Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, he’s had a tough time since that Wimbledon QF. He’s only played about 12 matches, and lost about 9 of them. But yeah, basically he’s in the happy position of having pulled a shift. He can retire any time and his reputation is secure..
To me his biggest mistake was to play at the USO, where again he damaged his ribs, it cost him, for the rest of the season.
Rafa is still having trouble with his serve and ball toss, which was apparent in his matches at the United Cup in Sydney, I watched him practice at Homebush in Sydney against Zverev, again he was having trouble with his service action, it is abbreviated, hopefully it will sort out before the AO begins 16th January.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
To me his biggest mistake was to play at the USO, where again he damaged his ribs, it cost him, for the rest of the season.
Rafa is still having trouble with his serve and ball toss, which was apparent in his matches at the United Cup in Sydney, I watched him practice at Homebush in Sydney against Zverev, again he was having trouble with his service action, it is abbreviated, hopefully it will sort out before the AO begins 16th January.
He won’t sort it out before then. Rafa needs form going into a slam and he had no matches before New York and he has no form now. He’ll work hard but I’m not expecting much. I don’t blame him for going to New York but I think you’re right. He’d have benefited from complete rest until the autumn swing of things…

Reactions: tented

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
When NFL players are asked about sitting out games, such as after having clinched a division, etc, many object saying that if healthy, they can't live "in fear of injury" and would prefer to play.

Rafa as defending USO champion could not play in 2020 (scheduling was too close to the FO) and he was injured for 2021, so Losing two years to not playing his best HC Major (4 time winner) AND having to withdraw from the Wimbledon SF's had to be brutal for Rafa, so I get it why he wanted to give the 2022 USO a go. He had a legit shot at YE #1 so while he protests he doesn't care for the ranking, again I can see why he tried to rehab to play again in Paris/Torino.

It's so hard for him, the clock is ticking (I just can't see him playing beyond 2024) so if he's somewhat healthy Rafa It seems is willing to give a go. The next major injury may finally derail him but I think he's made his peace with that.
If it's clay, Rafa can roll out of bed and win RG. The hardcourts at AO requires Rafa to be tournament match tough IMO.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He won’t sort it out before then. Rafa needs form going into a slam and he had no matches before New York and he has no form now. He’ll work hard but I’m not expecting much. I don’t blame him for going to New York but I think you’re right. He’d have benefited from complete rest until the autumn swing of things…
To me his ab injury did not heal properly after Wimbledon, it was obvious in his matches at the USO. Knowing Rafa he will give it is all, regardless of no form going into the AO

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't forget that baby Nadal popping out in the fall, instead of deferring to his dad’s career priorities, i wager the baby was all “feed me, burp me, change me, love me,” all me me me ! :-(

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Kieran

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Just to be clear, are you implying this is still associated with his ab injury?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just to be clear, are you implying this is still associated with his ab injury?
To me the serve is still abbreviated, also his ball toss, not Rafa's usual serve, I did mention it when he lost to Cam Norrie in the United Cup, also I noticed it when I saw him practice at Homebush against Zverev
Unless he is tweaking his serve? another thought I have.Reports I have read Rafa is healthy and injury free coming into the AO

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
To me the serve is still abbreviated, also his ball toss, not Rafa's usual serve, I did mention it when he lost to Cam Norrie in the United Cup, also I noticed it when I saw him practice at Homebush against Zverev
Unless he is tweaking his serve? another thought I have.Reports I have read Rafa is healthy and injury free coming into the AO
It doesn't make sense why he isn't 1000 percent healthy.( This isn't directed at you @MargaretMcAleer . There's wasn't a need for him to play until he was completely healthy. Last Summer and Fall was a complete disaster in regards to his level of be competitive as opposed to the historical perfect beginning of 2022. I think he just needs to play but if he can get his "reps" in practice Then So Be It.

