Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Good news is that he won and his movement improved substantially. Two things..I hope it was either the taping too tight or some like a cramp..(like wearing new shoes)..Now if it's neither of those obstacles, then sadly it could just be foot pain management..If it's the latter, I would hope he withdrawals and rest the foot
His movement forward was okay,it was just his lateral movement .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
His movement forward was okay,it was just his lateral movement .
His forward movement was good but not great..lateral movement did show some improvement..Rafa had a pressor with PA and the fat guy at TC. He said he had some discomfort in the foot which he expected especially being on the hardcourts..He sounds upbeat but I have seen this before..I wouldn't be surprised if he withdrawals.Rafa was on the court probably an hour and half longer than he anticipated and needed to be..The better players will not let him off the hook like Sock did if he doesn't improves to play at a higher level.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The Good news is that he won and his movement improved substantially. Two things..I hope it was either the taping too tight or some like a cramp..(like wearing new shoes)..Now if it's neither of those obstacles, then sadly it could just be foot pain management..If it's the latter, I would hope he withdrawals and rest the foot
It was the latter which I suspected. The Good news is it didn't flare up until the 2nd set, the bad news is he still have to play 4 straight days to win this title and if he goes to Toronto he would get 3 days off before he has to repeat the process all over again. I'm concerned and I don't like worrying about Rafa's health challenges.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It was the latter which I suspected. The Good news is it didn't flare up until the 2nd set, the bad news is he still have to play 4 straight days to win this title and if he goes to Toronto he would get 3 days off before he has to repeat the process all over again. I'm concerned and I don't like worrying about Rafa's health challenges.

How come he has an injury, coming after almost two months of R&R?

I do remember Rafa losing to Mosquito in Rome when he had blisters on his foot, several years ago. I am wondering whether repeated play might lead to blisters developing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently, Rafa is not a definite NO for Cincy and keeping his options open. The following quote is from tennis.com

"He is also scheduled for the following week's event at Cincinnati, though he could withdraw if he decides he has had enough competitive play or experiences more injury problems."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That is pure speculation from journalist Tandon at tennis.com,saying Rafa may play Cinncy,Rafa has not said he will play Cinncy,regardless if he has not had enough competitive play or experience more injury problems.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
How come he has an injury, coming after almost two months of R&R?

I do remember Rafa losing to Mosquito in Rome when he had blisters on his foot, several years ago. I am wondering whether repeated play might lead to blisters developing.
It's really just getting the entire body including in match conditioning which takes some time. I hope that answers your question.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
That is pure speculation from journalist Tandon at tennis.com,saying Rafa may play Cinncy,Rafa has not said he will play Cinncy,regardless if he has not had enough competitive play or experience more injury problems.
It really depends how far he goes in Toronto. If he makes it to the semi's. No Cincinnati. If he goes only a few rounds he may want additional match play. The week off afterwards Cincinnati is perfect and enough time to practice or tweak parts of his arsenal before US Open play. As you know, this isn't Rafa's first rodeo.:)

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I did personally check the entry list for Cincy. Rafa's name is still there. Of course, in ATP 1000 tourneys entry list are created based on the rankings on the cut off date and a player's name appearing in it does not mean, they will actually play there. However, if Rafa is 100% certain that he will not play Cincy, he would have already informed them and they would have taken his name off the list. Rafa wanted to keep his options open and left his name stay there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It really depends how far he goes in Toronto. If he makes it to the semi's. No Cincinnati. If he goes only a few rounds he may want additional match play. The week off afterwards Cincinnati is perfect and enough time to practice or tweak parts of his arsenal before US Open play. As you know, this isn't Rafa's first rodeo.:)
Rafa has already said in June he would not play,I would be very surprised if he did.I posted that news here on this post btw

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Just looking at his draw for Toronto he could be playing Harris again in round 2 lol
Rafa should be ready for Harris. If his team reviews the tape he should be able to take away deep serves to the corners.Heck, he can even review the next match Harris had vs the glass Samurai who took him apart. Afterwards reviewing the field and the draw, Rafa doesn't have the luxury of playing against players like the recently retired Ferrer and the rapidly dropping newly married Monfils. ONLY Medvedev is the type of player Rafa can just roll the ball into play and begin to construct the points from behind the baseline. Sock and Harris both as well they should have provided punishment for a rusty from lack of match play Nadal who routinely drop the ball short whenever he lacks confidence. Rafa has to play every match likes he is facing Stefano's heavy strokes. If he does and his movement is fantastic, he should be able to compete with confidence.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa should be ready for Harris. If his team reviews the tape he should be able to take away deep serves to the corners.Heck, he can even review the next match Harris had vs the glass Samurai who took him apart. Afterwards reviewing the field and the draw, Rafa doesn't have the luxury of playing against players like the recently retired Ferrer and the rapidly dropping newly married Monfils. ONLY Medvedev is the type of player Rafa can just roll the ball into play and begin to construct the points from behind the baseline. Sock and Harris both as well they should have provided punishment for a rusty from lack of match play Nadal who routinely drop the ball short whenever he lacks confidence. Rafa has to play every match likes he is facing Stefano's heavy strokes. If he does and his movement is fantastic, he should be able to compete with confidence.

If Kyrgios wins his back to back matches in the first two rounds (I know it is a big if), then he will take out Ralph. Kyrgios always rises to the occasion when facing big name players.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa just has to play Harris like he did in the 2nd set....also as you are aware Rafa does not like to lose twice to any player.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
There is not a chance Rafa will lose to Harris again. No one is expecting that.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is not a chance Rafa will lose to Harris again. No one is expecting that.
Did you just call him Rafa? This has to be entered in TF Admin's logbook or something.
Joking aside, I also don't think Rafa will lose to Harris again.