Serious PC thread

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think that is absolutely ridiculous. When I was in 1st school, the only times you could be an animal was in English class when you were reading, writing a story or poem or when you were in drama. The same went for other schools. The rest of the time if you insisted you were an animal you were told that was silly & you were a girl/boy (which is what I think should happen now). I wish I was a horse at times but that doesn't mean I can be a horse just because I want to. These children need to learn that they are what they are (girl/boy) & they can't always get what they want. They have to learn to accept themselves for who they are (which can be hard).
Exactly. And the playful imaginative nature of kids should be encouraged - let them naturally think in fantastical terms about themselves, it's a basic part of developing - but there's a difference between playing and clinically believing. If there wasn't, they'd release all the angry little chaps from asylums who believe that they're Napoleon...

Reactions: Horsa

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a very interesting discussion about race, education, what people mean when they say they feel unsafe, what new definitions of the word trauma imply, and how the "guardrails" of democracy and liberal arts education are "made of tissue paper, and not concrete." The video lasts 7 minutes:

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This is a very interesting discussion about race, education, what people mean when they say they feel unsafe, what new definitions of the word trauma imply, and how the "guardrails" of democracy and liberal arts education are "made of tissue paper, and not concrete." The video lasts 7 minutes:

Interesting, relevant discussion. It’s always worth listening to Glen Loury and John McWhorter.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Exactly. And the playful imaginative nature of kids should be encouraged - let them naturally think in fantastical terms about themselves, it's a basic part of developing - but there's a difference between playing and clinically believing. If there wasn't, they'd release all the angry little chaps from asylums who believe that they're Napoleon...
Exactly. I agree. That's why I thought it was disgusting that they were just left to think they were cats, dogs, horses etc. They should be left to think that while acting or writing stories or poems but they should be told differently if they're saying it at other times so they don't believe it.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Whatever the topic, this is the level of debate that crybullies operate at. When your attempt to passively attack someone fails and you have nothing else, accuse your tormenter of being a bigot who questions your very existence:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a sobering and depressing read. France is gone loony, is the tl:dr version. The blame lands on French philosophers and the aping of American activism. The article is by Dora Moutot, a French feminist.

The corruption of French feminism

Isabelle Rome, the minister for gender equality, diversity and equal opportunities, shared a clip of my debate on Twitter, saying: “These words are very violent. Every person needs to be respected for their gender identity or for their sexual orientation. It’s not others who have to define the contours. To use the words of Amin Maalouf: ‘It’s our gaze who liberates.’”

You can already sense a corrupt, seething illogic in the ministers words…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is important…

I can understand the principle behind protecting the identity of women who have been brutalised by men, that they can have justice while not having their privacy invaded too, but there needs to be some level of care for men who get falsely accused and it’s shown that the accusation was malicious.

But this case? It’s not only a false allegation but the fact that Yale created a banana-court where they got to dismiss the defendant’s witnesses and push through a judgement they’d agreed in advance - because they’re all screwed up by vindictive ideologies?

I hope he wins so hard that Yale shuts down.
15 women’s and victims rights non-profits which included Legal Momentum, the National Women’s Law Center, Futures without Violence, the National Crime Victims’ Law Institute, Know Your IX, National Alliance to End Sexual Violence wrote an amicus brief in support of Jane Doe’s immunity for making false statements.

:facepalm:

Reactions: Federberg

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This is a sobering and depressing read. France is gone loony, is the tl:dr version. The blame lands on French philosophers and the aping of American activism. The article is by Dora Moutot, a French feminist.

The corruption of French feminism

You can already sense a corrupt, seething illogic in the ministers words…
When I was in college, postmodernism, Derrida, and continental philosophy were the rage. I studied all of this, with the exception of Foucault. It piqued my curiosity, therefore, when I saw a reference to them, particularly because a lot of what they did has been warped into other things which suit contemporary writers/thinkers (Judith Butler is a prime example of trying to incorporate Derrida’s ideas into her theories, yet doesn’t understand them at all).

If the writer of an article such as the one you cite is going to include a link to a piece about Derrida and Foucault, saying we have them “to thank for the idea that there is no objective truth,” the writer should first take the time to read the actual article. The synopsis even states: “The pair are commonly cast as absolute moral relativists for whom there is no truth whatsoever—a position which not only did they not argue, but were at pains to disavow.“ This reflects very poorly on the author.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
When I was in college, postmodernism, Derrida, and continental philosophy were the rage. I studied all of this, with the exception of Foucault. It piqued my curiosity, therefore, when I saw a reference to them, particularly because a lot of what they did has been warped into other things which suit contemporary writers/thinkers (Judith Butler is a prime example of trying to incorporate Derrida’s ideas into her theories, yet doesn’t understand them at all).

If the writer of an article such as the one you cite is going to include a link to a piece about Derrida and Foucault, saying we have them “to thank for the idea that there is no objective truth,” the writer should first take the time to read the actual article. The synopsis even states: “The pair are commonly cast as absolute moral relativists for whom there is no truth whatsoever—a position which not only did they not argue, but were at pains to disavow.“ This reflects very poorly on the author.
So the thing they didn’t say had caught the popular imagination as being the thing they said - with catastrophic results when activists use this mistaken assumption to reshape the world?

That sums up far left radicals! Hard fought screeching, violent ideals - based on a lie…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I hear the California State Congress has passed a law to label parents abusers if they refuse to acknowledge the gender identification of kids. It still needs to be ratified by the Senate and then signed into law by Newsom. This could end his nationwide ambitions. Let’s see if California goes Canada-woke

• Wow
Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
For the idiots that defend trans in women’s spaces

I think that support for the trans community is often indistinguishable from misogyny. How the hell can school boards be so dismissive of parents concerns and student safety that they lie to protect sex offenders?

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm glad the Supreme Court has gutted Affirmative Action. It's unconscionable that oriental families are penalised for ensuring that their children are properly educated. It's clear that not all black students require Affirmative Action. Just look at Nigerian American's. They're killing it in Ivy League schools. Want to know what's different? They have traditional family units and education is considered vital for the children. Why should anyone be penalised for doing the right thing? If anything I sense that these so called progressive distortions have exacerbated the atrocity of the black American single family, as people assume they'll get unearned opportunities from the government. Here's an interesting clip that ties in with this...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm glad the Supreme Court has gutted Affirmative Action. It's unconscionable that oriental families are penalised for ensuring that their children are properly educated. It's clear that not all black students require Affirmative Action. Just look at Nigerian American's. They're killing it in Ivy League schools. Want to know what's different? They have traditional family units and education is considered vital for the children. Why should anyone be penalised for doing the right thing? If anything I sense that these so called progressive distortions have exacerbated the atrocity of the black American single family, as people assume they'll get unearned opportunities from the government. Here's an interesting clip that ties in with this...

PS, not sure about the George Soros bit... but getting up and taking responsibility for your life? Word...

tented

Administrator
Reactions

I’d never considered it from this perspective. Very interesting mini-speech by him.

(Not sure about the Soros bit either — he has become a go-to target too often.)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
thanks for this. The amount of vitriol directed towards Soros is frankly disturbing. There's definitely an anti-semitic flavour to it. It always seems to come up in conversations when someone is discussing anti-Jewish topics... Palestine etc. Basically it sounds like he's the lefts version of the Koch brothers. Nothing sinister, just someone who believes in promoting liberal values and democratic institutions. I guess it's not surprising that the right, who are so effective at demonising people, have worked their dark magic on his endeavours. I'm starting to wonder if the same applies to Bill Gates actually..

Reactions: Kieran and tented
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 8540