Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
That's not true. And your post above about an asterisk is puny and lacking any understanding. While hard-headed Federer fans will argue to the death that Rafa carried no injury in his loss to Soderling, evidence tells us otherwise. What we're understanding now about Nadal pulling out of Wimbledon is that the turnaround is too short for the recovery. It IS very short this year. Nadal is 35 and has been trying for the last while to manage his schedule differently than in the past. I think that's obvious.

The clay season is physically intense, and emotionally so, too. I don't think it's terrible to say that Nadal doesn't feel physically up to Wimbledon, or, perhaps, emotionally so. His letdown after RG, which is usually accompanied by a win, came with a loss this year. If you think that manufacturing the intensity he brings to his work comes with an on/off switch, I think you would be wrong. So he's decided he needs a break...not injury, not asterisk, just not ready. Give it a rest.

Thank you for accepting that you would want to put an asterisk to Soderling's victory over Rafa. I don't remember what was @tented's position at that time. But, at least now he has said that he does not put any asterisk. As far as I know most if not all of Nadalites put some kind of asterisk to that loss of Nadal.

Sometimes people get blown off the court. This happens to the very best also. Roger got blown off the court by Cilic at USO once. He also got blown off the court by Thiem in IW finals. (Note: I am not saying that these are the only two occassions). Novak got blown off the court by Stan in RG finals. Just like that Rafa also got simply blown off the court in that 4th round of RG. Most of the Nadalites fail to accept it, partly because Soderling is not a big shot, partly because Rafa and Soderling had bad blood much before that match and mostly because "Rafa never loses a match without injury" theory.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thank you for accepting that you would want to put an asterisk to Soderling's victory over Rafa. I don't remember what was @tented's position at that time. But, at least now he has said that he does not put any asterisk. As far as I know most if not all of Nadalites put some kind of asterisk to that loss of Nadal.

Sometimes people get blown off the court. This happens to the very best also. Roger got blown off the court by Cilic at USO once. He also got blown off the court by Thiem in IW finals. (Note: I am not saying that these are the only two occassions). Novak got blown off the court by Stan in RG finals. Just like that Rafa also got simply blown off the court in that 4th round of RG. Most of the Nadalites fail to accept it, partly because Soderling is not a big shot, partly because Rafa and Soderling had bad blood much before that match and mostly because "Rafa never loses a match without injury" theory.
Ok, you don't want to talk about the here and now, but you want to relitigate the 2009 French Open. I have stated my position on that match more than a few times. If you want to talk about that match again with me, I will take it up with you on the Fedal Wars thread, but I won't disrupt this one with that. Meet me over there, and we can start that all over again. But as to Nadal skipping this Wimbledon, I said what I think makes sense, as I've earnestly expressed.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Board of Directors of the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation (RFET) has unanimously approved the creation of the "National Tennis Day' on June 3,coinciding with the date of Rafael Nadal's birthday.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Board of Directors of the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation (RFET) has unanimously approved the creation of the "National Tennis Day' on June 3,coinciding with the date of Rafael Nadal's birthday.
That's excellent! Tennis has been a good sport for Spain, and what better day to pick. Nice homage.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal has announced that he won't be playing Cincinnati tournament this year,no other reason than personally taking care of his body.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal has announced that he won't be playing Cincinnati tournament this year,no other reason than personally taking care of his body.

I was thinking he will take few weeks of R&R and then play Hamburg, Toronto and Cincy before USO. Do you know his full schedule for this year or at least for the summer?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was thinking he will take few weeks of R&R and then play Hamburg, Toronto and Cincy before USO. Do you know his full schedule for this year or at least for the summer?
No ,not as yet,Rafa I assume will play Toronto a tournament he has had success in the past.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At present Rafa is not looking too far into his playing schedule for the rest of the year,hoping he plays in Indian Wells is not a 'given'.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hmm … I’m not convinced this is a good idea, since it’s the week before the Rogers Cup, a more important tournament, which he has won several times.
Oops I forget about the Rogers Cup,I take your point.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Hmm … I’m not convinced this is a good idea, since it’s the week before the Rogers Cup, a more important tournament, which he has won several times.

Has he announced his full summer schedule? May be he plans to play DC and Toronto only, skipping Cincy where he does not do well often.