Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just a warning when you go to Twitter sometimes they delete posts,I have gone back to re-read posts on Twitter and they have disappeared.
Oh maybe that's the reason why I couldn't find it :pleading-face:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just watching on Ytube Rafa practicing with Carreno Busta

Rafa really practicing his bhand,he needs that to be 'on' especially if he meets Novak in the s/final,it went missing a bit in the final at Roma.
And his serve, which was needing work.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa will be practicing with Karatsev on Saturday.
This is interesting. Nadal and Karatsev have never played an ATP match. I'm working my way through the draw challenge, and Rublev and Karatsev could meet in the 4th round, the winner to play, presumably, Nadal. I'm not convinced Rublev will beat Karatsev, should they meet, so Nadal and Karatsev could be QF opponents.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is interesting. Nadal and Karatsev have never played an ATP match. I'm working my way through the draw challenge, and Rublev and Karatsev could meet in the 4th round, the winner to play, presumably, Nadal. I'm not convinced Rublev will beat Karatsev, should they meet, so Nadal and Karatsev could be QF opponents.
I agree with your tboughts on Rublev,so in hindsight Rafa having a practice with Karatsev could be beneficial,Karatsev does have heavy shots on both wings.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with your tboughts on Rublev,so in hindsight Rafa having a practice with Karatsev could be beneficial,Karatsev does have heavy shots on both wings.
I imagine that it benefits both. Everyone says that the Nadal weight of shot is a bit of a shock the first time, particularly on clay. And Nadal will still have the intimidation factor at RG, if it should become a match this tournament. But it will help Nadal to feel him out a bit. He's a tricky player. Rublev, he knows.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I imagine that it benefits both. Everyone says that the Nadal weight of shot is a bit of a shock the first time, particularly on clay. And Nadal will still have the intimidation factor at RG, if it should become a match this tournament. But it will help Nadal to feel him out a bit. He's a tricky player. Rublev, he knows.
Agree.

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I still find it surreal that Medvedev is seeded #2 at the French Open.

To summarize, he's won a total of 1 match in his last 5 clay court tournaments, and has never won a match at Roland Garos. Not one first round match for 4 straight years. In contrast, the player who has won 13 French Opens, including the last 4 in a row, who has come into the tournament having won 2 claycourt tournaments this season is seeded #3 behind him because he trails him by 163 points.

Obviously , Rafa doesn't need or benefit from favored seeding in Paris, but if ever there was a legitimate rationale to change a seeding at a Major this would be it. Did I mention Medvedev has never won a match at Roland Garos. The contrast of the 2 and 3 seeds recent FO history is jaw dropping. 4 straight championships versus 4 straight first round losses. Would anyone even squawk or object? I doubt even Medvedev would complain.

At the same time, I'm skeptical of the rationale of continuing to allow Wimbledon to be the only Major that adjusts rankings based on prior performances on the grass....If Roland Garos can tolerate this computer ranking status quo for the red clay, it throws out any rationale for Wimbledon to still presume their special surface status to manipulate seeding for the grass.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The reigning RG Champs afterwards their hitting session.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210529-191228.png
    Screenshot_20210529-191228.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol, If you are around on Twitter there is a post on the Laver Cup with Bjorn Borg stating he would have like to play Rafa on clay.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RG unveils a huge statue of Ralph.

yeah, we've done 2 pages at least on that statue. Front thinks it looks like Tomas Berdych. I think it looks like John Forsyth's character in "Scrooged." Margaret thinks they got the FH wrong. How do you like it?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
yeah, we've done 2 pages at least on that statue. Front thinks it looks like Tomas Berdych. I think it looks like John Forsyth's character in "Scrooged." Margaret thinks they got the FH wrong. How do you like it?
I too think it does not resemble Ralph as well as it could.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I too think it does not resemble Ralph as well as it could.
It's not as horrible as that one of Cristiano Ronaldo. If you're going to make a statue of a living person, it's always going to be controversial. I'm trying to embrace it...it's kinetic and it's very 21st C., both of which things represent Nadal. I made fun of it, but I think it's good. It get the vision.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa confirms he won't be playing Mallorca Champships (grass) and will decide about Wimbledon after some rest in Manacor.