Serious PC thread

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m not arguing about not watching it, I’m wondering why you want to spend time arguing 2000 years of history but won’t paraphrase a tiny video :lulz1:
I'm not arguing about anything... merely sharing information. Seems to have touched a nerve, but no problem.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not arguing about anything... merely sharing information. Seems to have touched a nerve, but no problem.
You’re not sharing information, you’re demanding we watch a video that you won’t explain. And to avoid explanations you’re trying to turn the conversation to one about church history. Now, if in reply to this, I refer to you many, many long books about church history, but don’t tell you what the books are about, would you think I’m being evasive? Especially if I meanwhile changed the subject, too?

It’s no problem if you don’t want to give me the gist of the content of the video, but don’t try change the subject at the same time. I probably would have watched the whole video by now, if you had given me an interesting enough synopsis…

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You’re not sharing information, you’re demanding we watch a video that you won’t explain. And to avoid explanations you’re trying to turn the conversation to one about church history. Now, if in reply to this, I refer to you many, many long books about church history, but don’t tell you what the books are about, would you think I’m being evasive? Especially if I meanwhile changed the subject, too?

It’s no problem if you don’t want to give me the gist of the content of the video, but don’t try change the subject at the same time. I probably would have watched the whole video by now, if you had given me an interesting enough synopsis…
The video is about sound technology and the ability to create, heal and destroy. Once you understand it, the creation stories come alive. I've already stated what it was about, and far from "demanding" you watch it, I've said the opposite. If you're not interested in this stuff then don't watch it. I have little appetite for spending hours debating how you spend 20 minutes of your time.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The video is about sound technology and the ability to create, heal and destroy. Once you understand it, the creation stories come alive. I've already stated what it was about, and far from "demanding" you watch it, I've said the opposite. If you're not interested in this stuff then don't watch it. I have little appetite for spending hours debating how you spend 20 minutes of your time.
You showed more appetite for arguing than you did for simply typing out the first sentence of your above post, which was all I asked for.

Sounds interesting though, I’ll give it a whirl when I get a chance. Cheers brother!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Bill Maher really whacks it out of the park, as they say in America. He calls his own side out on their BS as often as he calls it the other side, which is a sign of a good faith player, and an independent thinker. He’s funny too: “women never get enough credit for the things they didn’t do!”

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You showed more appetite for arguing than you did for simply typing out the first sentence of your above post, which was all I asked for.

Sounds interesting though, I’ll give it a whirl when I get a chance. Cheers brother!
I gave you the same summary yesterday - maybe you missed it. Yes, It's very interesting!

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I gave you the same summary yesterday - maybe you missed it. Yes, It's very interesting!
I might have missed it, I wasn’t trolling by asking you for one, I didn’t know. I’ll check him out. The missus is in the health bustles so she might be familiar. She’s a voracious reader of so many diverse ideas, she’s quite critical too, scientifically trained but working holistically…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think I mentioned 'white non-hispanics'. Isn't it sad that you immediately sub-categorised the group (progressives) that I mentioned?
That's why I asked you if that's what you meant. Because you do seem to think of this as a top-down imposition. You kind of reject any ownership that I try to describe to you of people defining their own terms.
The article does raise an interesting issue that illuminates the difficulty Democrats have with the community. It's not a monolith. Immigrants from Cuba are different from those from Argentina, or Chile, or Brazil... etc. These are different people. Trying to sweep them all into one grouping is culturally disrespectful and politically dangerous. They want different things and see the world in different ways.
Again, I'm not talking about how Democrats or anyone else defines Latino/Hispanic, etc., I'm talking about how they define themselves. As a Spanish speaker (and Portuguese speaker) it is not lost on me, or I think most Democrats, if you need to put it in political terms, that Spanish and Portuguese speakers from the Americas, in particular, are not a monolith. I live in NYC. I know a lot about the difference between being Domican or Puerto Rican or Mexican or Argentinian v. Chilean and I could go on. What you refuse to acknowledge is that the "Latinx" conversation comes from within the community, not from without.

I'm not sure how conservative define intersectionality. I'm familiar with Crenshaw, and her thinking on the term. My point is that in order to use the State to legislate away the obstacles that sub-categories (black, woman, gay, disabled etc) you are implicitly assigning victimhood to them. I'll speak for men, we don't like being associated with victimhood. and legislating away obstacles or barriers hasn't been particularly successful or has resulted in unintended consequences. In most cases there are already laws on the books that would serve the cause if used. Let's try that, advocate for that...
In the article I cited to you, conservatives DO define intersectionality using the term "victimhood," which is not Crenshaw's original intention. If you read it, her intention is not to legislate for it, but to shed light. You are the one who says that it assigns victimhood, not the woman who came up with the concept to try to distinguish between the problems that different people have in different ways.
If I may presume to represent both @britbox and myself, we have a rather more cynical view of the effectiveness of the State. We don't necessarily always disagree with your intent, what you want the State to do, or how you wish the world to be. We just recognise that establishing laws to achieve those aims is extremely dangerous and often counterproductive
When I was having this conversation with you, I thought we were talking about how people identify themselves, not what anyone wants the State to do about it. That's all brought in by you.

