Serious PC thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This just seems like common sense to me. But I think I've recall it argued even here that there were no repercussions...:facepalm:

Reactions: tented

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some of the stuff is getting so ridiculously absurd you just have to laugh. Anyone else feel they are on the set of a remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Some of the stuff is getting so ridiculously absurd you just have to laugh. Anyone else feel they are on the set of a remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?
It’s definitely how civilisations destroy themselves, they become too smug and comfortable that they then become complacent, and that complacency allows bad ideas to go unchallenged, until nobody can agree on what’s self evidently true. Night will be called day, black will be called white, men will be women, children will be sexualised, ill health celebrated as health, criminals are victims, the honest will be smeared, “human rights” will cover so much ground that the concept of community and personal responsibility will vanish. Morality is a dirty word. Nothing will mean anything, and nobody will believe in truth. Truth will be like a drink, “whatever you’re having yourself.” That’s your truth and this is my truth. Both true, and both saying the opposite to each other.

We’re already there, and we know who’s pushing it. The same spoilt rotten far left radical westerners who think the west is the most horrible place ever…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
it's crazy mate. Logic and scientific reason have been surrendered to the altar of feelings. If you object, you're a bigot of one sort or another. It's a feminised culture, which is ironic as we're supposedly living in a patriarchy. Nothing could be further from the truth

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
@Moxie what are your thoughts about this? From the video clips, I confess I'm too much of a fashion photo novice to understand the nuance in the images, but clearly they knew what they were doing if they had the court case document in the shot. Shouldn't there be more outrage or do you think this is being manufactured by conservatives?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't describe to you how annoying this is. An 83 year old courtier, asking about one's origins might be clumsy, but to go on social media to claim that you've been traumatised to such an extent it'll live with you forever? Really? If this woman had any decency and she was legitimately concerned that racism was at play, then she could have had a quiet word with the Palace. But that's not what she did. She went on to social media for clicks. It's absolutely disgusting and just shows what a slimy victim culture world we live in right now. And for those who try to argue her side, a good friend of mine is Greek Cypriate by origin. Born and bred in the UK. It's not unusual for him to be asked where he's from, even though he sounds as typical a Londoner as the next person. So miss me with the racism bit. It's got to the stage now people can't even show human curiosity for fear of accusations of bigotry

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I can only think that this is because men will say and do anything to sleep with a celebrity. Either that, or he’s been neutered.

Or lobotomised. Or brainwashed. He’s sitting with a racist. He could study her, that would be best…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I mentioned I saw "She Said," on the movie thread. I hope that those of you who like films will see it. Forget about the subject matter, but think of it as a good investigative journalism film in the vein of "All the Presidents Men," and "Spotlight." Great writing and performances.

That said, a very compelling conversation came after, which I think you will find interesting. Obviously, conversations about #metoo movement, etc. While it was a generally sympathetic crowd to the film and the movement, these things came out:

* I asked, specifically because of our conversations here: one of the men in my crowd is a Hollywood insider and DID follow the story of Heard/Depp. While totally inclined to the women's stories, in general, he said that that was 2 messed up people, a train wreck, and he supported Depp. (That's the short version, but just so you know that not everyone, by a lot, took Heard's side, "just because.")

* More interestingly, another friend had this going on right now in his office, which is small-ish, but prominent in publishing. You'd know the name. A man in their office was being slagged on social media by a woman who had been his roommate in a share apt. Many accusations of mistreatment. The owner/publisher, whoI also know, lovely person, is listening to him. There is no evidence of anything like this behavior in their workplace, and they are not going to shit-can him. They are supporting him, including all of his colleagues, based on everything they know about him, as a person and a journalist. However, and shockingly, my friend said he may not get a byline for a while. I don't completely understand that part.

Trashing people on social media is a real thing. I get that. Even though this guy won't lose his job, because his employers and co-workers are judicious people who actually think and not just react, particularly to how the PC winds blow. But my friend is telling me that it WILL affect his career. Hopefully not too badly.

My point is, don't think I don't see other sides of all this. I have just been presented with one rather starkly.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I mentioned I saw "She Said," on the movie thread. I hope that those of you who like films will see it. Forget about the subject matter, but think of it as a good investigative journalism film in the vein of "All the Presidents Men," and "Spotlight." Great writing and performances.

That said, a very compelling conversation came after, which I think you will find interesting. Obviously, conversations about #metoo movement, etc. While it was a generally sympathetic crowd to the film and the movement, these things came out:

* I asked, specifically because of our conversations here: one of the men in my crowd is a Hollywood insider and DID follow the story of Heard/Depp. While totally inclined to the women's stories, in general, he said that that was 2 messed up people, a train wreck, and he supported Depp. (That's the short version, but just so you know that not everyone, by a lot, took Heard's side, "just because.")

* More interestingly, another friend had this going on right now in his office, which is small-ish, but prominent in publishing. You'd know the name. A man in their office was being slagged on social media by a woman who had been his roommate in a share apt. Many accusations of mistreatment. The owner/publisher, whoI also know, lovely person, is listening to him. There is no evidence of anything like this behavior in their workplace, and they are not going to shit-can him. They are supporting him, including all of his colleagues, based on everything they know about him, as a person and a journalist. However, and shockingly, my friend said he may not get a byline for a while. I don't completely understand that part.

Trashing people on social media is a real thing. I get that. Even though this guy won't lose his job, because his employers and co-workers are judicious people who actually think and not just react, particularly to how the PC winds blow. But my friend is telling me that it WILL affect his career. Hopefully not too badly.

My point is, don't think I don't see other sides of all this. I have just been presented with one rather starkly.
this is well reported @Moxie wickedness knows no gender. Which goes to the point... you can't just believe women. There has to be due process.

As an aside, but on topic... one of the main reasons men don't report DV, particularly while it's happening is... from what I've heard... there have been many cases where a man is being assaulted by his partner, and when the police come, he's the one who is invariably led away in cuffs. Police need better training. But it's a societal thing to be honest. A group did a fake test in central London some time ago, it's on youtube somewhere. Test (1) couple arguing in a park, man raises his voice to the woman and is menacing and crowding her... people rush up to the couple and challenge the man, telling him to back off or the police will be called. Test (2) couple arguing in a park, woman raises her voice to the man and is pushing him and crowding him... people walk by and lots of them are giggling and pointing. No one intervenes. This is just the way it is. I would ask that lazy assumptions are not made about genders. Quite apart from social stigmas for men, society is unable to set aside basic assumptions about gender dynamics if it is for the protection of men. I'm not saying some men aren't violent to women, but the same goes the other way. Women are literally allowed to get away with murder right now. Amber Heard thought it would be easy and for 4 or 5 years she got away with it. Only when Depp had literally nothing else to lose but money did he stand up for himself. It shouldn't have to be that way. If you are a fair minded individual then assume nothing until we get facts...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
An example of the casual racism and race hucksterism that’s become normalised in some places. The other day, I posted about the Marvel actor who complained that the golden age of Hollywood was “white as hell.” He’s allowed to be racist, apparently, under the new rules. Now I read this, drawn by the headline more than the artist, who I never heard of, through no fault of hers. It’s a typical Guardian headline, by the way, designed to provoke outrage and to promote division, and bad ideas.
Even the writer’s block proved revealing. Why had she felt so rusty? “Well, white supremacy,” she says. “And capitalism.” I assume she’s half joking. “Perfectionism, I would say, is one of the central components of the culture of white supremacy,” she begins, and soon she’s on a winding path about capitalism and exploiting yourself. “There’s a way that perfectionism can distort where you’re at,” even if you have “the juice” and are already good at what you do. “This idea that: ‘I should be generating more. I should have a larger audience. I should always have more than what I currently have.’” That, she says, reminds her of how capitalism works; the constant growth and relentless productivity.

I’ve seen it argued that black people can’t be racist, because racism is based on power structures: only white people can be racist, because they hold the power. I won’t insult you by prodding deep holes into this suggestion, you’ll have found them soon as you read it. Its source is in Marxism/communism, herding people into group identities in order to define them. The old class struggle is abandoned, in favour of group identities, intersectionalism, etc, but the principle is still the same.

The modern race hustler seems to think it a good idea to fight racism by being racist, and to fight discrimination by practicing discrimination. This pop singer may be wholly blameless for how she thinks, she may be a product of modern political programming. The effect of this isn’t only felt by white people, but also by the people who are trapped in wrong ideas. The problem, as I said before, is that white people will start to look more closely at their accusers, and find them wanting, and eventually the most racist of white people will feel enabled by this vindictive “progressive” fetish. It’s a perfect storm of radical ideas, political opportunism, bad faith, and violent players on both wings waiting to start trouble..

‘Why did I feel rusty? White supremacy’: Kelela on writer’s block, outsiderdom and her long-awaited second album

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Tim Burton is experiencing a little bit of turbulence over his casting of few black people in his films. It’s hard at times to know how overstated these storms can be, Twittermobs being typically outraged by anything, but he’s made a statement which has enraged some people:

Bustle brought up the controversial issue during a recent interview with the 58-year-old, who gave the following controversial response: “Nowadays, people are talking about it more. Things either call for things or they don’t.

“I remember back when I was a child watching The Brady Bunch and they started to get all politically correct. Like, OK, let’s have an Asian child and a black. I used to get more offended by that than just…I grew up watching Blaxploitation movies, right? I said, that’s great. I didn’t go like, OK, there should be more white people in these movies.”

