Novak Djokovic - the player of the decade

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
If I had to chose 1, I'd go with Lendl. He was the most impressive to me overall even though we had many superheroes back then like McEnroe, a couple of Swedes, Becker. Of course, Lendl wasn't as dominant in the 80s, like Sampras, Fed or Nole in later decades or Nadal on clay.

He was still the best beatimg his rivals; McEnroe, Connors, Edberg, Becker, & Wilander taking 8 majors! :clap: :yesyes: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
He was still the best beatimg his rivals; McEnroe, Connors, Edberg, Becker, & Wilander taking 8 majors! :clap: :yesyes: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

I think only against Edberg, Lendl had losing h2h but it was only 13-14, so even that was even.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
10s Djokovic
00s Federer
90s Sampras
80s Lendl
70s Borg
60s Laver (despite Emerson's 12 slams)
50s Trabert
40s Parker (Polish dude from Milwaukee)
30s Perry
20s Tilden

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Nadal jealousy in this thread is endless.

Let's see

17 slams (only 3 behind the all-time leader despite being 5 years younger)
Career Golden Slam
La Undecima (the greatest achievement in any sport)
4 Davis Cups
33 Masters 1000 (a record)
9-5 & 9-3 head to head vs Djokovic/Federer in slams
10 consecutive years with a slam title
At least 2 slams on each surface
Won a slam on clay/grass/hardcourt in the same year
Most dominant man on a surface
Sweep of the 2013 summer hardcourt season
Most outdoor titles in Open era
No losing record to anyone in a slam final

etc. etc. etc.

Also my favorite record:

The only one out of the Big Four who has never broken a racket, a true class act :good:

But keep on hating. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
10s Djokovic
00s Federer
90s Sampras
80s Lendl
70s Borg
60s Laver (despite Emerson's 12 slams)
50s Trabert
40s Parker (Polish dude from Milwaukee)
30s Perry
20s Tilden

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The Nadal jealousy in this thread is endless.

Let's see

17 slams (only 3 behind the all-time leader despite being 5 years younger)
Career Golden Slam
La Undecima (the greatest achievement in any sport)
4 Davis Cups
33 Masters 1000 (a record)
9-5 & 9-3 head to head vs Djokovic/Federer in slams
10 consecutive years with a slam title
At least 2 slams on each surface
Won a slam on clay/grass/hardcourt in the same year
Most dominant man on a surface
Sweep of the 2013 summer hardcourt season
Most outdoor titles in Open era
No losing record to anyone in a slam final

etc. etc. etc.

Also my favorite record:

The only one out of the Big Four who has never broken a racket, a true class act :good:

But keep on hating. :rolleyes:

The shortcomings are plentiful as you well know! A true inability to defend a title off the dirt as noted that he doesn't own an era due to body breaking down! The advantage he had over his closest rivals has closed & even old man Fed has a winning streak against him now! The YE #1 ranking & YEC Chp record is abysmal for someone so close to immortality! I could go on, but what good would it do? :rolleyes: :facepalm: :whistle:

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The shortcomings are plentiful as you well know! A true inability to defend a title off the dirt as noted that he doesn't own an era due to body breaking down! The advantage he had over his closest rivals has closed & even old man Fed has a winning streak against him now! The YE #1 ranking & YEC Chp record is abysmal for someone so close to immortality! I could go on, but what good would it do? :rolleyes: :facepalm: :whistle:

He already has 4 YE#1 and possibly 5 tying Federer this year. So abysmal. :rolleyes:

From 2008 RG to 2014 RG which is a 6 year stretch, Nadal won 11 slams. In that same period Federer won 5 and Djokovic won 5. So there's your Nadal era mr. genius. :rolleyes:

Please stop embarrassing yourself and tennis fans all over the world. :facepalm:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is just childish factionalism. Nadal is a great champion. Can that be denied, except by partisans? Doesn't get his own decade? His records do reach across 14 years. It's rather a silly splitting of hairs to pretend that he's been chopped liver, as we say in NY.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The advantage he had over his closest rivals has closed & even old man Fed has a winning streak against him now!

It’s curious that Federer fans only want to count years 16/17 in a rivalry that goes back to 2004, for a total span of 15 years.

So only 2 out of 15 years matter now? Holy Selective reasoning, Batman...

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
It’s curious that Federer fans only want to count years 16/17 in a rivalry that goes back to 2004, for a total span of 15 years.

I'm over the Fedal MYTH! I was sucked in making it seem like Rafa was only winning over Roger on clay! I've been immersed in tennis history since '73, but even I was believing it! Finally after 2011 when Roger stopped Nole's unbeaten winning streak, I figured this was his chance and he went down like a poisoned dog yet again to Rafa! Where was that superb serving from the SF? Where was all that attack that overwhelmed Nole who had to be mentally spent playing perfect tennis from AO thru the FO SF! I've been the last person giving Roger a break when it comes to his 2 best rivals who literally own him! For some reason, Rafa's had a little trouble of late, but I wouldn't bet on Roger continuing this roll! :nono: :eek: :oops: :rolleyes:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Fiero isn't a Federer fan, and I don't see any of us discounting any part of the rivalry. I take 2017 as the obvious confirmation that Fed failed miserably in dealing with Nadal off clay for over 10 years. As I've said before, the 2008 Wimbledon and 2009 AO finals in particular get more pathetic every year, and they were weak enough to begin with. Roger also lost to Nadal at Dubai, Cincy and YEC. All debacles on paper...and otherwise.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer beating his main rival Nadal at the 2017 AO (while trailing in the 5th set) was the 1st time he beat him in a slam in 10 years. o_O Let's just say that Federer gained a little dignity after that match. If he had lost again he would have been 2-10 against Nadal in slams and never beaten him since 2007, it would have been so embarrassing. Not that being 3-9 is much better but to beat him again even if after 10 years was very important for Federer's legacy IMO and gave him a little credibility. I just find it funny that some Fed fans actually "brag" about that win. lol

Reactions: Fiero425

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Federer beating his main rival Nadal at the 2017 AO (while trailing in the 5th set) was the 1st time he beat him in a slam in 10 years. o_O Let's just say that Federer gained a little dignity after that match. If he had lost again he would have been 2-10 against Nadal in slams and never beaten him since 2007, it would have been so embarrassing. Not that being 3-9 is much better but to beat him again even if after 10 years was very important for Federer's legacy IMO and gave him a little credibility. I just find it funny that some Fed fans actually "brag" about that win. lol

Fed became undisputed GOAT after beating dull at AO 17. That was the GOAT match, Nadaltard2013.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed became undisputed GOAT after beating dull at AO 17. That was the GOAT match, Nadaltard2013.

For Fed to have become the undisputed GOAT he would have had to beat Nadal at the French Open at least once. He is 0-5 against him there while Nadal beat him at Wimbledon in only his 3rd try in the greatest match in history... THAT match decided who the GOAT is, dear monfraud. :good:

Reactions: Fiero425

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
For Fed to have become the undisputed GOAT he would have had to beat Nadal at the French Open at least once. He is 0-5 against him there while Nadal beat him at Wimbledon in only his 3rd try in the greatest match in history... THAT match decided who the GOAT is, dear monfraud. :good:

Not required since dull is 5 years younger than Fed.

AO 17 has surpassed any prior Fedull match.