Let me try to give you one example, that's resulted in the utter devastation of African American culture, so far as I can see. After the civil rights legislation, and also sex discrimination legislation, I have no doubt that progressives assumed that a brave new utopian world would arise from those major victories. But on the ground... in the real world. Companies and the government, faced with navigating the new legal terrain quickly realised that in order to comply with the legislation they could kill two birds with one stone. They hired African American women, to the disadvantage of African American men. Which led to a powerful feedback loop into the African American community, with the men becoming less motivated to seek higher education. The net result over time has been the devastation of the African American family unit. Pre- 1960, divorce was less likely in the African American family than in any other racial group. Now only 25% of African American women will ever get married in their lifetimes, if I understand the data correctly. This was not something that could have been predicted. It's an unintended consequence. Be wary of the change you push for, it might lead to changes never wanted.
This is a very interesting theory, and not without merit, but it is premised on the notion that the great machine favored African American women over African American men, in, what, the 60s? Or 70s? I'd like to see you back that up. I'd say that happened later, and one of the more powerful things that happened to the destruction of the African American family was the Rockefeller Drug Laws, and the generally racist "law and order" policies that came into being as a response to civil rights legislation. Who fell down on the hard side of that, and even now? Black men.

My discussion here was about how people self-identify. You have made it about policy. That's a different discussion.

I see the conversation has moved on, to some odd places, so I'm ok if you're done with this one.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You kind of reject any ownership that I try to describe to you of people defining their own terms.
that may be the case, but it's also beyond the community. When politicians use the term as a catch-all it's highly insulting. I have Latino and Latina friends who've rolled their eyes at the woke-ness of Democrats.

In the article I cited to you, conservatives DO define intersectionality using the term "victimhood," which is not Crenshaw's original intention. If you read it, her intention is not to legislate for it, but to shed light.
you do realise this is semantics don't you? She built her case observing how discrimination laws were interpreted. If you're being discriminated against, you're being victimised. I think any reasonable person would agree with that? Her thesis, what she's shedding light on, is the fact sometimes you can be discriminated against in multiple ways at the same time and the legislation was framed in a way that it failed to account for that. Her surprise about how her thesis has morphed and grown isn't surprising at all. I'm surprised you're surprised if you are. I'll give her credit for the original insight, but a big demerit for not seeing the obvious ramifications for human interaction and action.

When I was having this conversation with you, I thought we were talking about how people identify themselves, not what anyone wants the State to do about it. That's all brought in by you.
Lol! I've got news for you. Those of us who are railing against the wokeness we see in the world wouldn't give two shits about what people do to themselves if it wasn't put in the public space and began affecting us. This whole thing becomes an issue because we are being asked by the State/ society to accept things or change our behaviour to accommodate some fairly ridiculous things. There's no way you don't see that, so this is sophistry. I'm pretty sure you've thrown -ism labels somewhere in this thread, to try to reinforce this new social construct. Let's be real here...

My discussion here was about how people self-identify

I'll repeat.... people can self-identify as whatever they want, as long as others are not forced to join in the charade. You're not debating in good faith if you act like the policy changes that come along with these changes are a separate issue.

Reactions: britbox and Kieran

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not sure if this belongs in the Serious PC thread, or the silly PC thread, because it's both.

This is the world we live in. Funny though.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not sure if this belongs in the Serious PC thread, or the silly PC thread, because it's both.

8EECAD54-CB79-4DAD-BC7D-13EA4B377658.jpeg

Here’s their philosophy professors…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

^ I simply don't understand anyone who's supporting this trans-gender thing doesn't recognise the absurdity of this!

Reactions: britbox and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I simply don't understand anyone who's supporting this trans-gender thing doesn't recognise the absurdity of this!
Absurdity, and the fact that this is plainly a case of mental illness...one that radical left activists are working like thunder to normalise...

Reactions: britbox

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

Ok, the day people defend a trans man that looks exactly like the pic bellow, I will gladly support the lady above:

1663698089138.png

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran and britbox

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Viz!! haven't thought about it for decades. Is it still around I wonder? I guess all this pc shit would have ended it

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ok, the day people defend a trans man that looks exactly like the pic bellow, I will gladly support the lady above:

View attachment 7230
It reminds me of a character in a satirical comic I used to read many years ago in the UK. Federberg and Kieran might remember Viz magazine.

buster_gonad_viz_comic.jpg

Viz!! haven't thought about it for decades. Is it still around I wonder? I guess all this pc shit would have ended it
Still going by all accounts! Although, a shadow of it's former self regarding circulation - approximately 48,000 still buy it - way down from it's heyday position of 1.2 million in sales and occupying the slot of third best selling magazine in the UK!

Other Characters I remember - Roger Mellie, Biffa Bacon, Student Grant, Cockney Wanker... it had a good old dig at all the old stereotypes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540