Novak Djokovic - the player of the decade

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
30 is the new 20. Things have changed.
That's a bit facile, though. While a lot of players are having great success post-30 (which has been much discussed and analyzed,) you have to look at how much they've played. Players who didn't have early success don't have as many matches under the belt. Roger has played 1,427 matches. Feliciano Lopez is the same age and has played 897. Nadal has played 1107, Novak 1012, Stan 753 and Juan Martín only 594. At some point the mileage has to be taken into consideration, too.

Reactions: DarthFed

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
That's a bit facile, though. While a lot of players are having great success post-30 (which has been much discussed and analyzed,) you have to look at how much they've played. Players who didn't have early success don't have as many matches under the belt. Roger has played 1,427 matches. Feliciano Lopez is the same age and has played 897. Nadal has played 1107, Novak 1012, Stan 753 and Juan Martín only 594. At some point the mileage has to be taken into consideration, too.

Good point. Notice how few of Roger's peers remain, and those that do are mostly lesser players and/or guys that didn't really get going until in their 20s. The guys who played a lot in their teens and early 20s are all gone.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good point. Notice how few of Roger's peers remain, and those that do are mostly lesser players and/or guys that didn't really get going until in their 20s. The guys who played a lot in their teens and early 20s are all gone.
Exactly. Hewitt and Nalbandian were exactly of his vintage, in terms of players who have/should have featured. Safin, though a tad older. All rather long gone.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1,427 servebot matches with 5 seconds between points? Look at the style of play!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1,427 servebot matches with 5 seconds between points? Look at the style of play!
If you're saying that Federer is a servebot then you haven't been watching tennis.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Like I care! I'm a White Sox fan; cap, uniform, and free tickets I got for having perfect attendance in high school for 3 years! :whistle: :rolleyes: :good:

I learned early NEVER confuse a white Sox fan with a Cub fan. As my Chi WS fan buddy told me when I asked him if he was excited about the Cubs finally winning it all “ Uh no...let them go another 100 years of drought...”

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Exactly. Hewitt and Nalbandian were exactly of his vintage, in terms of players who have/should have featured. Safin, though a tad older. All rather long gone.

Isn’t Andy Roddick today all of 36 even now?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I learned early NEVER confuse a white Sox fan with a Cub fan. As my Chi WS fan buddy told me when I asked him if he was excited about the Cubs finally winning it all “ Uh no...let them go another 100 years of drought...”

I LMAO when they blew it in '03; just 5 outs from a WS! It gave my Sox 2 more years to be the latest Chicago Champion; wiping out all comers, winning games in every fashion, dropping only a game in the Playoffs/WS destroying Houston in 4 straight with Clemons pitching IIRC! It snowed here in Chicago during one of the games! :yesyes: :oops: :rolleyes: :whistle:

Reactions: DarthFed

Osakanhime

Reactions
Give me John McEnroe any day. I acknowledge the greats. He would smash his woody and set it a fire mid court.. j/k .. not really, he would do it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk