Serious PC thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You know, the more I think about this, it’s just so far out I almost suspect it’s something Russians came up with to stir things up.
sadly we're so degenerate in the West even if it was fake news it's easy to believe!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Beginning around 8:30, Maher nails it in terms of “woke” vs. “liberal”. (The rest of the video is worth watching, but the relevant segment is the first few minutes after 8:30.)

I’ve said this before, I think, but I don’t consider the woke group to be part of the Left either. They began there, but over the past few years have migrated so far left, they circled round and became a form of authoritarianism.

I appreciate your pointing out this differentiation between "woke" and "liberal." I honestly think that the word "woke" has been so abused as to mean nothing anymore. Or whatever anyone wants it to. I'm curious what it means to you, and why it becomes "authoritarian."

"Woke" didn't come from the liberal left. It has been used since the 1930s (and even Leadbelly) in African American culture. It has recently been coopted, and in part by the Right to call out basically anything they hate. I really do wish people would stop throwing it out to the point of making it meaningless. Let's talk about what people are really complaining about. Talk details. Words and phrases that people don't even understand don't just dilute the conversation, they weaponize it with not even vagaries, but meaninglessness.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Beginning around 8:30, Maher nails it in terms of “woke” vs. “liberal”. (The rest of the video is worth watching, but the relevant segment is the first few minutes after 8:30.)

I’ve said this before, I think, but I don’t consider the woke group to be part of the Left either. They began there, but over the past few years have migrated so far left, they circled round and became a form of authoritarianism.

This is very good, and typically Bill Maher nails it. He’s been fairly infallible as a commentator for a while now, particularly in calling out the “Woke”/Far Left.

Simply put, I would say “The Woke” are the modern radical left - or, the gullible, unthinking Left. They’re susceptible to modern political fads. CRT, BLM, Ibram X Kendi, trans, anything that smells like an historical cause for justice is mothers milk to the woke. They accept the bona fides and terms and conditions of these things without question, but an even further distinguishing feature is that they’re ruthlessly intolerant. They try to cancel historic figures for sin of not knowing what we know. They try to destroy modern figures for simply asking questions. If you dislike BLM, you’re a racist. If you ask questions about trans, you’re a murderer. We all remember that crazy bug eyed activist struggling to make sense in front of Senator Hawley. Woke people are unreasonable, anti-reason, anti-history, anti-science, anti-west bigots, with a nasty authoritarian streak. They’re actively trying to dismantle society with their ‘activism’, and they’re being aided and abetted by useful idiots on the left who don’t want to admit that, yes, their side has problems too.

Also, they’re being helped by a complete absence of leadership in north America, and other places in the west, but North America is the origin and feeding ground for this madness.

I seen the mention of the term woke in its historical usage, but this is typical of the defence the left puts up for its bad guys. Biden did the same during the presidential election when he dismissed Antifa as “an idea.” We even see apologists for antifa remind us of the origins of that term. It’s like, duh, they’re anti-fascists, it’s in the name, stoopah! CNN dismissed BLM riots and murders as being “mostly peaceful.”

And the distinction Bill Maher makes is very crucial - liberals believe in freedom. They’re very different to woke. We know this when we see it, that a liberal will question things they’re told, and not buy every shifty snake oil proposition that extreme activists are selling…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Friend of mine just sent this to me. Canada is fucked up. Thought I would post it here, given some prior conversations. It’s not only men who abuse. Until we move past this era of infantilisation of women and assuming their shot doesn’t stink we won’t have genuine progress. I firmly believe genuine feminists who desire equality have similar aspirations. Not this lopsided lack of accountability we are experiencing right now…

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Friend of mine just sent this to me. Canada is fucked up. Thought I would post it here, given some prior conversations. It’s not only men who abuse. Until we move past this era of infantilisation of women and assuming their shot doesn’t stink we won’t have genuine progress. I firmly believe genuine feminists who desire equality have similar aspirations. Not this lopsided lack of accountability we are experiencing right now…

One of the most inane, deceitful and destructive phrases that came in the wake of MeToo was "Believe All Women." It's so mind-blowing incoherent, it could only come from the Left, and be celebrated by the Democrat Party....

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This topic is the gift that keeps giving - but only if it was satire. "I'm a he/him lesbian." Sure you are - and so am I!

The Offensive Tranny breaks it down:

Reactions: tented

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This topic is the gift that keeps giving - but only if it was satire. "I'm a he/him lesbian." Sure you are - and so am I!

