Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For me, Rafa should have saved himself for the USO because it has been his best tournament outside of RG. He knew Novak , Carlos would be totally SPENT afterwards playing the channel slams plus the French Games which Sinner was wise not to participate. The Laver Cup is a glorified exhibition which I have NEVER been interested in watching even though it came to Chicago. As a Nadal fan, 2024 was the worst year!
I take your point as a Nadal fan 2024 being a bad year, coming back from hip surgery and at his age is a long process, most players would have retired now with the amount of times Rafa had, remember he is 38 yo, and injuries at his age take longer to heal. In regards to Laver Cup, from what I what I heard he did it as a favor to Federer, who as you are aware has interests in the Laver Cup. Also Rafa is doing another exhibition in October 16-19th called The Saudi Six Kings' other players involved Novak, Alcaraz, Meddy Sinner and Rune

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
For me, Rafa should have saved himself for the USO because it has been his best tournament outside of RG. He knew Novak , Carlos would be totally SPENT afterwards playing the channel slams plus the French Games which Sinner was wise not to participate. The Laver Cup is a glorified exhibition which I have NEVER been interested in watching even though it came to Chicago. As a Nadal fan, 2024 was the worst year!
Rafa wasn't getting past the 4th round of the US Open even if he had played and the best case scenario happened. Even with Novak and Carlos out, if Rafa had an easy path like Borges did, guys like Sinner, Medvedev, Zverev, and Tiafoe would have been way too good for this version of Rafa. Remember, Tiafoe even beat Rafa here in 2022, the last time Rafa was his real self and won the first 2 slams that year.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa wasn't getting past the 4th round of the US Open even if he had played and the best case scenario happened. Even with Novak and Carlos out, if Rafa had an easy path like Borges did, guys like Sinner, Medvedev, Zverev, and Tiafoe would have been way too good for this version of Rafa. Remember, Tiafoe even beat Rafa here in 2022, the last time Rafa was his real self and won the first 2 slams that year.
If Tiafoe played Rafa Jan-June 2022 Rafa would have destroyed Tiafoe.. no excuses Tiafoe won later in the year although Rafa had NO BUSINESS losing to Frances

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You don't know this. You're the guy that thought the Olympics was a good idea for Rafa. Credit to @the AntiPusher. He was campaigning all along for Rafa to skip the OG and get himself ready for the USO. Which surely looks like it would have been a better idea, even if Rafa had fun at the Olympics. I don't care what you say...with 2 of the 3 big guns out, it surely is more winnable than we expected. Yes, he could have gone out earlier, or lost in late rounds, but 3 months to train and recoup after the FO would have been better. Just giving AP his props for what looks like the greater wisdom.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP, if you are around you will like this current news, as I know you werent keen on Rafa playing in the Laver Cup

Rafa has withdrawn from the Laver Cup!

Here is Rafa's statement,

"I'm really disappointed to share that I wont be able to compete at the Laver Cup next week in Berlin" This is a team competition and to really support Team Europe, I need to do whats best for them and at this moment there are other players who can help the team deliver the win".

Rafa' next scheduled event is that "Six Kings Slam exho, " in Saudi Arabia starting October 16

Just read some updated news,

Rafa said he hasnt any injury concerns at all, regarding his withdrawal from the Laver Cup

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Sad to say, but Rafa's is all but officially done. This almost feels like Sampras after the 2002 US Open and Federer after 2021 Wimbledon. It might take a while for him to officially retire, but it's highly likely he has already played his last official match (against Djokovic at the Olympics).

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sad to say, but Rafa's is all but officially done. This almost feels like Sampras after the 2002 US Open and Federer after 2021 Wimbledon. It might take a while for him to officially retire, but it's highly likely he has already played his last official match (against Djokovic at the Olympics).
Oh please lets wait for official news from Rafa when he is officially retiring okay ? before you have him retired officially
He is set to play an exho in Saudi Arabia in October if you have read the news I posted
Rafa also said he is not withdrawing from Laver Cup because of any injury!
Actually I am not surprised he is withdrawing from Laver Cup, Federer was on social media and said he had a phone call from Rafa last week, he didnt disclose much in their conversation, I am sure Rafa told Roger he wont be playing Laver Cup, seeing Roger has interests in Laver Cup

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie