Rogers Cup 2018, Toronto, Canada, ATP Masters

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He's won 4 MS 1000s, I think. Those are big titles. And if he should win either the next USO or AO, he'd be ahead of Roger's pace at that age, with more MS and 1 Major at the same age. He's only 21 +4 months.
Make it 3 masters: Rome and Montreal last year and Madrid this year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Make it 3 masters: Rome and Montreal last year and Madrid this year.
Sorry, that was off the top of my head. But still, Roger had 1 when he won Wimbledon at 21 +11 months. As I said, Sasha is not yet behind his pace, so it's early for people to lump him in with "under-achievers."

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sorry, that was off the top of my head. But still, Roger had 1 when he won Wimbledon at 21 +11 months. As I said, Sasha is not yet behind his pace, so it's early for people to lump him in with "under-achievers."
For sure. He probably has more masters titles than the whole lost generation combined.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For sure. He probably has more masters titles than the whole lost generation combined.
That's a great trivia question, actually. Somebody was trying to let Dimitrov off the hook around here recently for having won 1 MS and the WTF last year. At 20-effing-7. He, who was the promise of his generation. He was a whopping total 8 titles.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Which is where I use-get the term "naïve" as I see it equivalent to being "soft!" Ages ago Roger was this elegant artist/gentleman on the court while Nadal plowed the fields like an artisan winning tournaments thru attrition many times! Players like that succeed sooner and no one in the history of the game will match those FO's unfortunately! I don't give him as much credit as I bemoan the effort the players of this past era put out; really gutless! If not for Nole outdoing Rafa at being "Rafa" by actually outlasting him at events like '12 AO, '11 USO, and several Masters on Rafa's beloved clay, Federer would already be "looking up!" Roger should give some kind of residual to Soderling and Djokovic who helped in more ways than can be counted and has kept Nadal at bay in the majors' race!! :whistle: :yesyes: :p :oops: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal hit one of those crazy spinning ones that looks like it's going to go out, but curled in. But Stan held, anyway.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Sascha has been trash at majors and Roger did underachieve badly at first as is well known.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Which is where I use/get the term "naïve" as I see it equivalent to being "soft!" Ages ago Roger was this elegant artist/gentleman on the court while Nadal plowed the fields like an artisan winning tournaments thru attrition many times! Players like that succeed sooner and no one in the history of the game will match those FO's unfortunately! I don't give him as much credit as I bemoan the effort the players of this past era put out; really gutless! If not for Nole outdoing Rafa at being "Rafa" by actually outlasting him at events like '12 AO, '11 USO, and several Masters on Rafa's beloved clay, Federer would already be "looking up!" Roger should give some kind of residual to Soderling and Djokovic who helped in more ways than can be counted and has kept Nadal at bay in the majors' race!! :whistle: :yesyes: :p :oops: :rolleyes:
What a load of bullshit. This is a narrative that you and others like, but it has almost no basis in reality. Firstly, this notion that Roger is the artist/gentleman surely suits his persona, but it does ignore that he's an athlete. Secondly, the notion that Rafa just "plows the fields" like some redneck is classist and horrible. There is elegance in his game, and an enormous amount of talent. You just don't like it. It doesn't fit your pearls-at-the-neck and champagne-at-the-intervals version of tennis that you like. Too bad. But it is not at all true that players that you see as "sloggers" achieve sooner. Ferrer, as an example, made it work over time. Same with Davydenko. The points and the rankings built slowly, slog by slog. Rafa's career had the quick rise and staying power that his talent merited. If no one in the history of the game will match his RG titles, it's because he earned them. You can hate that, but it's on you. Rafa got what he did by earning it. And if he got stopped sometimes, it happens. Same with Roger and Novak. But they are all deserving of what they've fought for. I don't care about your snobbishness or prejudices.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
What a load of bullshit. This is a narrative that you and others like, but it has almost no basis in reality. Firstly, this notion that Roger is the artist/gentleman surely suits his persona, but it does ignore that he's an athlete. Secondly, the notion that Rafa just "plows the fields" like some redneck is classist and horrible. There is elegance in his game, and an enormous amount of talent. You just don't like it. It doesn't fit your pearls-at-the-neck and champagne-at-the-intervals version of tennis that you like. Too bad. But it is not at all true that players that you see as "sloggers" achieve sooner. Ferrer, as an example, made it work over time. Same with Davydenko. The points and the rankings built slowly, slog by slog. Rafa's career had the quick rise and staying power that his talent merited. If no one in the history of the game will match his RG titles, it's because he earned them. You can hate that, but it's on you. Rafa got what he did by earning it. And if he got stopped sometimes, it happens. Same with Roger and Novak. But they are all deserving of what they've fought for. I don't care about your snobbishness or prejudices.

I love yanking chains! You had me rollin'! Thanks!:lol3: :lol6: :laugh::rolleyes: :sick:

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sascha has been trash at majors and Roger did underachieve badly at first as is well known.
As usual, you only see extremes. Lindsay Davenport made the point earlier that it's a big thing in the men's game for young players to go, for the first times, into best of 5 matches. There have been teenagers that developed early and navigated it better, but it's rarer. As to Roger, you'll talk about him under-achieving all the time. You opinion is so biased as to be negated. I think Fiero has it more right to say that it took time for Roger's game to "gel." If he was slower to develop and get results, he surely made up for it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa better put away this version of Stan now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, Nadal blew that game.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal mistiming the bh.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
What the heck is going on, There is a delay due to some reason even though both players are ready.