Rogers Cup 2018, Toronto, Canada, ATP Masters

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Thank GAWD for Federer and Nole to save the history of tennis so far by being foils enough to keep DULL in 2nd running for the GOAT! He was being supplanted by Nole for a while even though behind due to some fabulous years, but somehow Fedal's reestablished themselves at the top! I just can't believe w/ all the talent out there, a dark horse hasn't been able to do more than Cilic @ '14 USO! :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek:

Such a shame for tennis what happened to Soderling. Career ended in his absolute prime when he had knocked Murray to number 5. I reckon he had plenty more years of monstrous tennis and upsets left in him. A true loss.

Reactions: mrzz and DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
20 slams is more than enough given that it's 6 clear of Pete's record. The fact that some hack like dull with his disgusting moonballing has vultured 17 says more about the field than Fed's achievements. Sure Fed could've won more but no way can you tell me that dull should be winning 17 of these. It's ridiculous how much this topspin bot has vultured. It is actually insane how much he's overachieved. No other sportsman with as limited as talent that dull has won so much. Go ahead name me one.

Fed can't keep winning slams till the end of time in the hope that someday someone stops Nadal from winning RGs. Fed will stop winning slams at some point and if Nadal is still winning RGs without dropping a set then it's not Fed's fault. Nothing Fed can do about Nadal's infinite RGs.

Different era with Pete and he had no rivals in striking distance. He thought that record would last a long time, not 7 years after he retired. Now athletes are playing longer and the courts are playing much more similar making it easier to win more slams. Roger should've won a lot more at USO and Wimbledon. If C-dal equals or passes him it will be his failure at those tournaments that caused it.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Different era with Pete and he had no rivals in striking distance. He thought that record would last a long time, not 7 years after he retired. Now athletes are playing longer and the courts are playing much more similar making it easier to win more slams. Roger should've won a lot more at USO and Wimbledon. If C-dal equals or passes him it will be his failure at those tournaments that caused it.

Federer probably should have won more; esp. at the USO, but he also stole a few! Roddick giving away that '09 Wimbledon shouldn't be forgotten! Roger admitted himself that if that 2nd set TB had gone to Andy, the final was his; serving so well he wasn't broken until the final game of the 5th set @ 14-15! Not sure how A-Rod could sleep after that one! I can still see that high BH-volley sitter blown along with multiple other set points going by the wayside! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :rolleyes:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
All I could (and can) watch of tennis today was the penultimate game and the third set tie-break between Dimitrov and Tiafoe. Tennis is a cruel sport. Dimitrov (for who I generally root for) was in his passive/vanilla mode (at least in this breaker), deserving badly to be kicked out. He could not put a return on court, and was far from a beast serving. Then at 2-4 Tiafoe misses an easy-forehand. Five straight points for Dimitrov (who played ok on those points, yes, one nice volley in between) and a long walk back home for Tiafoe, who until that crucial mistake was by far the better and braver player (on this last segment which I got to see).

Reactions: Fiero425

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Federer probably should have won more; esp. at the USO, but he also stole a few! Roddick giving away that '09 Wimbledon shouldn't be forgotten! Roger admitted himself that if that 2nd set TB had gone to Andy, the final was his; serving so well he wasn't broken until the final game of the 5th set @ 14-15! Not sure how A-Rod could sleep after that one! I can still see that high BH-volley sitter blown along with multiple other set points going by the wayside! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :rolleyes:

I rooted for Federer back then but I now I see that not only Roddick deserved to get that one, maybe Federer himself would have played better from 2009 onwards had he lost that match.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I rooted for Federer back then but I now I see that not only Roddick deserved to get that one, maybe Federer himself would have played better from 2009 onwards had he lost that match.

Quite possible. I thought he would have definitely finished the deal at the USO that year if he was on 14 instead of 15. With all the great things that happened that year (Marriage, twins, RG and the record at Wimbledon) I think he was a little too happy. Can't blame him but it'd have been a different mindset if he had lost that Wimbledon final.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Greek hero is taking the fight to Djoker so far. This guy has made serious strides.

Reactions: kskate2

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Such a shame for tennis what happened to Soderling. Career ended in his absolute prime when he had knocked Murray to number 5. I reckon he had plenty more years of monstrous tennis and upsets left in him. A true loss.

Another sad story is JMDP (although he is still active). If not for his wrist injuries, I think he would have given lot more trouble to Fedalovic.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Another sad story is JMDP (although he is still active). If not for his wrist injuries, I think he would have given lot more trouble to Fedalovic.

Yeah it's terrible what happened to DP. I think he'd have had a better career than Murray if healthy. And on top of it the old DP who didn't have a flimsy WTA backhand was basically built to destroy Nadal off clay.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Yeah it's terrible what happened to DP. I think he'd have had a better career than Murray if healthy. And on top of it the old DP who didn't have a flimsy WTA backhand was basically built to destroy Nadal off clay.

Yeah he matched up well against Nadal on HC pre-wrist surgery

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Going to be tough for Theseus to hold off this Minotaur now. Almost had the chance to serve it out.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I would rather faker win this cause he'll atleast take out dull in the final.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Hell of a player this guy. At the moment he impresses me a lot more than Zverev. Hoping he's the real deal at slams too unlike Zverev.

Reactions: DarthFed

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Faker out. Congrats dull for Rogers Cup 2018.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Mature win for the young Greek hero. He will get Sascha again. Zverev is the more seasoned at this point but this guy seems to have a lot more mental stability.

Wide open tournament for C-dal but what are you going to do. This is the state of the tour and Roger has taken good advantage of it too. Just wish it was more