Serious PC thread

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You could be the gayest man on Earth but still be attracted to Barbra Streisand; or you could be exclusively heterosexual, but meet that one dude who gives you a completely unexpected "broner." And this doesn't even get into kinks, fetishes, etc, not to mention gloryholes ;-).
The bolded part there is actually one of the indicators that a bloke is gay, but that whole paragraph made me laugh so many times. I learned a couple of new words too!
:lulz1: :lulz1:

I agree with a lot of what you said, and remember, nobody is saying that heterosexuality is a homogenous block without nuance, I said so much above. Kinsey has his categories of male sexuality, none of which, of course, makes a man less “a man.” You’re not saying it, and Kinsey isn’t either. There was a cringe segment on Jon Stewert’s show where his defence of trans included a non-funny part about tomboys and sissies, and of course none of this changes anyone’s gender either.

I largely agree with you even when it comes to somebody being trans. What’s it to me? I don’t care, and I don’t ask to be bothered about it. Be who you are. But if I think of someone as a “trans woman”, then I’ll explain what I mean: “it’s a man who feels or thinks he’s a woman”. Still a man! I’m not going to agree with any additional categories to gender that don’t exist. There are two genders: male and female. A transwoman is a man. I’ve written before about gender dysphoria and how sympathetic I am towards people who suffer this, but the gender war nowadays isn’t about gender dysphoria. This is a mental condition that everyone should have sympathy with. The gender war relating to trans is about a lot of things, but it includes the obscene attempt by the far left to eradicate differences, and present us with freakish parodies of women, men with gigantic plastic boobs in the classroom, and force us to agree that this is okay.

It’s not okay, and nor is the abuse of children that has resulted from this okay. Or any of the many abuses of children that are taking place at the hands of trans activists. They’re not okay.

As for gender specific spaces, this part can be creepy, and has led to rapists being allowed into women’s prisons, with the inevitable tragic consequences. Sometimes of course a cafe might not have facilities for both genders and so all share the bathrooms. This works. No women in this circumstance is trapped by a man in a space reserved for women.

The main issue here isn’t the people who think they can switch gender like changing channels on the telly, it’s the ideology that tells us that what’s true is now false, what’s real is now not to be considered so, and that the science that tells us that men and women are different is now irrelevant. Truth is not like a drink - “whatever you’re having yourself” - and I’ll be cold in hell before I’ll agree with these destructive lunatics that insist that society has to change to suit their disastrous - and totally dishonest - agenda…

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I’ve written before about gender dysphoria and how sympathetic I am towards people who suffer this, but the gender war nowadays isn’t about gender dysphoria. This is a mental condition that everyone should have sympathy with. The gender war relating to trans is about a lot of things, but it includes the obscene attempt by the far left to eradicate differences, and present us with freakish parodies of women, men with gigantic plastic boobs in the classroom, and force us to agree that this is okay.

Yes, gender dysphoria is real, and I, too, have sympathy for people who have this. It must be confusing, frustrating, and probably scary. At least until there’s some form of resolution, perhaps in the form of surgery and/or drugs, such as hormones.

But I want to take a brief detour to address something I mentioned only casually a while ago: the idea of separating the T from LGB. Focus on the word “dysphoria” defined as “a state of dissatisfaction, anxiety, or restlessness.” In other words, there’s a problem — a disorder — which needs to be addressed. Something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

This is completely different to homosexuality. My sexual orientation (not preference!) leads me towards people of the same sex. Lesbians, gays, and bisexuals don’t have problems which need to be handled through drug therapy or surgery. It does a disservice to both the LGB’s and the T’s to lump them all together.

I hope this clarifies my thoughts on the issue …

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I 100% agree! It does a tremendous disservice to lump them together

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, gender dysphoria is real, and I, too, have sympathy for people who have this. It must be confusing, frustrating, and probably scary. At least until there’s some form of resolution, perhaps in the form of surgery and/or drugs, such as hormones.

But I want to take a brief detour to address something I mentioned only casually a while ago: the idea of separating the T from LGB. Focus on the word “dysphoria” defined as “a state of dissatisfaction, anxiety, or restlessness.” In other words, there’s a problem — a disorder — which needs to be addressed. Something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

This is completely different to homosexuality. My sexual orientation (not preference!) leads me towards people of the same sex. Lesbians, gays, and bisexuals don’t have problems which need to be handled through drug therapy or surgery. It does a disservice to both the LGB’s and the T’s to lump them all together.