That’s a reasonable response. It is embarrassing to watch the effect of deliberately ideological interference in casting, where films and shows go out of their way to be ecumenical and make sure that every group of friends on screen ticks the race and gender boxes so that everyone at home watching feels included. I can see the sense of this in theory, but in practice it’s completely anachronistic and distracting. It’s artless. It’s typical of what happens when political ideologues have a say in the creative process. Leave artists alone. They’ll create what they want to create, and how they want to. It’s better that way….

tented

Administrator
Reactions
It’s unfortunate firing people is the new go-to reaction to something like this. It was clearly a joke, based on a line from the movie Arthur — no big deal.

People/organizations/companies need to stop reflexively turning to banning/firing/etc., otherwise this will continue.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't describe to you how annoying this is. An 83 year old courtier, asking about one's origins might be clumsy, but to go on social media to claim that you've been traumatised to such an extent it'll live with you forever? Really? If this woman had any decency and she was legitimately concerned that racism was at play, then she could have had a quiet word with the Palace. But that's not what she did. She went on to social media for clicks. It's absolutely disgusting and just shows what a slimy victim culture world we live in right now. And for those who try to argue her side, a good friend of mine is Greek Cypriate by origin. Born and bred in the UK. It's not unusual for him to be asked where he's from, even though he sounds as typical a Londoner as the next person. So miss me with the racism bit. It's got to the stage now people can't even show human curiosity for fear of accusations of bigotry

This makes me fume even more...

And here's something from a comments section on youtube that absolutely nails it...

First off can I just say that I'm a big fan of both Stef and Shaun. You both have great channels. But I must disagree with your take that Lady Susan Hussey's comments were deplorable. Here's why. A woman of Lady Susan's age is likely to have been aware of Nigeria when it was still a British colony. It is entirely possible that she is informed enough to know certain things about Nigerian history and ethnic diversity. If that's the case, and lets assume it is (after all it's no less reasonable an assumption than to think she's a racist), then she might be aware that the Fulani are an ethnic group located in Northern Nigeria, and the name Ngozi is from the South Eastern ethnic Igbo community. Why does this matter? Well... the Igbo and Fulani are ethnic groups that are politically separated, some might even go as far as to say they don't much like each other. A large part of this relates to the Biafran war that a woman of Lady Susan's age was most likely aware of. Again.. why does this matter? It matters because if you're aware of this history the name Ngozi Fulani would be especially odd. It's clearly a made up name, and it's not one that a Nigerian is likely to use. At least not without some satirical objective. I have a number of Nigerian friends, and they all would have had similar comments to Lady Susan. No one would accuse them of being racist. The fact that this Ngozi Fulani woman is not actually Nigerian, makes one wonder if this was some sort of trap, or at least a joke of some sort. We haven't walked the path that Lady Susan has walked. It's entirely inappropriate to assume that she was racist. Her curiosity may well have been because of a respect or at least knowledge that most people are ignorant.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This makes me fume even more...

And here's something from a comments section on youtube that absolutely nails it...

First off can I just say that I'm a big fan of both Stef and Shaun. You both have great channels. But I must disagree with your take that Lady Susan Hussey's comments were deplorable. Here's why. A woman of Lady Susan's age is likely to have been aware of Nigeria when it was still a British colony. It is entirely possible that she is informed enough to know certain things about Nigerian history and ethnic diversity. If that's the case, and lets assume it is (after all it's no less reasonable an assumption than to think she's a racist), then she might be aware that the Fulani are an ethnic group located in Northern Nigeria, and the name Ngozi is from the South Eastern ethnic Igbo community. Why does this matter? Well... the Igbo and Fulani are ethnic groups that are politically separated, some might even go as far as to say they don't much like each other. A large part of this relates to the Biafran war that a woman of Lady Susan's age was most likely aware of. Again.. why does this matter? It matters because if you're aware of this history the name Ngozi Fulani would be especially odd. It's clearly a made up name, and it's not one that a Nigerian is likely to use. At least not without some satirical objective. I have a number of Nigerian friends, and they all would have had similar comments to Lady Susan. No one would accuse them of being racist. The fact that this Ngozi Fulani woman is not actually Nigerian, makes one wonder if this was some sort of trap, or at least a joke of some sort. We haven't walked the path that Lady Susan has walked. It's entirely inappropriate to assume that she was racist. Her curiosity may well have been because of a respect or at least knowledge that most people are ignorant.

She did nothing wrong. It’s not racist to ask anyone where they’re from. I get asked that all the time when I’m abroad. I got asked it in America, i got asked it in England. My brother lived in England for twenty years, he lives in New York, he gets asked it. The “victim” here is an opportunist and - I’d say - the actual bigot in this story…

Last edited:
Reactions: Horsa and mrzz
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540