way of life.

I like these two blokes, I find them to be essential listening, mainly because they’re the opposite to tribal: they question their own tribes. And one is a conservative and the other a liberal, but their shared tribe is to be black Americans, and their conversations are always deep, sound, sane and well conceived.

The reason I’m posting this here is because in little old Ireland, we now have our own Black History Month. I’m not opposed to it, people can celebrate what they want to celebrate, but I’m curious about it, and I wonder about the imitative qualities it has, in the larger sense of trying to force an American-centric black experience into the frame of other countries histories.

For example, in county Cork in 2020, the Cork Migrant Centre organised a webinar ‘in the wake of the murder of George Floyd, bringing the realities of racism and discrimination around the world and in Ireland to the forefront.’

There is nothing in Ireland remotely like the George Floyd incident, but the organisers hoped at the time that the event ‘is a stepping stone to greater collaboration and education on the issue of racism in Ireland, and to putting a stop to such racism.’

It’s noble to put a stop to racism - of any colour or ethnicity against another - but how are we to compare our experiences with the experiences of blacks in America? And is it appropriate to even try to? Or if there a Trojan horse thing going here, to ensure that even in places where Whitey is the indigenous native, that he should be reminded that he’s got a problem with racism?

Black people make up 1.1% of the Irish population. Racism against them is not acceptable, and generally I think Irish people have handled the overwhelming influx of foreign souls into our country in the last quarter of a century with good humour, and good manners. And there have been black peoples in Ireland for a long time. I tend to agree with the two gentlemen in the video, regarding black history month, and probably more especially in America. Over here, we tend to celebrate our Oirishness tomorrow on Paddy’s Day. Someday that’ll be considered racist and exclusionary, because of something that happened in America, if trends continue..

We have Black History month here too. (Although we have had racism towards Black & Asian people where I live, there was racism towards Scots/Irish people where I live at 1 time. I'm glad all that racism is now seen as unacceptable & is less common.)

Reactions: shawnbm and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
We have Black History month here too. (Although we have had racism towards Black & Asian people where I live, there was racism towards Scots/Irish people where I live at 1 time. I'm glad all that racism is now seen as unacceptable & is less common.)
We should have an Irish history month on the UK in that case, since we also faced racism over there, but we’ve since discovered that racism isn’t confined to just white people or powerful successful empires, and that black, Asian, Hispanic and Irish people can also be just as racist, so we won’t push the point….

Reactions: shawnbm and Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
We should have an Irish history month on the UK in that case, since we also faced racism over there, but we’ve since discovered that racism isn’t confined to just white people or powerful successful empires, and that black, Asian, Hispanic and Irish people can also be just as racist, so we won’t push the point….
I agree & Scottish history month in the entire U.K. (Not just the parts of Scottish history since James VI of Scotland became James I of England. *I learnt a lot about Scottish history myself due to genealogical research, holidays to Scotland & reading books about Scottish history since I found out that genealogically I was mostly Scots/Irish as well as watching Neil Oliver's History of Scotland & reading the book. I realise that Scottish & Irish history is closely connected in some areas in the same way that Scottish & Irish music is.) Good idea! I know & understand.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree & Scottish history month in the entire U.K. (Not just the parts of Scottish history since James VI of Scotland became James I of England. *I learnt a lot about Scottish history myself due to genealogical research, holidays to Scotland & reading books about Scottish history since I found out that genealogically I was mostly Scots/Irish as well as watching Neil Oliver's History of Scotland & reading the book. I realise that Scottish & Irish history is closely connected in some areas in the same way that Scottish & Irish music is.) Good idea! I know & understand.

Thanks Horsa, and to you too!

On Paddy’s day we celebrate the fabulousness of being Irish, from the greatest little country in the world!

