Rogers Cup 2019, Montreal, Canada, ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am fully aware that Roger has not won Montreal. It is not news to me. I don't know what makes you think that you shut me up by mentioning it.

This defending title business is an esoteric stat and does not have real significance. At the end of the day, in tennis it is about winning titles, lots of them and big ones at that. I admit to bringing it up as it is an interesting curiosity and not because it has real significance.

It is not that the goal post is moved and suddenly WTF is an issue. It was always an issue and a real one at that, unlike "defending titles".
I admit the WTF is an actual issue for Rafa, though, as you say, the important thing is winning titles and lots of them, which he has done quite well, including some vast majority of the big ones. Funny, I just told you the other day, on this thread that defending titles didn't have much significance. Now you find this the appropriate opportunity to inform me of same. I don't generally go in for vindictiveness, but since you've been the "Queen of Mean" on the non-defense of titles off-clay, vis-a-vis Nadal, I'm here to say you don't get a pass on this one. At least Darth and Front admitted they'd lost a "hating chip" on Nadal. As the one who pushed that specific point harder than anyone else, you would do well to man-up on that one, too, instead of just falling limply back and saying that it never mattered, anyway.

Reactions: tented

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I admit the WTF is an actual issue for Rafa, though, as you say, the important thing is winning titles and lots of them, which he has done quite well, including some vast majority of the big ones. Funny, I just told you the other day, on this thread that defending titles didn't have much significance. Now you find this the appropriate opportunity to inform me of same. I don't generally go in for vindictiveness, but since you've been the "Queen of Mean" on the non-defense of titles off-clay, vis-a-vis Nadal, I'm here to say you don't get a pass on this one. At least Darth and Front admitted they'd lost a "hating chip" on Nadal. As the one who pushed that specific point harder than anyone else, you would do well to man-up on that one, too, instead of just falling limply back and saying that it never mattered, anyway.
I am also in "Darth and Front camp" and say congrats to Rafa for finally defending hard court title, thus proving he's not just a clay player. His defence was quite easy this time, as with Fed & Joker missing, and 1 WO, and only 1 match (Fognini) being somewhat difficult, rest of his play was like if at 250 level tourney at most. Nonetheless, it was nominally a hard court M1000 defence in a dominating style. Well done.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am also in "Darth and Front camp" and say congrats to Rafa for finally defending hard court title, thus proving he's not just a clay player. His defence was quite easy this time, as with Fed & Joker missing, and 1 WO, and only 1 match (Fognini) being somewhat difficult, rest of his play was like if at 250 level tourney at most. Nonetheless, it was nominally a hard court M1000 defence in a dominating style. Well done.
If you think this is what it took for Rafa to prove he's not just a clay player, I don't think you've been paying attention, all due respect. Also, if you think that's what Darth and Front were saying, I think you misread them. :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It was the match vs silent K that slew Rafa's knees last year..
Moxie, this is what DarthFed is referring to . although he has a lifetime h2h of 6-0 vs silent KK, Rafa was pretty done before his matches vs Thiem and totally had grinded those knees to bone on bone before JMDP

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Now, it is time to win his 4th US Open and 19 Major Title, AP! Vamos!
Agreed. He is gonna.have to reach 2017 form and another cast of rogue opponents such as Anderson and the like would be nice.. However that's not going to happen. Rafa's best chance of winning is to play ultra aggressive against Roger and Novak..They are not going to let him get into a lot of extended rallies and will punish his 2nd service. A well place body service and a few serve wide to set up his combos is crucial. Keeping the ball deep down the middle and slices deep to their FH s to offset the drop shots will help neutralize those two top rogue Rafa villians of all time.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed. He is gonna.have to reach 2017 form and another cast of rogue opponents such as Anderson and the like would be nice.. However that's not going to happen. Rafa's best chance of winning is to play ultra aggressive against Roger and Novak..They are not going to let him get into a lot of extended rallies and will punish his 2nd service. A well place body service and a few serve wide to set up his combos is crucial. Keeping the ball deep down the middle and slices deep to their FH s to offset the drop shots will help neutralize those two top rogue Rafa villians of all time.

Great post, AP! But the number one thing he should do before doing those tactics is to have self belief that he can actually beat Djokovic and Federer on hardcourts/grass. I looked at those two losses against both of them this year and he lost belief especially on his backhand side. If he believed that he can beat them, then he will do well and play A LOT better.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

