Rogers Cup 2018, Toronto, Canada, ATP Masters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
More glimpses of Stanimal in this match than all of his others combined this year. Didn't win this match, but nice to see him be competitive the whole match
I agree. He stepped up to the moment and played the best tennis since his knees went wonky. Good on him. Rafa just the better, as he really has been, in the h2h.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not used to Stan choking the shit out of these 2 sets. It's just too sad this moonballer keeps lucking out when he has no business winning such matches against even a 50% Stan. Disgraceful stuff. Tennis died today.

Reactions: Fiero425

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Stan more competitive than I thought but knew he wouldn't make Canada great again. Still think he should call it a year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not used to Stan choking the shit out of these 2 sets. It's just too sad this moonballer keeps lucking out when he has no business winning such matches against even a 50% Stan. Disgraceful stuff. Tennis died today.
You're not used to Stan choking? You haven't been following his career. You also haven't watched their matches. Stan is 3-17 v. Nadal. In fairness, Stan didn't choke today. He stepped up from his post-injury duldrums to play the best since his injury break. Great champions raise their level. He did. But then Rafa, the greater champion, went him one better and won it.

Reactions: Denis

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stan more competitive than I thought but knew he wouldn't make Canada great again. Still think he should call it a year.
Why do you say that? He just proved he's ready to step up about 3 levels. If he knee is good, why should he close down his year? I thought this was the proof that he's ready to compete in a real way.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I wouldn't call it a year if I was Stan. We're going into his best surface and a slam he's won. Let's see if he can raise his level for BO5. They haven't given him one yet, but I suspect the USOC will grant him a WC.

Reactions: Moxie

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Why do you say that? He just proved he's ready to step up about 3 levels. If he knee is good, why should he close down his year? I thought this was the proof that he's ready to compete in a real way.

One semi-competitive match vs Nadal on HC? Have you seen the rest of his year including first two matches at this tournament?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One semi-competitive match vs Nadal on HC? Have you seen the rest of his year including first two matches at this tournament?
Yes, but when do you start to come back? You saw most of Djokovic's year, and he just won Wimbledon. They're not likely to give up on themselves, if they're not injured (anymore.) And as K says, he won the USO 2 years ago. If the knee feels good, and esp. after today, why wouldn't he keep going for it? He's not getting any younger.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, but when do you start to come back? You saw most of Djokovic's year, and he just won Wimbledon. They're not likely to give up on themselves, if they're not injured (anymore.) And as K says, he won the USO 2 years ago. If the knee feels good, and esp. after today, why wouldn't he keep going for it? He's not getting any younger.

There's nothing to suggest the knee is feeling okay or that he is in decent enough shape to seriously compete in best of 5. There have been a bunch of players who have come back from injury too soon which ends up hurting them. He'd do better to take the next couple months off and then train for 2019

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I give up on this tourney. I promise not to watch any more. :bye:
And why is that? You only like tennis when it features people you can back? You're afraid Rafa will win and you might have to endure that? You post here daily. Why would you give up on a MS 1000? That's not really like you.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
And why is that? You only like tennis when it features people you can back? You're afraid Rafa will win and you might have to endure that? You post here daily. Why would you give up on a MS 1000? That's not really like you.

You answered your own question.

Not sure whether I will keep my promise though.

If the greek plays in final, I might decide to catch some.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You answered your own question.

Not sure whether I will keep my promise though.

If the greek plays in final, I might decide to catch some.
Having trouble picturing you going dark for a full MS 1000. We'll see, I guess. :yoda:

Last edited:

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
Earlier in this thread there was an argument between Monfed, who said that Nadal had no talent and Moxie who said that he did. I don't want to get into that argument. However, I have never understood why people value talent. If, with less talent, you can accomplish something that a more talented person can't than that's great. That shows grit, a great mentality and hard work. These should be valued more than talent.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Although grit, hard work, etc are admirable qualities, they don’t amaze. Talent does. How many of us would want to watch an adult solve the rubic’s cube even if he had to work months to figure it out? Compare that to the wonder of watching a 5 year old solve the cube. Incidentally, I’m not implying that Nadal is talentless. I’m just explaining why tennis fans are drawn to talented players.

Reactions: atttomole and mrzz

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Maybe doesn't consider him a "youngster?" Anyway, I do see that Zverev is not so popular around here. How do you like him, Wimbledoner?

His slam disappointments aside, he has done pretty well in the BO3 format and is certainly among the top guys to beat in BO3 since miami and the best in his age group, though he needs to improve his slam prowess

Zverev has a good ground game, good solid serve so it's puzzling why he hasn't won anything big yet.

Well he has won three different masters 1000 but he definitely needs to improve on his slam exploits

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You're not used to Stan choking? You haven't been following his career. You also haven't watched their matches. Stan is 3-17 v. Nadal. In fairness, Stan didn't choke today. He stepped up from his post-injury duldrums to play the best since his injury break. Great champions raise their level. He did. But then Rafa, the greater champion, went him one better and won it.

A few months ago during Roland Garros I read an article where they put together the 'perfect player' to beat Nadal on clay. They listed different shots from different players. Astonishingly they listed Wawrinka's backhand as one of the shots. Ridiculous. It takes so much time and space to line up that shot, Nadal has in the meantime adjusted the location of his water bottle. It's a nightmare match up for Stan against Nadal and yes Nadal is obviously the better player by far of the two.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tsi-LOL, Murat! I'm kinda with Darth, though, that Novak took a big step forward last month, then a little step back here. Given how long his mental/physical "walkabout" was, and how long the comeback has taken, it's just not going to flip back after one tournament win, albeit a big one. That's why I figured Tsitsipas had a chance today: hot hand, big shots, and they'd never played before. Still, I don't think this means anything for Djokovic's USO.

It's a sign on the wall though. Novak needs to rack in a few more slams before it's over. I don't consider Zverev a threat, but the Greek certainly will become problematic very soon. Saw him at RG (where he lost to Thiem). Shapo I am still on the fence about, but can be dangerous as well.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
great tourney for Stefanos, really happy for him even if I like Nole