Speaking of the alphabet soup, do you think it serves any purpose now? What’s the point of all these letters, they seem more and more ridiculous? Are there any rights still being withheld from the gay community? There’s a whole month dedicated to it, everywhere in the media it’s celebrated, characters in movies are being openly outed etc - what’s the point of it all now? It’s as if no progress at all has been made, when in fact the opposite is true. I’m sure that most gay people just live their lives oblivious to what the LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ+++ “community” are getting up to…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
How about this…

The west will lose the next big war because it has too many people in positions of power who think everything is relative, there’s no truth anywhere, the “other” Is more deserving because they’re fighting western-made oppression, and who don’t believe the west is the most successful and progressive civilisation the world has ever seen, and for that alone, if not for its magnificent culture, is worth defending…

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Speaking of the alphabet soup, do you think it serves any purpose now? What’s the point of all these letters, they seem more and more ridiculous? Are there any rights still being withheld from the gay community? There’s a whole month dedicated to it, everywhere in the media it’s celebrated, characters in movies are being openly outed etc - what’s the point of it all now? It’s as if no progress at all has been made, when in fact the opposite is true. I’m sure that most gay people just live their lives oblivious to what the LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ+++ “community” are getting up to…

LGBTQ Americans Aren’t Fully Protected From Discrimination in 29 States

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Really?! So there’s the other side of the coin, thanks for showing that. Shocking!
I’m not sure if this is true, but I heard a while ago that in the US, LGBT is the only group it’s still legal to discriminate against.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m not sure if this is true, but I heard a while ago that in the US, LGBT is the only group it’s still legal to discriminate against.
I’m sorry to hear that, brother, that’s a cause that’s worth hassling your Senators for until it’s changed…

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure, either, but surely on the list. Same-sex marriage is on the docket for the Supreme Court, or will be soon. I'm not sure how we live in a country where marriages are legal in some states, but not in others, but we have before. Loving v. Virginia. Will we really revert to that? But this "Supreme" Court is willing to walk back a lot of rights. :face-with-symbols-on-mouth:

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

This is a well-made argument, and I get what you're saying. Now that transitioning for some people is so completely, well, binary, if you will, like, say, Caitlin Jenner, or, back in the day, Renee Richards, what does this have to do with the LGBTQ community? I do get that differentiation. I thought your distinction about "dysphoria" is important. Though, in fairness, there was a "dysphoria" for gay and bi-people for a long time, about their orientation. I'm not trying to minimize your very good argument that being completely uncomfortable in your body is not the same as being out and committedly gay, but there was a time that that wasn't so easy. There was a "dysphoria," for many people, between how they felt their orientation, and how the world wanted them to present themselves. You define it as "“a state of dissatisfaction, anxiety, or restlessness.” Gay people took on straight marriages and demeanors all the time, etc. This is not ancient history.

The "Q" in the acronym salad is "Queer." For a long time, trans people had only the gay community for a haven, which is why I think it's fair to include them. Where we are now is that there are a lot of people who choose to identify as "gender-queer," without making any physical or hormonal changes. How do you feel about that inclusion? And I think it has been asked around here, what is the "+?"

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Having skimmed the last bunch of posts, there are a couple of things I'd like to add.

For one, there is this characterization of a "heterosexual man" as if all share the same traits, feelings, and proclivities. Sexuality and preference isn't always so clear, black and white, or binary. Perhaps the first clear elucidation of this--which while appearing simple compared to today's views, still works and illustrates the point--is the "Kinsey Scale," which is from 0 (exclusively heterosexual) to 6 (exclusively homosexual). The point being, sexual preference exists on a spectrum, not a binary.

Furthermore, not all heterosexual men are alike in terms of their feelings about sex with other men, or trans people. Some heterosexual men have no desire for other men, but also less disgust than is implied by some of the comments above. Even exclusively heterosexual people (a Kinsey 0) may vary to the degree to which they are repulsed by homosexuality. Or someone who has a "tinge of bisexuality" (a Kinsey 1) could still only ever have sex with the opposite gender, but be open to a homosexual experience, in the right context.
Exactly. My point is that I don't think all of those men were so "surprised." Some of them could well have been into it
And of course Kinsey only offers one axis, and a relatively simple view of sexuality. There are countless possible variations, and every individual is different. You could be the gayest man on Earth but still be attracted to Barbra Streisand;
No, gay men love Barbra for other reasons. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
or you could be exclusively heterosexual, but meet that one dude who gives you a completely unexpected "broner." And this doesn't even get into kinks, fetishes, etc, not to mention gloryholes ;-).
Upon being introduced to a gay friend, by another gay friend, when it came up, and I said I was straight, he said, "Honey, there's a kink in everybody."
As far as the gender status of trans people, I sort of split the difference between the camps above. I don't agree with, to quote Kieran, the "radical left's" view that anyone who wants to be a woman is a woman, but also have no issue with trans women identifying as trans women. But that's where I differ from the left: I think a trans woman is a trans woman - not in the same category as biological woman, and thus I think the "trans" part should be included in terms of identification.

