Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa confirms he won't be playing Mallorca Champships (grass) and will decide about Wimbledon after some rest in Manacor.

Nobody expects Rafa to play in Mallorca considering that tourney is in the week preceding Wimbledon. Rafa usually plays in London (and Roger in Halle). I expect both to do the same this year as well.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nobody expects Rafa to play in Mallorca considering that tourney is in the week preceding Wimbledon. Rafa usually plays in London (and Roger in Halle). I expect both to do the same this year as well.
We will see,I think there is more to it than what he is alluding to quite frankly.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
We will see,I think there is more to it than what he is alluding to quite frankly.

Just checked the entry list of Queen's. Rafa did not bother to enter there (even though he ususally plays there). That is why there was probably even the talk of him playing in Mallorca. But, he did a good thing in not doing that. If you are a top player, you should not be playing the week before GS (although Novak violated that unwritten rule by playing in Serbia just before RG this year and still is successful, so far).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just checked the entry list of Queen's. Rafa did not bother to enter there (even though he ususally plays there). That is why there was probably even the talk of him playing in Mallorca. But, he did a good thing in not doing that. If you are a top player, you should not be playing the week before GS (although Novak violated that unwritten rule by playing in Serbia just before RG this year and still is successful, so far).
As I said there is more to it than that okay.I also checked Queens where he usually plays,though I guess he could ask for a WC somewhere.Rafa says he is mentally spent and needs a few days to recover before he starts thinking of playing Wimbledon.

Last edited:

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
This is real reason why Nadal lost 2009 RG and some other matches in his career. Such as AO- 2008, 2012 2017 2019 2020 2021)( RG- 2009 2015 2021) Wimbledon- 2012 2013 2014 2018) USO- 2009 2016). Clearly winning 20 majors with issue is out of this world feat and rises his status to Automatic Goat. With being ahead of Federer in most areas masters h2h, 2010s, 2020s Djokovic, year end number no.1s. And of course Nadal having more majors than Djokovic which is only stat that matters the most. Also winning 13 RG titles which is above any thing Djokovic ever did and clay is part of tennis it fits into overall greatness it would be unfair to say otherwise. Also Djokovic has won 12 of 19 slams on one surface anyway just as one-sided as Nadal both winning 7 outside their favourite surface. Anyway how many slams would Nadal have won if was not for this Issue guys?.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Probably 40, maybe 50. He isn't just the GOAT, he's the GOAPU (Greatest of All Possible Universes).

Not to mention if Novak wasn't a cheater who uses black magic and voodoo technology, and Roger wasn't favored by umps and roiding.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Probably 40, maybe 50. He isn't just the GOAT, he's the GOAPU (Greatest of All Possible Universes).

Not to mention if Novak wasn't a cheater who uses black magic and voodoo technology, and Roger wasn't favored by umps and roiding.
While that post was deserved, you did drop in on the "Rafa fans" thread to say it, so perhaps you can stop trying to posit yourself as the only impartial person on these boards, huh? You play the same game we all play. And it's fun! Just don't pretend you're above it. Let me mention you're responding to a troll. :D

tented

Administrator
Reactions
While that post was deserved, you did drop in on the "Rafa fans" thread to say it, so perhaps you can stop trying to posit yourself as the only impartial person on these boards, huh? You play the same game we all play. And it's fun! Just don't pretend you're above it. Let me mention you're responding to a troll. :D

@Nadal goat2 ’s post was originally its own thread, with @El Dude ’s response below. I moved both into this thread.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa pulling out of both SW19 and the Olympic Games!

• Sad
Reactions: tented

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I think that's a smart move for him. Time to recover and make a BIG push for US OPEN....

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Rafa Nadal

@RafaelNadal

·
2h

Hi all, I have decided not to participate at this year’s Championships at Wimbledon and the Olympic Games in Tokyo. It’s never an easy decision to take but after listening to my body and discuss it with my team I understand that it is the right decision

Rafa Nadal

@RafaelNadal

The goal is to prolong my career and continue to do what makes me happy, that is to compete at the highest level and keep fighting for those professional and personal goals at he maximum level of competition.

Rafa Nadal

@RafaelNadal

·
2h

Replying to
@RafaelNadal
The fact that there has only been 2 weeks between RG and Wimbledon, didn’t make it easier on my body to recuperate after the always demanding clay court season. They have been two months of great effort and the decision I take is focused looking at the mid and long term.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I get Nadal's reasoning and he's right to do so. Two weeks between the French and Wimbly is not enough time. The french should've started at a month earlier.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It sounds like he's setting himself up for the U.S. Open and the hardcourt season.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa pulling out of both SW19 and the Olympic Games!

I hope Nadalites don't place an asterisk over his loss to Novak @RG this year like they did to his loss to Soderling (claiming, look he withdrew from Wimbledon and so obviously he is injured/not in his elements etc).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope Nadalites don't place an asterisk over his loss to Novak @RG this year like they did to his loss to Soderling (claiming, look he withdrew from Wimbledon and so obviously he is injured/not in his elements etc).
Excuse me?.............I strongly suggest you read the reasons why Rafa is not playing Wimbledon and Olympics before assuming Rafa fans are going to place an asterisk over this year's loss RG etc.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Excuse me?.............I strongly suggest you read the reasons why Rafa is not playing Wimbledon and Olympics before assuming Rafa fans are going to place an asterisk over this year's loss RG etc.

What Rafa says does not necessarily align with what most Nadalites say.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dont put us all in the one basket okay.I am not surprised he is not playing Wimbledon,I am disappointed of course,in regards to the Olympics he has nothing more to prove there,with the ongoing COVID outbreaks in Japan I am happy he is not attending.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's not true. And your post above about an asterisk is puny and lacking any understanding. While hard-headed Federer fans will argue to the death that Rafa carried no injury in his loss to Soderling, evidence tells us otherwise. What we're understanding now about Nadal pulling out of Wimbledon is that the turnaround is too short for the recovery. It IS very short this year. Nadal is 35 and has been trying for the last while to manage his schedule differently than in the past. I think that's obvious.

The clay season is physically intense, and emotionally so, too. I don't think it's terrible to say that Nadal doesn't feel physically up to Wimbledon, or, perhaps, emotionally so. His letdown after RG, which is usually accompanied by a win, came with a loss this year. If you think that manufacturing the intensity he brings to his work comes with an on/off switch, I think you would be wrong. So he's decided he needs a break...not injury, not asterisk, just not ready. Give it a rest.