The Offensive Tranny breaks it down:

This too shall pass. These kids in 10yrs will look back at this and shake their heads. When I see something like this, it's reminiscent of the punks, goths etc. We all grew out of stuff like that. These poor fkrs had to do their growing up through social media. Arguably the most profoundly revolutionary social phenomenon in human history. It's no wonder they're all messed up. I just have special contempt for the older progressives who should know better. Fucking irresponsible embarrassments..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This too shall pass. These kids in 10yrs will look back at this and shake their heads. When I see something like this, it's reminiscent of the punks, goths etc. We all grew out of stuff like that. These poor fkrs had to do their growing up through social media. Arguably the most profoundly revolutionary social phenomenon in human history. It's no wonder they're all messed up. I just have special contempt for the older progressives who should know better. Fucking irresponsible embarrassments..
The unfortunate thing is that youngsters in my day dressed like the Bay City Rollers. Kids now are getting surgical procedures that will feck them up forever. I suppose the big difference is that adults were more careful about what the kids were doing back then, and so called progressives didn’t exist…

Reactions: tented

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The unfortunate thing is that youngsters in my day dressed like the Bay City Rollers. Kids now are getting surgical procedures that will feck them up forever. I suppose the big difference is that adults were more careful about what the kids were doing back then, and so called progressives didn’t exist…
a lot of parents these days are enablers. They are actually deluded enough to think they parent better these days. Idiots. But now the femi-nazis and freakos have somehow managed to get a lot of the crap into statute. I'm still really puzzled about all of it. I feel like I woke up about 5yrs ago and men were being called women and vice-versa. And suddenly I'm not allowed to tell them they're delusional fuckwits. I didn't vote for this...

Reactions: Kieran and tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I appreciate your pointing out this differentiation between "woke" and "liberal." I honestly think that the word "woke" has been so abused as to mean nothing anymore. Or whatever anyone wants it to. I'm curious what it means to you, and why it becomes "authoritarian."

"Woke" didn't come from the liberal left. It has been used since the 1930s (and even Leadbelly) in African American culture. It has recently been coopted, and in part by the Right to call out basically anything they hate. I really do wish people would stop throwing it out to the point of making it meaningless. Let's talk about what people are really complaining about. Talk details. Words and phrases that people don't even understand don't just dilute the conversation, they weaponize it with not even vagaries, but meaninglessness.

Yes, that is how Wikipedia traces this usage of the word. The Oxford English Dictionary has this entry:

BC47A3D1-E684-4B22-AFC5-250DCA08E915.jpeg

It has been used by multiple groups, with various intentions/interpretations, which doesn’t make it “meaningless” (to use your word). If anything, it makes it full of meaning(s).

The authoritarian connotations enter when people who use the word as in the 2015 & 2017 examples above (which were clearly not written by anyone on the Right) engage in cancel culture behavior and/or attempt to dictate behavior in others. I looked at the 2017 article and found this description of its intent: “we thought we’d put together a handy guide of things woke male feminists should know. And then live it.” They’re dictating how people should speak and act. The woke leading the woke.

It’s people who describe themselves as woke who have protested when their colleges have invited a speaker they didn’t like or agree with. They only want to interact with people they agree with. Dissenting views are not tolerated. And the people who have them are disinvited and often cancelled. People’s lives have been ruined because of these actions.

I hope this demonstrates that your inclusion of the sentence ”Words and phrases that people don't even understand don't just dilute the conversation, they weaponize it with not even vagaries, but meaninglessness” is an unmerited insult.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

That’s it, isn’t it? There is no precedent for this environment, so it has become anything-goes. That these social media companies are aware of how harmful their products can be, yet keep pushing them, is wicked.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s it, isn’t it? There is no precedent for this environment, so it has become anything-goes. That these social media companies are aware of how harmful their products can be, yet keep pushing them, is wicked.
Well, it’s also a time where “anything is allowed”, in terms of crazy idealisms, which is an innovative experiment in how to run a civilised society. And this new “freedom” is forced on the adults in the room by dimwit, screechy activists and cynical politicians. It’s hedonism by force…

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Yes, that is how Wikipedia traces this usage of the word. The Oxford English Dictionary has this entry:

View attachment 7418
It has been used by multiple groups, with various intentions/interpretations, which doesn’t make it “meaningless” (to use your word). If anything, it makes it full of meaning(s).

The authoritarian connotations enter when people who use the word as in the 2015 & 2017 examples above (which were clearly not written by anyone on the Right) engage in cancel culture behavior and/or attempt to dictate behavior in others. I looked at the 2017 article and found this description of its intent: “we thought we’d put together a handy guide of things woke male feminists should know. And then live it.” They’re dictating how people should speak and act. The woke leading the woke.

It’s people who describe themselves as woke who have protested when their colleges have invited a speaker they didn’t like or agree with. They only want to interact with people they agree with. Dissenting views are not tolerated. And the people who have them are disinvited and often cancelled. People’s lives have been ruined because of these actions.

I hope this demonstrates that your inclusion of the sentence ”Words and phrases that people don't even understand don't just dilute the conversation, they weaponize it with not even vagaries, but meaninglessness” is an unmerited insult.

I HATE when people exhaust a subject in one single post.

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran and tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
thank goodness! I'm not sure how much more degeneracy I can tolerate
I think that story is true somewhere, that’s the problem, and give it a few months - this will be the next big push after the recent promotion of paedophilia…

• Wow
Reactions: Federberg
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540