Roland Garros / French Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude, you think Rune can pull out the win against Zverev?
Probably not, but if Rune pulls out the win, it would change the way I look at him. Rune has had a very easy road here.

I've always said that I'm not sold on Rune. He needs to beat a seeded player. This is his chance.

Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude, you think Rune can pull out the win against Zverev?
Maybe? I mean, sure he's got the talent and sometimes it feels like he's one big match from a breakout. But Zverev is locked in, and if he wasn't cowed by Rafa, I don't think seeing the Nordic Brat across the net will mess him up. So my money is on Zverev, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if Holger stepped up.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ruud serving for the 3rd set 5-4, broken Fritz serving to consolidate the break
Ruud breaks and wins the 3rd set 64
Ruud leads 2 sets to 1
BTW Fritz has been having hip problems, trainer has been out again in this match

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ruud d Fritz 76(6) 36 64 62
Sad to say Fritz was hampered by hip injury in this match, RG being the most physical of all the GS.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Holger Rune wins the 1set, 6-4. Now, let’s see if Rune can keep his focus or will it be another 5-setter for both players.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Liked the way Holger came back from being down love 30 when he was serving for the 1st set, and seals it with an Ace
Also he using his good volley skills at the net, catching out Zverev standing on the baseline, exposing Zverev's fhand wing

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Maybe? I mean, sure he's got the talent and sometimes it feels like he's one big match from a breakout. But Zverev is locked in, and if he wasn't cowed by Rafa, I don't think seeing the Nordic Brat across the net will mess him up. So my money is on Zverev, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if Holger stepped up.

Why is Holger more of a brat than any of the others in this latest generation of stars? Is it "he can take it" b/c he's been good enough to challenge the top players? IMO, they're all petulant children who've been coddled since birth! I'm shocked the "hatahs" have been tottally sedated & quieted by Djokovic! If it were Nadal who triumphed w/ 2 five set wins, the adulation, applause, & lauding w/b insufferable! I don't blame them! I felt pretty much the same when Nadal was able to steal his last 2 majors in '22! Novak wasn't allowed to play "down under" or at the 1st 2 Masters (Sunshine Double) of the season! I think I'm going to "coin" myself the "reverse hater!" Loved Borg coming along to shorten Connors' stay at #1, then Lendl knocked McEnroe down a peg, Sampras owned his era over Agassi, & I can't say enough of how I appreciate what Novak's done to make sure Fedal's pedestal stay was short-lived! He's breaking most if not just about all the top records sooner than either Roger or Rafa could!:face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In my view he has more weapons than Zverev to begin with, he also has the ability to defeat Zverev in this match
My doubts over Rune’s long term success has never been about the weaponry. When he is on, it is some of the most beautiful tennis I have ever seen. It’s his body and mind that make me hold my breath sometimes..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
My doubts over Rune’s long term success has never been about the weaponry. When he is on, it is some of the most beautiful tennis I have ever seen. It’s his body and mind that make me hold my breath sometimes..
It is his focus that can be a worry agree, also he does have a temper, there have been injury concerns, he has just turned 21, some players do take time to 'mature' hopefully he can reach his potential he has the game.

Reactions: nehmeth

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, we will see if Ruud has it in him to score another win over Djokovic. Djokovic has been there for the taking, but so far he has survived.

• Haha

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This Zverev vs Rune match will come down to Zverev’s fitness vs Rune’s clutch abilities.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, we will see if Ruud has it in him to score another win over Djokovic. Djokovic has been there for the taking, but so far he has survived.
How many times can Novak survive, surely Ruud wont 'choke' if he has the upper hand in the match, I have taken back Musetti's Italian passport until he gets his brain together and improves his physicality in 5 set matches

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rune saving 2 BPs with 2 great 1st serves leading 6-5 3rd set, hmm he did have a break early in the 3rd set

Status
Not open for further replies.