Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Considering he beat them both this week, I found Casper Ruud's comments back in Oct 2019 interesting: re:Stefano Tsitsipas and Felix AA

Just goes to prove once again that if there's just a slight shift in performance there's not much separating the top 50 on any given day...
Interesting

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal won the Laureus award despite clearly not being the best tennis player in 2020. No justification of 13th RG matters since that's a career achievement and not an annual thing

I did some digging and found this Article. Now the award makes sense

• Wow
Reactions: napo

napo

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Nadal won the Laureus award despite clearly not being the best tennis player in 2020. No justification of 13th RG matters since that's a career achievement and not an annual thing

Wow this looks ugly.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Your really showing your disdain for Rafa arent you,you cannot help yourself....you lead a sad miserable life.
Rafa is now rigging the Laureus awards LOL! ..........pathetic.It's a wonder you didn't mention Roger Federer had a hand in it as well lol!
I am afraid you fan favorite Novak was not in the running...his famous Arida Tour who could forget that ill famed event and of course his disqualification at the USO....

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Out of interest....why in the name of Odin's beard do they announce the 2021 sportsman of the year when the year isn't even half over ?! Seems beyond nuts to me. Not only tennis but how many other sports do people have left to win titles for the whole remainder of 2021?!

• Haha

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Your really showing your disdain for Rafa arent you,you cannot help yourself....you lead a sad miserable life.
Rafa is now rigging the Laureus awards LOL! ..........pathetic.It's a wonder you didn't mention Roger Federer had a hand in it as well lol!
I am afraid you fan favorite Novak was not in the running...his famous Arida Tour who could forget that ill famed event and of course his disqualification at the USO....
Why does it show my disdain, I just did some quick google search

Are you telling me you do not find it suspicious at all that Nadal is in a business relationship with Laureus, highlighted from the article? And you also think its a happy coincidence that this win from Rafa benefits Laureus financially

Article from Laureus Website:- Link
Article from Nadal's Foundation:- Link

Please debate the facts that I am pointing and please do not attack me

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Why does it show my disdain, I just did some quick google search

Are you telling me you do not find it suspicious at all that Nadal is in a business relationship with Laureus, highlighted from the article? And you also think its a happy coincidence that this win from Rafa benefits Laureus financially

Article from Laureus Website:- Link
Article from Nadal's Foundation:- Link

Please debate the facts that I am pointing and please do not attack me
Go away and get a life will you and stop publishing rubbish...Bitter Novak Fans came out from their rocks yesterday and carried on,just like you.I will attack you because at any chance to discredit Rafa or Roger you cannot help yourself
If you do not think a athlete winning 13 titles at a GS qualifies for an award then I feel sorry for you.
I have many level headed Novak fans as friends they congratulated Rafa for not just 13 titles but leveling 20GS titles with Federer.
I am not discussing this further with you.

Reactions: Moxie

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Go away and get a life will you and stop publishing rubbish...Bitter Novak Fans came out from their rocks yesterday and carried on,just like you.I will attack you because at any chance to discredit Rafa or Roger you cannot help yourself
If you do not think a athlete winning 13 titles at a GS qualifies for an award then I feel sorry for you.
I have many level headed Novak fans as friends they congratulated Rafa for not just 13 titles but leveling 20GS titles with Federer.
I am not discussing this further with you.
Again you are attacking me insteam of debating the clear conflict of interest present. An athlete winning 13 titles at a slam deserves an award but something related to the career rather than an annual award. This award has always been about annual performances

The fact that you are unable to say that Nadal was the best tennis player in 2020 to justify this awards speaks volumes. I am just pointing facts, and it is an unquestionable fact that Nadal is in a business relationship with Laureus. If you are not willing acknowledge that, that’s fine but doesn’t change the fact that this is true.

I will always debate facts and will never attack your character. If you don’t want to debate, that’s your choice and I respect that.

