Rogers Cup 2019, Montreal, Canada, ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ralph won Toronto last year. He won Montreal this year. Is that defending title? Just asking. :unsure:
Somehow, I knew you'd come up with that one. Well, it is the same tournament. Rafa has won in both Toronto and Montreal. Roger, for example, has never won it in Montreal, IIRC.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Technically, but it's 1 way to "hold this particular" stat over his head for a lit'l while longer just to drive the Nadal fans over the edge! :whistle:
For the deeply puny, perhaps.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OH MY GOD!

@Kieran texted me right after the match ended to say someone would say this. I’ll send him the link. Incredible.
The endless drudgery of digging around, and repositioning events so as to how they can reduce Nadal's accomplishments. It must be tiring. It's frankly boring me to death. Plus, the hate-watching. A lovely August Sunday afternoon, and plenty of Fed fans had nothing to do but hope to see Rafa lose in a tournament that Roger isn't even playing. :facepalm:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And they will keep winning again and again....

17c1e74c236db8846481385941951650bc1fbd06074c265bef06eb08d7145b38.jpg

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, as rarely gets remembered, Rafa actually won the USOpen Series trifecta in 2013: Canada, Cincy and the USO. Roger hasn't done it, nor has Novak. Last one before Rafa was Roddick in 2003.

Reactions: Andy22

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Also, as rarely gets remembered, Rafa actually won the USOpen Series trifecta in 2013: Canada, Cincy and the USO. Roger hasn't done it, nor has Novak. Last one before Rafa was Roddick in 2003.

You can add my Aussie Pat Rafter who also won the Trifecta USO Series,actually Rafa,Roddick and Rafter are the only 3 players in the Open Era to achieve this,so far.

Don't ask my what year,as I am 'brain dead' and need to go to bed,though you can look it up:)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You can add my Aussie Pat Rafter who also won the Trifecta USO Series,actually Rafa,Roddick and Rafter are the only 3 players in the Open Era to achieve this,so far.

Don't ask my what year,as I am 'brain dead' and need to go to bed,though you can look it up:)
Excellent one, Margaret! I was too lazy to go back, but I will look up the year for you. Thanks for that trivia, because I did want to find it. So, Rafa 2013, Roddick 2003 and Rafter 1998 (I just looked it up.) If anyone has another one, offer it up, but I'm going with Margaret, otherwise. Have a good night, Miss Margaret.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Before I hit the pillow....Rafa has confirmed he will skip Cincy to prepare for the USO....BTW it is only 10.44am here:)

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OH MY GOD!

@Kieran texted me right after the match ended to say someone would say this. I’ll send him the link. Incredible.

Come on, that was said in jest (and to see how Nadalites react to it). I personally consider it as defending and has already said so as soon as the match was over. Take it easy.

First of all this defending business is not really a big issue. The main question is how many titles people have. But, the WTF is a real issue.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Before I hit the pillow....Rafa has confirmed he will skip Cincy to prepare for the USO....BTW it is only 10.44am here:)

There is also the possibility of Fog and Clown skipping it. Also, the qualifiers got placed in the draw only recently. At this rate, mrzz might actually win the draw challenge this time.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Come on, that was said in jest (and to see how Nadalites react to it). I personally consider it as defending and has already said so as soon as the match was over. Take it easy.

First of all this defending business is not really a big issue. The main question is how many titles people have. But, the WTF is a real issue.
Wow, you are funny. In the sense that you aren't. There was no irony in your post about the "defending of his title" question. I did notice that you chilled on that when I mentioned that Roger never won it in Montreal. And now, after 1 million posts about Nadal not defending a title off clay, you say that it's not a big issue. Then why did you bring it up so often? Ok, now the issue is the WTF. Way to move the goal posts.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is also the possibility of Fog and Clown skipping it. Also, the qualifiers got placed in the draw only recently. At this rate, mrzz might actually win the draw challenge this time.
Which one is the Clown this week? Is it too hard to just use their names?

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
What a disgusting result. Tennis is in shambles with these two pushers winning everywhere specially dull on non-clay surfaces.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions

dulltards never take it easy. LOL
They have the same mentality that Nadull has on court. Out with their pitchforks for the slightest pointer against Nadull. Sad bunch.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
God damn, one of my favorite Nadal hating stats is gone. Hopefully he plays Cincy this year, he would still get an ATP 250 draw to the finals but he wouldn't be winning that.
Sure he wouldn’t , when Roger and /or Novak is around. But sadly we have to wait until NY to see one of them taking out Bull. He will not play in Cincy.

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow, you are funny. In the sense that you aren't. There was no irony in your post about the "defending of his title" question. I did notice that you chilled on that when I mentioned that Roger never won it in Montreal. And now, after 1 million posts about Nadal not defending a title off clay, you say that it's not a big issue. Then why did you bring it up so often? Ok, now the issue is the WTF. Way to move the goal posts.

I am fully aware that Roger has not won Montreal. It is not news to me. I don't know what makes you think that you shut me up by mentioning it.

This defending title business is an esoteric stat and does not have real significance. At the end of the day, in tennis it is about winning titles, lots of them and big ones at that. I admit to bringing it up as it is an interesting curiosity and not because it has real significance.

It is not that the goal post is moved and suddenly WTF is an issue. It was always an issue and a real one at that, unlike "defending titles".

Reactions: Fiero425