Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will play his first match on RLA which will be the last day session not before 2.30pm local time on Monday the 16th January against Jack Draper

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa will play his first match on RLA which will be the last day session not before 2.30pm local time on Monday the 16th January against Jack Draper
8EBC4949-2C90-4422-A0A1-144B5F43791A.gif

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will have his last practice session today, Sunday 15th January 1.15pm.
Rafa is practicing with lefty Ben Shelton

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just back from a long hard job. I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do. Rafa plays tonight (night here.) Well, I do think Draper is a tough first round. Young and trending, and Rafa is on a losing streak. I am confident he will rise to the occasion, but I will be wearing the lucky shirt. Freshly-laundered, and ready for a full fortnight.

@MargaretMcAleer: Just wanted to say, enjoy this part of the calendar that actually allows you a good night's sleep. I, for one, appreciate what it takes for you to be a "vampire" the rest of the year. At least for me, it's only this narrow window.

¡Vamos, Rafa! Y ¡Vamos, Rafa Nation! A que se defienda el título.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal got his 1068th win of his career with a four set victory over Jack Draper
Rafa is now tied 3rd with Ivan Lendl most mens singles win in the Open Era.
Connors leading, 1275, Federer 1251, Rafa/Lendl 1068, Djokovic 1036

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa will play Mackenzie McDonald (USA) in his 2nd Rd match, Wednesday 18th January, I will post the time when the playing schedule is released
They played once at the 2020 Autumn French Open. McDonald won 4 games (Score: 6-1, 6-0, 6-3 Nadal.)

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Every time I start to feel slightly bad for Zverev his ***hole personality rears it’s head again.

Predicting that Nadal will likely retire after winning the FO this year, I dunno, seems more like wishful thinking on the crown prince’s part.

Rafa’s priceless response: “I don’t know what's gonna happen. Six months in advance, I can't really tell. Obviously, in general, I have a good relationship with Zverev but not as much as to tell him such confidence, if that was the case.”

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will play his 2nd round match against Mackenzie McDonald on Rod Laver Arena, Wednesday 18th January, last day session match not before 2.00pm local time.....btw the weather does not look promising Rafa may play with the roof closed again

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
Was an interesting match.
Amazon prime / Eurosport / Discovery Plus cut the feed on the on demand watch again feed at 4-4 third set!
Guess they didn't put enough coins in the meter?!

I had to wait until the live feed replays on the afternoon checking status to actually see the ending!
Discovery Plus/Eurosport are useless!

McKenzie played great, take it to you tennis, on a court that suited him.
Long rallies going his way, he physically stressed older Rafa enough...
- ping, Nadal was injured (hip) by end of 2nd set, MTO, and all the atmosphere and spark McKenzie had drained.
One legged Rafa, blasted and drop-shotted very well to get to 5 all.
Served very well and adapted his game style to suit.
So versatile!

But McKenzie bided his time and made Rafa move just enough / he seemed to suddenly get injured even more at the close of the 3rd set, got broken and the game was up.

Straight sets McKenzie

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will have tests to see if the hip injury he suffered in his match against McDonald is in the hip joint or muscle. Rafa had been feeling some discomfort in the hip area a few days before, it flared up in the 2nd set in his match., to the point where he was struggling to move at times.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Message from Rafa Nadal,

" Not the result I wanted, would have loved to continue my run here, but today it wasn't possible.
Mackenzie played at a great level and I wish him the best for the rest of the tournament.
It's always a pleasure to play in Australia.Many thanks to all for the support and the great moments you make me live here.
Sad for leaving soon this great tournament and very thankful once again to all, fans, organizers, amazing crowds.
Thanks Melbourne, Australia.".

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Message from Rafa Nadal,

" Not the result I wanted, would have loved to continue my run here, but today it wasn't possible.
Mackenzie played at a great level and I wish him the best for the rest of the tournament.
It's always a pleasure to play in Australia.Many thanks to all for the support and the great moments you make me live here.
Sad for leaving soon this great tournament and very thankful once again to all, fans, organizers, amazing crowds.
Thanks Melbourne, Australia.".
Doesn't sounds like he is going to return but it really depends on how quickly he can recover from this injury setback.. @MargaretMcAleer ..any updates on our boy's latest injury.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Doesn't sounds like he is going to return but it really depends on how quickly he can recover from this injury setback.. @MargaretMcAleer ..any updates on our boy's latest injury.
He is going to have a scan to see if the injury is in the hip joint or muscle, apparently he had been feeling some discomfort in that area for a few days, though it flared up in the 2nd set, to the point he was struggling to move at times.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some Discouraging News for Rafa,

His team announces that he had a MRI test this morning in Melbourne showed a grade 2 injury of the 'iliopoas' on his left leg. Will rest and treat it with anti-inflammatory and physiotherapy. Normal recovery time is between 6-8 weeks.
This could mean that IW one of Rafa's favorite tournaments maybe in jeopardy....

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Some Discouraging News for Rafa,

His team announces that he had a MRI test this morning in Melbourne showed a grade 2 injury of the 'iliopoas' on his left leg. Will rest and treat it with anti-inflammatory and physiotherapy. Normal recovery time is between 6-8 weeks.
This could mean that IW one of Rafa's favorite tournaments maybe in jeopardy....
Thanks for the update..that could be a blessing in disguise. That would put him in a very good position to be at MC April 10-16..is that correct

Reactions: TheSicilian

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for the update..that could be a blessing in disguise. That would put him in a very good position to be at MC April 10-16..is that correct
MC starts 8-16 April, correct. The only downside I feel, a player is out of competition for that amount of time, 6- 8 weeks, Rafa I feel is a player that needs matches, anyway first thing is first, he has to recover from this latest injury,

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
MC starts 8-16 April, correct. The only downside I feel, a player is out of competition for that amount of time, 6- 8 weeks, Rafa I feel is a player that needs matches, anyway first thing is first, he has to recover from this latest injury,
Rafa played no matches for 6-7 months and won RG 20 without dropping a set? Last year AO 6 months no matches goes on a 20 match winning streak, I think the Nadal needs matches is becoming a myth? I think if possible a 250 or 500 clay event before he gives a master class performance in MC with AP cheering him on :D

Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa played no matches for 6-7 months and won RG 20 without dropping a set? Last year AO 6 months no matches goes on a 20 match winning streak, I think the Nadal needs matches is becoming a myth? I think if possible a 250 or 500 clay event before he gives a master class performance in MC with AP cheering him on :D
I am only going on what happened at this years AO, he played 2 matches and was beaten, no form, though I take your point on clay, for Rafa it is different.