Rogers Cup 2019, Montreal, Canada, ATP Masters 1000

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Not denying F3's injuries, and the current one he's dealing with. Even Rafa talked to him about foot surgery, saying that he'd had the same, and the recovery was quick. And both Evans and Fognini troubled Rafa. But you act like it's outrageous to say that Nadal is on another level, and so the outcome isn't so surprising, no matter the circumstances. Fognini is 4-12 career H2H v Nadal. Career high #9, 9 career titles. Evans is career high #41, currently #53. No titles. I won't bother you with Rafa's CV. However, if I had dared suggest that anyone who has ever troubled Roger, even the slightest bit and even at this stage in his dotage, your hair would go on fire, I'm pretty sure. Fognini and Evans are nowhere near the same level as Nadal, when we talk about resumes. Evans is a not untalented journeyman, but he was never going to win that match. Fognini is talented but sporadic and unpredictable. Would he have won had he been in full health? Maybe, but history is not in his favor.

Huh? I mention plenty of players myself all the time who can and do trouble Roger. This is just nuts. No one was talking about career achievements but clearly there's no way anyone could say Evans was never going to win that match. He narrowly missed winning the first set by a mere 2 points and was the first to have 2 sets points and lost the second set by a measly 1 break. Btw Evans has a much lower ranking than his ability because of his ban for cocaine which isn't performance enhancing anyway so it was a stupid ban. Regarding Fognini, he's old and whole lot more banged up than Nadal at this stage but still managed to win the first set convincingly which shows that healthy he could definitely have won that match.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Huh? I mention plenty of players myself all the time who can and do trouble Roger. This is just nuts. No one was talking about career achievements but clearly there's no way anyone could say Evans was never going to win that match. He narrowly missed winning the first set by a mere 2 points and was the first to have 2 sets points and lost the second set by a measly 1 break. Btw Evans has a much lower ranking than his ability because of his ban for cocaine which isn't performance enhancing anyway so it was a stupid ban. Regarding Fognini, he's old and whole lot more banged up than Nadal at this stage but still managed to win the first set convincingly which shows that healthy he could definitely have won that match.
Sorry, I didn't complete the thought in the portion that you bolded. I meant that if I dared to say that some of these folks who might trouble him were on his level. I know FF could have won that match. It doesn't really make him on Nadal's level, because we also know that Fabio doesn't tend to keep up his highest tennis, or his focus or his motivation, or he'd have had better results.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry, I didn't complete the thought in the portion that you bolded. I meant that if I dared to say that some of these folks who might trouble him were on his level. I know FF could have won that match. It doesn't really make him on Nadal's level, because we also know that Fabio doesn't tend to keep up his highest tennis, or his focus or his motivation, or he'd have had better results.

That's all fair enough and agreed. Fognini's definitely an underachiever but he at least needs to be fully healthy to compete and he wasn't. Re Roger, he's 38 and very up and down. I'd say plenty of guys are on his level but they're just inconsistent too so they can't take advantage often enough. That said, plenty have the last few years and are definitely on his level 'cos his level drops a lot. When it's high, he's still great, but it can go pear shaped very quickly at any given time.

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
~1 hr to go.... surprising that these two haven't played each other before...

Khachanov - Nadal would have been fun after last year's USO match

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
~1 hr to go.... surprising that these two haven't played each other before...

Khachanov - Nadal would have been fun after last year's USO match
I think this will be fun too. Medvedev is the most improved this year IMO.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think this will be fun too. Medvedev is the most improved this year IMO.

Not really any decent results aside from this. He doesn't have enough to trouble the evil one. Karen finds it easy to bully Rafa around but Nadal survives to get enough errors. Still would be preferable to make those knees hurt.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev is struggling to finish the point on a few occasions, missed some easy balls. He is too much on defensive side still here. It looks like he realised this by the end of 1st set so I hope he comes attacking more in the 2nd.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Medvedev is struggling to finish the point on a few occasions, missed some easy balls. He is too much on defensive side still here. It looks like he realised this by the end of 1st set so I hope he comes attacking more in the 2nd.

He’s got a lot going on, too: first Masters 1000 final, first time playing Nadal, and must do so in a final. I can’t remember one of the Big 3 facing someone for the first time in a final.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not really any decent results aside from this. He doesn't have enough to trouble the evil one. Karen finds it easy to bully Rafa around but Nadal survives to get enough errors. Still would be preferable to make those knees hurt.
KK is 0-6 v. Rafa...I'm not sure why you were wishing for that one.

However, Medvedev is running out of gas and belief.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He’s got a lot going on, too: first Masters 1000 final, first time playing Nadal, and must do so in a final. I can’t remember one of the Big 3 facing someone for the first time in a final.
Interesting trivia question.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev is clueless. Yeah, not easy to perform great in this occasion, but still I was expecting more from him today.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Easy, he bullies Nadal around with great ease. Medvedev is just vanilla. I don't think he will become great even in the current era.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Look at the scores of their last 2, in fact their last 3. Hardly a walk in the park. Medvedev can play a lot better than this but he's had a great week besdies today. Should be ahead of Tsitsipas pretty soon.

Reactions: AnonymousFan