I also have no issue with trans people being trans. I mean, viva la difference. I don't have a problem with them trying to pass, as long as they aren't deceitful (e.g. in sexual encounters). But where I find this issue becoming a concern are in context where trans women, or policies around trans women, are either A) Involving dishonesty and/or sexual deceit, and B) Taking self-determination away from biological women.
I don't know what it means to take "self-determination away from biological women." Please explain.
As an example of the latter, let's take what might seem like one of the milder elements of the overall topic: bathrooms.The "radical left" might say, "Who cares about bathrooms? Let anyone use whatever bathroom they want - especially someone who identifies as a woman, regardless of whether she has a penis or not." In an ideal world where we have no hang-ups and where no one has ever been sexually abused, I would tend to agree with her and say that all bathrooms should just be co-ed (even if I tend to prefer not dropping a deuce with a woman in the stall next-door ;)).
This is not self-determination, for women, though I agree with decent co-ed bathrooms. For the record, your above is why women do not like to share bathrooms with men. Not because we're afraid of them or that assault in bathrooms is common. It's because men's bathrooms are gross. You pee all over the room, and you "drop a deuce" in them. Women do not poop in public bathrooms. Period. End of story. And speaking of periods, we have them, and deal with them, but don't leave the place looking like an abattoir. Men's bathroom reek of urine, are genuinely filthy, and lots of dodgy sex goes on in them. No wonder you guys are nervous. But please go into a woman's bathroom. They generally smell of lavender, or nothing, no one has sex in them, and usually the worst thing that happens to us is when the toilet paper has run out. Even then, there is a collegiality, and women hand each other kleenex under the stalls.
But quite a number of women don't feel this way, and feel that a space of safety and privacy is being invaded by biological men. I mean, some statistics show that over 40% of all women have been sexually assaulted in some form or fashion, and as many as one-in-six women in the US have been raped (including attempted rape) - an astonishing figure. And most of those crimes are committed by men. Biologically male trans women are not exempt from "hypothetical rapist" status.
Someone else has already questioned this stat. I would say that 60-80% have been misused/abused in some fashion, especially in the workplace, by which I mean being undermined, threatened, and loss of work. I don't know what the official static is for assault or rape, which is very different. Though I do believe that it has been historically under-reported.
So for me, when some (many) women express hesitation about biological men/trans women sharing their bathrooms (or prisons), I don't write them off as being hung-up or transphobic or "Karens."
How many women have expressed this anxiety, compared to men? To me, it seems to be a pretty male obsession.
So this is a weird element of the trans issue: it isn't simply about trans activists vs. conservative Christians, it is also trans activists vs. gay activists, and trans activists vs. feminists (aka, the pejorative "TERFs"). This is where I think the more extreme trans activists are harming their own cause: Whether it is accusing men who won't date trans women as being "transphobic," or insisting that formerly women-only spaces are now open to biological men, or trans women participating in women's sports, etc. It isn't simply advocating for equal treatment; it is taking something away from others, be it a sense of safety and privacy, or self-determination and preference around sexuality, etc.

So I empathize with those women who are concerned about trans women (biological men) in women's bathrooms, even if it isn't an issue 99.9% of the time. And I even empathize with the view among some gay people that children are being "groomed" away from "traditional homosexuality," but transition as part of a cultural fad. I also empathize with the hypothetical heterosexual men who feel deceived by a trans woman.
I think you're right when you say that women being concerned about trans women in the bathrooms is not the issue 99.9% of the time. It's not an issue for women...only for nervous straight men.

And I have never heard of one incidence of a straight guy refusing to date a trans woman and being called "transphobic." I think you already said you made that up. It's more been people like JK Rowling, for the things that they say, not what they do, or don't, who get called "transphobic."

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a well-made argument, and I get what you're saying. Now that transitioning for some people is so completely, well, binary, if you will, like, say, Caitlin Jenner, or, back in the day, Renee Richards, what does this have to do with the LGBTQ community? I do get that differentiation. I thought your distinction about "dysphoria" is important. Though, in fairness, there was a "dysphoria" for gay and bi-people for a long time, about their orientation. I'm not trying to minimize your very good argument that being completely uncomfortable in your body is not the same as being out and committedly gay, but there was a time that that wasn't so easy. There was a "dysphoria," for many people, between how they felt their orientation, and how the world wanted them to present themselves. You define it as "“a state of dissatisfaction, anxiety, or restlessness.” Gay people took on straight marriages and demeanors all the time, etc. This is not ancient history.

The "Q" in the acronym salad is "Queer." For a long time, trans people had only the gay community for a haven, which is why I think it's fair to include them. Where we are now is that there are a lot of people who choose to identify as "gender-queer," without making any physical or hormonal changes. How do you feel about that inclusion? And I think it has been asked around here, what is the "+?"
Lol! The audacity! Even though you claim not to be lumping homosexuality with trans-genderism, you're actually trying to get away with doing exactly that:face-with-tears-of-joy: Homosexuality is an objective fact. It is a reality for nearly 10% of the population as I understand it, and it's not unique to the human species. Trans-genderism doesn't have the same credibility. You insult an entire community of people trying to create a false equivalence to suit your drive for perceived social justice. In reality you're promoting social injustice, but we'll save that for another time. There is nothing more profound about gender dysphoria, which is what this is, than anorexia nervosa. If there's any difference from anorexia it's probably the fact that the solution for this ailment involves expensive surgery which benefits an entire sub-economy. The whole thing is appalling.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with the new Italian leader, social justice warriors are trying to take away our identities. To destroy the things that make us unique. Trying to create a fascistic world where we're all the same and differences are denied and certainly not celebrated. It's a nightmare

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lol! The audacity! Even though you claim not to be lumping homosexuality with trans-genderism, you're actually trying to get away with doing exactly that:face-with-tears-of-joy:
No, I didn't claim that I wasn't "lumping" them together, and I'm certainly not trying to "get away with" anything. I was asking questions within the context of the historical alliance, and also in terms of the more ambiguous "gender-queer."
Homosexuality is an objective fact. It is a reality for nearly 10% of the population as I understand it, and it's not unique to the human species. Trans-genderism doesn't have the same credibility. You insult an entire community of people trying to create a false equivalence to suit your drive for perceived social justice. In reality you're promoting social injustice, but we'll save that for another time. There is nothing more profound about gender dysphoria, which is what this is, than anorexia nervosa. If there's any difference from anorexia it's probably the fact that the solution for this ailment involves expensive surgery which benefits an entire sub-economy. The whole thing is appalling.
I'm not trying to create any equivalence, and you could hold off telling me that I have some drive for "perceived social justice." I was having a conversation, and you could hold off sneering.
The more I think about it, the more I agree with the new Italian leader, social justice warriors are trying to take away our identities. To destroy the things that make us unique. Trying to create a fascistic world where we're all the same and differences are denied and certainly not celebrated. It's a nightmare
Well, now we know where you're landing.

See how that kind of accusation isn't fair? If you could read my post as it was intended, and stop telling me what my motivations are, then I will refrain from calling you a "far-right sympathizer." (Comment is meant as tongue-in-cheek, so try not to explode.)

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
@Federberg and @Kieran, I was in the middle of replying to both of you but lost the post...oh well, must be a sign from above. Anyhow, mostly agreement.

One bit to Federberg: I got that stat on a quick web search. I guess the key is what they mean by "sexually assaulted"...my guess it is rather broad-brush, though presumably something beyond just an advance or whistle. And yes, a lot of men are sexually assaulted, but at a significantly lower rate.

Oh, and here's a nice little tid-bit of the state of American education (as evinced by the students):

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Federberg and @Kieran, I was in the middle of replying to both of you but lost the post...oh well, must be a sign from above. Anyhow, mostly agreement.

One bit to Federberg: I got that stat on a quick web search. I guess the key is what they mean by "sexually assaulted"...my guess it is rather broad-brush, though presumably something beyond just an advance or whistle. And yes, a lot of men are sexually assaulted, but at a significantly lower rate.

Oh, and here's a nice little tid-bit of the state of American education (as evinced by the students):

Your video, in which the women says that the male and female brain are different led me to this. It's very interesting. It may help explain gender dysphoria. It's maybe partly in the gonads, but it's also in the brain. Which would equate it not with a mental illness, like anorexia, as @Federberg would have it, but with a mixture of hormonal signals to the brain. We do know that men who have extra X chromosomes tend to be aggressive. I thought this study of hormones and brain development was interesting:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think what you meant to say is that men are likely to report sexual assault less frequently. I'm not saying that they are victims as much as women, but there are reasons fundamentally built into who we are and social stigma that makes men far less likely to report these things. I'm just very careful these days because I used to take it as given that women were the primary victims of spousal violence until someone showed me the data.... it's almost 50 - 50! And if you change the definition from violence to abuse it probably flips the other way. There are consensus views about the male female dynamic that are wrong and we don't even know it...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540