Reactions: TheSicilian

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It doesn't make sense why he isn't 1000 percent healthy.( This isn't directed at you @MargaretMcAleer . There's wasn't a need for him to play until he was completely healthy. Last Summer and Fall was a complete disaster in regards to his level of be competitive as opposed to the historical perfect beginning of 2022. I think he just needs to play but if he can get his "reps" in practice Then So Be It.
Agree, though here have been a lot of rumors saying he iosnt 100%, ( maybe because he lost 2 matches) I mean when I watched him live in practice in Sydney against Zverev, he looked healthy to me. even now I have watched video's in him on twitter in practice on RDL he has been fine. It was his serve amd his ball toss that was abbreviated, as I did post in his match against Norrie? which made me question, after I watched him live in practice against Zverev, is he 'tweaking his serve"
BTW Moyer hasnt arrived as yet, expect him next week,Marc and the new coach Gustavo have been with Rafa at practice
As I posted to Tented before, maybe he is 'tweaking his serve' I guess we will know better, when he plays his first match at the AO
BTW many commentators are saying the 'new abbreviated serve is to protect his AB area from getting injured again and they also think it is a weakness now?

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's face it, Nadal's serve has alway been his bete noir , at times its very good but it's been tweaked, reworked as many times as Kevin McCarthy's concessions...

It's insane to think he was partially injured with the ab AND still played those exhibitiions in December. What I think was those AB injuries did wreck havoc on his confidence as far as his serve and service motion, so in that sense I think his problem is more mental.

Rafa has intense training sessions though I think Moya has wisely tempered that. So coming back from yet another injury, as long as his foot is not in constant pain which it doesn't appear to be, IMO it's more the mental hurdle of being "up" for every match after so many years on the tour. Unlike Novak, Rafa has been consistently a top 5 players practically from his first full year 2005 until now, going on 19 years.

My spec is that Rafa/Moya & team has to try to balance his being "fresh" and mentally prepared with just enough practice/matchplay. Last year they played a warmup tournament, this year they opted not to, so I'm thinking keeping him mentally fresh has priority. Trying to tweak the serve yet again. We don't know yet if this strategy will work. Apparently he looked tired at the end of the Cup matches this year, I seriously doubt it's because he's out of shape and lacking conditioning.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's face it, Nadal's serve has alway been his bete noir , at times its very good but it's been tweaked, reworked as many times as Kevin McCarthy's concessions...

It's insane to think he was partially injured with the ab AND still played those exhibitiions in December. What I think was those AB injuries did wreck havoc on his confidence as far as his serve and service motion, so in that sense I think his problem is more mental.

Rafa has intense training sessions though I think Moya has wisely tempered that. So coming back from yet another injury, as long as his foot is not in constant pain which it doesn't appear to be, IMO it's more the mental hurdle of being "up" for every match after so many years on the tour. Unlike Novak, Rafa has been consistently a top 5 players practically from his first full year 2005 until now, going on 19 years.

My spec is that Rafa/Moya & team has to try to balance his being "fresh" and mentally prepared with just enough practice/matchplay. Last year they played a warmup tournament, this year they opted not to, so I'm thinking keeping him mentally fresh has priority. Trying to tweak the serve yet again. We don't know yet if this strategy will work. Apparently he looked tired at the end of the Cup matches this year, I seriously doubt it's because he's out of shape and lacking conditioning.
Did you watch his matches at the United Cup? if you did you would have noticed his ball toss and his serve was abbreviated for starters.He was rusty at the United Cup, he said as much, fhand was off, his shots were too short., apart from looking tired.

Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP if you are around,

This is from Rafa's doctor, Angel Ruiz Cotorro,

"Rafael Nadal's fine, in the progression phase because that's what he needs when he as finished the year without rhythm is doing well and is gradually improving with every match".

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
AP if you are around,

This is from Rafa's doctor, Angel Ruiz Cotorro,

"Rafael Nadal's fine, in the progression phase because that's what he needs when he as finished the year without rhythm is doing well and is gradually improving with every match".
Hopefully! He has ten days, more or less, and with a good draw and a fair wind behind him, who knows what’ll happen? He’s always liked this slam, so I’m cautiously hopeful…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hopefully! He has ten days, more or less, and with a good draw and a fair wind behind him, who knows what’ll happen? He’s always liked this slam, so I’m cautiously hopeful…
You know it hasnt been his best slam, though you know he will always give it his best

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will return to the Dubai Duty Free Championship next month for the first time since 2008, tournament February 27th - March 4

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tuesday practice today 10th January
Rafa will practice at 1.00pm today against Andy Murray
Carlos Moyer has arrived in Melbourne and was at Rafa's practice, along with Marc and the new coach Gustavo

Last edited: