Rogers Cup 2018, Toronto, Canada, ATP Masters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Only caught the end, but huge win for the handsome Greek. I picked him to win this one in my draw, btw. ;)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Only caught the end, but huge win for the handsome Greek. I picked him to win this one in my draw, btw. ;)

Our boy is impressive. Given Djoker's scorelines the first two rounds this wasn't too surprising. I know the guy won Wimbledon but he is still 80% Nole at this point. I don't think he will ever be what he was in 2015 and 2011 again but that is expected. People who suddenly think he's going to win 5 of 6 majors again are going to be disappointed.

The key for him is to play well when it matters and that is majors, and a 90% Nole would quite easily rule this tour again at least in this window before the new guys are good. The problem for him is that these new guys are making some real strides, even if he gets back to a level that owns Rafa and gets past Roger he will have to deal with the much younger new guard.

Reactions: kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tvery timpressed twith tthe TGreek, but Nole was pushing the ball today, all day. No bite in any of his shots. It will not do.
Tsi-LOL, Murat! I'm kinda with Darth, though, that Novak took a big step forward last month, then a little step back here. Given how long his mental/physical "walkabout" was, and how long the comeback has taken, it's just not going to flip back after one tournament win, albeit a big one. That's why I figured Tsitsipas had a chance today: hot hand, big shots, and they'd never played before. Still, I don't think this means anything for Djokovic's USO.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One correction: I see that I must have lost my nerve and changed my pick to Djokovic. Bummer. Should have gone with my gut! :lol6:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Zverev has a good ground game, good solid serve so it's puzzling why he hasn't won anything big yet.

All of the Next Gen have been like that; quite talented on the court with all the tools except one; guts to finish off their seniors! Even back in the day, the tour didn't allow McEnroe, Connors, Edberg, Becker, and Lendl to own/win everything the way the "Big 4" have in the last decade! The most talented out there has been players like Baby Fed, Grigor, but with all his styling, he has to come back from the dead to beat a kid just coming up! I love the games of Kei, Milos, Sasha, & Thiem, but they're holding themselves back "breaking down physically" or losing matches that should have been won but for a mental deficiency! :whistle: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev has a good ground game, good solid serve so it's puzzling why he hasn't won anything big yet.
He's won 4 MS 1000s, I think. Those are big titles. And if he should win either the next USO or AO, he'd be ahead of Roger's pace at that age, with more MS and 1 Major at the same age. He's only 21 +4 months.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
He's won 4 MS 1000s, I think. Those are big titles. And if he should win either the next USO or AO, he'd be ahead of Roger's pace at that age, with more MS and 1 Major at the same age. He's 21 only +4 months.

Roger was even more naïve and vulnerable back then! Sasha has real weapons to actual be ahead of schedule, but not sure where that 1st major win will be coming? It took a while to get Roger's game to gel and of course for his seniors like Sampras, Agassi, Rafter, & the rest to age out! I think of Martina coming into her own with few if any to challenge her for a while establishing greatness! Roger hasn't disappointed much, but even with his lead, there are some wins left and/or given away; 2 USO's alone dropping consecutive SF's to NOLE in '10 & '11 with match points! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Not really sure what it even means to say that Roger was "naive and vulnerable," but I get that it took a while for his game to gel. Point being, Sasha is not really 'behind schedule,' and it's fair to mention that he has some big guns in his way, too, as you mention that Fed did. I just hope you won't lump him with slackers like Dimitrov and Nishikori, et al, in terms of under-performance and injury. Time is still on Zverev's side.

Reactions: Riotbeard

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Shapo's teenager brain has kicked in. And maybe with the hometown pressure.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Shapo in all kinds of trouble w/ a ton of points to defend.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Shapo in all kinds of trouble w/ a ton of points to defend.
He lost, but, funnily enough, Haase has a lot of points to defend here, too. Not that anyone cares.

Reactions: Denis