No you never argued that out or even mentioned that it does not have significance. You merely expressed your annoyance that I reminded it to everyone.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Great post, AP! But the number one thing he should do before doing those tactics is to have self belief that he can actually beat Djokovic and Federer on hardcourts/grass. I looked at those two losses against both of them this year and he lost belief especially on his backhand side. If he believed that he can beat them, then he will do well and play A LOT better.
Great message especially with the loss of confidence on the BH at Wimbledon and AO..If you go back to Rome, it was the CC BH that separated him from Novak.In RG, the CC BH was able to hit through the wind vs Roger. At Wimbledon he made Kyrigios look mortal and he stayed out of those endless extended rallies vs Nick. Leading into the semi's vs Roger , Chris Fowler noted that Rafa's CC BH was at its highest level of execution in years however Rafa decided to return serve from Liverpool instead of the grounds of the all English club. Toni tried to get him to move in closer but it's didn't get communicating to Nadal in time.This is the number one priority for team Nadal including Toni, the ROS position..What the HELL do Rafa has to loose, it's #19 or the tennis season OVER

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Great message especially with the loss of confidence on the BH at Wimbledon and AO..If you go back to Rome, it was the CC BH that separated him from Novak.In RG, the CC BH was able to hit through the wind vs Roger. At Wimbledon he made Kyrigios look mortal and he stayed out of those endless extended rallies vs Nick. Leading into the semi's vs Roger , Chris Fowler noted that Rafa's CC BH was at its highest level of execution in years however Rafa decided to return serve from Liverpool instead of the grounds of the all English club. Toni tried to get him to move in closer but it's didn't get communicating to Nadal in time.This is the number one priority for team Nadal including Toni, the ROS position..What the HELL do Rafa has to loose, it's #19 or the tennis season OVER

No, it is past time for #21 and to make up for Roger's disaster of a resume at New York. Fed's career is more on the line than either of them.

Nadal should beat Fed and Djoker less than 20% of the time off clay. We know that's held true for Djokovic but not Roger until recently when Fed even as a washed up gramps has finally started taking it to Nadal off dirt. If you rush Nadal off clay he is in trouble. And that's why his backhand suddenly went off the rails against Roger. And against Djoker off clay we know who wears the pants. He better hope for upsets.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
dull will vulture WTF too without faker or Fed playing it and then his tards will tell us "SEE I told you he's an awesome indoor player".

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No, it is past time for #21 and to make up for Roger's disaster of a resume at New York. Fed's career is more on the line than either of them.

Nadal should beat Fed and Djoker less than 20% of the time off clay. We know that's held true for Djokovic but not Roger until recently when Fed even as a washed up gramps has finally started taking it to Nadal off dirt. If you rush Nadal off clay he is in trouble. And that's why his backhand suddenly went off the rails against Roger. And against Djoker off clay we know who wears the pants. He better hope for upsets.
Rafa is one of the few players who has a decent h2h vs Novak at the USO.. Roger's back may be a bit too fragile to handle two weeks of hardcourt matches.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa is one of the few players who has a decent h2h vs Novak at the USO.. Roger's back may be a bit too fragile to handle two weeks of hardcourt matches.

That's what you're hoping for and that's fine. I'd say Nad's knees may be too fragile for 2 weeks at USO. I'm always hopeful for that. He can go home and make some babies this offseason, could screw his career hopefully.

Reactions: Fiero425

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions

Haha yes that’s truth, he better hope for upsets.

Reactions: Fiero425

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The endless drudgery of digging around, and repositioning events so as to how they can reduce Nadal's accomplishments. It must be tiring. It's frankly boring me to death. Plus, the hate-watching. A lovely August Sunday afternoon, and plenty of Fed fans had nothing to do but hope to see Rafa lose in a tournament that Roger isn't even playing. :facepalm:

And on a lovely July afternoon a little over a month ago you had nothing to do but hope to see Federer lose to Djokovic so that his Slam record remained closer to Nadal's.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And on a lovely July afternoon a little over a month ago you had nothing to do but hope to see Federer lose to Djokovic so that his Slam record remained closer to Nadal's.

Miss Holier Than Thou still gets outraged from time to time when everyone isn't rooting for her innocent, humble boy. It's alright.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, as rarely gets remembered, Rafa actually won the USOpen Series trifecta in 2013: Canada, Cincy and the USO. Roger hasn't done it, nor has Novak. Last one before Rafa was Roddick in 2003.

Federer has also won 7 Cincinnati's to Nadal's 1. Djokovic has won Miami 7 times and Federer 4 times, Nadal 0 times. Djokovic has won the Paris Masters 4 times, Nadal 0. Djokovic has won Shanghai 4 times, Nadal 0. Federer has won the ATP Finals 6 times, Djokovic 5 times, Nadal 0 times.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, you are funny. In the sense that you aren't. There was no irony in your post about the "defending of his title" question. I did notice that you chilled on that when I mentioned that Roger never won it in Montreal. And now, after 1 million posts about Nadal not defending a title off clay, you say that it's not a big issue. Then why did you bring it up so often? Ok, now the issue is the WTF. Way to move the goal posts.

It's still pathetic by Big 3 standards. Only 1 title defense off of clay? And it happened in a week where Djokovic and Federer weren't even playing?

Reactions: Fiero425 and Bonaca