As opposed to creating a shady victimology that the rest of you have to venerate! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: tented

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Last of the ancient Celtic bloodlines - add the Welsh and Cornish into the mix too, and a couple of pockets in France (i.e. Brittany/Breton) and a peculiar pocket in South America (Patagonia). I don't know how far you delved into the genealogy but it's fascinating and interlinks with the Trojans. Some rather amazing trees held in the Scottish National Library and Windsor Castle.

Reactions: Horsa and Kieran

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This all traces back to the Tribes of Israel. If you examine the Zarah line of the House of Judah specifically... the Calcol line are Irish/Gaelic names.

The Darda/Assaracus line are Welsh names. Brutus was the founder of pre-modern Britain (Briton).

The Zarah line were the Trojans of Troy (Tros).

The Stone of Destiny, which every British monarch has been crowned on (originating from the Patriarch Abraham and Bethel in the Middle East) went through Ireland, then Scotland and then Westminster when King James VI of Scotland became King James I of England. It got stolen by Scottish Nationalists on Christmas Day in 1950 and replaced with a fake. So Queen Elizabeth II wasn't crowned on the Stone of Destiny... and neither will old man Charles.

houseofjudah.jpg

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Last of the ancient Celtic bloodlines - add the Welsh and Cornish into the mix too, and a couple of pockets in France (i.e. Brittany/Breton) and a peculiar pocket in South America (Patagonia). I don't know how far you delved into the genealogy but it's fascinating and interlinks with the Trojans. Some rather amazing trees held in the Scottish National Library and Windsor Castle.
Don't forget northwest Spain and the province of Galicia--a truly Celtic land and people.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hoist a pint of the black stuff today everyone! Guinness makes you strong!

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This guy gets the bones, but misses the obvious connection with Greek mythology... which probably wasn't a myth at all. Maybe some incorrect labelling of "Gods"... about 90% of the Judah Tribe of Israel family tree meshes with the Greek tree... except Zeus, Venus, Aphrodite get cut out out of modern genealogies... yet even Zeus is mentioned in the New Testament.

Horsa

Reactions
I've also got Norman-French ancestry & English ancestry. (Wales is the only country in Britain I don't have a link to.) I've got as far back as the Picts (from what was passed down from prehistoric times & recorded later on when writing was learnt by my ancestors. It is fascinating.

Horsa

Reactions
Hoist a pint of the black stuff today everyone! Guinness makes you strong!
I don't like it. If I'm consuming Irish food &/ drink, I go for the Irish stew. (I love listening to the music though. My favourite instruments are the bagpipes & the accordion both of which are played in Irish music although people normally think of Scotland when they think of bagpipes & Irish bagpipes are different to Scottish bagpipes. Most of Britain played different types of bagpipes at 1 time. Only Scotland, Ireland, Cumberland & Northumberland still play their bagpipes.)

Horsa

Reactions
Thanks Horsa, and to you too!

On Paddy’s day we celebrate the fabulousness of being Irish, from the greatest little country in the world!

As opposed to creating a shady victimology that the rest of you have to venerate! ;)
You're welcome, Kieran.

I eat your Irish stew & listen & sing along to your music. I love accordions & bagpipes which are often played in Irish music. (I know your bagpipes are different from Scotland's)

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnbm

Horsa

Reactions
Yes, there are a few other pockets, agreed. I was just picking the low hanging fruit!
I already knew the other connections but they weren't all direct connections to my ancestors. (I've done a pretty thorough job but may have missed something here & there.)

I used the surname search to go from as far back as possible & bring it to the modern day then I asked family members what they knew about parents, grandparents etc. then worked backwards as far as I could to see if details matched which they did.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I already knew the other connections but they weren't all direct connections to my ancestors. (I've done a pretty thorough job but may have missed something here & there.)

I used the surname search to go from as far back as possible & bring it to the modern day then I asked family members what they knew about parents, grandparents etc. then worked backwards as far as I could to see if details matched which they did.

You can uncover some fascinating stuff when you delve into it. How far back did you manage to go?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540