But please don’t say Nadal is not in a business relationship with Laureus

Also FYI, I think Lewandaski should have won this award, not Djokovic as the tennis season was cut short. This was always an award about performance and the Adria Tour as well as US open disqualification don’t matter

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Out of interest....why in the name of Odin's beard do they announce the 2021 sportsman of the year when the year isn't even half over ?! Seems beyond nuts to me. Not only tennis but how many other sports do people have left to win titles for the whole remainder of 2021?!
It's easy enough to assume, like the Oscars or the Baftas, that you win the 2021 award for work done in 2020. Seems like there are bigger fights to be had over this, and I am just the gal for it, but this part is not rocket science.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Again you are attacking me insteam of debating the clear conflict of interest present. An athlete winning 13 titles at a slam deserves an award but something related to the career rather than an annual award. This award has always been about annual performances

The fact that you are unable to say that Nadal was the best tennis player in 2020 to justify this awards speaks volumes. I am just pointing facts, and it is an unquestionable fact that Nadal is in a business relationship with Laureus. If you are not willing acknowledge that, that’s fine but doesn’t change the fact that this is true.

I will always debate facts and will never attack your character. If you don’t want to debate, that’s your choice and I respect that.

But please don’t say Nadal is not in a business relationship with Laureus

Also FYI, I think Lewandaski should have won this award, not Djokovic as the tennis season was cut short. This was always an award about performance and the Adria Tour as well as US open disqualification don’t matter
To be clear, Nadal's foundation is in a charitable relationship with an arm of Laureus's children's charity. It's a bit of a stretch to call that a "business" relationship. Laureus was founded by Nelson Mandela. So you can ask yourself why Federer, whose mother is South African, has won it so many times, too. If you want to be that conspiratorial about it.

But to the more direct point of Nadal being the best candidate for the award: You say that winning 13 titles at one Major is more equivalent to some kind of lifetime achievement, rather than athlete of the year, if I'm reading you right? But, firstly, Nadal's career isn't over, and he may yet win more there. And you may personally have preferred Lewandowski, but he plays a team game, and what he achieved was, in part, a group effort. What Nadal did was single-handedly beat any record by man or woman in singles (normally-abled) tennis. All by himself, and despite great odds, he won Roland Garros again. Last year. And that record begins to transcend his own sport. You may prefer football, but what Lewandowski accomplished doesn't even come close to, say, Messi's best year. The only other nominee with an individual world record was Joshua Cheptegui, so he should have been your other pick. Don't make it about some faked-up inside deal. What Nadal did was bigger than tennis. He deserves the award.

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
It's easy enough to assume, like the Oscars or the Baftas, that you win the 2021 award for work done in 2020. Seems like there are bigger fights to be had over this, and I am just the gal for it, but this part is not rocket science.
Flawed too imo. Should be at the end of the year for both so that it reflects that year. Makes no sense otherwise in terms of how the name reflects the award.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
To be clear, Nadal's foundation is in a charitable relationship with an arm of Laureus's children's charity. It's a bit of a stretch to call that a "business" relationship. Laureus was founded by Nelson Mandela. So you can ask yourself why Federer, whose mother is South African, has won it so many times, too. If you want to be that conspiratorial about it.

But to the more direct point of Nadal being the best candidate for the award: You say that winning 13 titles at one Major is more equivalent to some kind of lifetime achievement, rather than athlete of the year, if I'm reading you right? But, firstly, Nadal's career isn't over, and he may yet win more there. And you may personally have preferred Lewandowski, but he plays a team game, and what he achieved was, in part, a group effort. What Nadal did was single-handedly beat any record by man or woman in singles (normally-abled) tennis. All by himself, and despite great odds, he won Roland Garros again. Last year. And that record begins to transcend his own sport. You may prefer football, but what Lewandowski accomplished doesn't even come close to, say, Messi's best year. The only other nominee with an individual world record was Joshua Cheptegui, so he should have been your other pick. Don't make it about some faked-up inside deal. What Nadal did was bigger than tennis. He deserves the award.
Okay addressing your second point, Nadal winning his 13th RG is huge but only if you consider he had won it 12 times before 2020. In the context of awards that take only 2020 into account, he had just won RG and was not even the best tennis player of the year. So I don't think he should have won sportsman of the year for something that takes minimum 13 years to accomplish.

Lewandowski on the other hand was the top scorer in the Bundesliga, top scorer in the Champions League, won the golden boot, and was part of the team that did a European Sextuple which has only happened once before in the history of football. His not being close to Messi's best year does not matter I think because we are only looking at 2020. By that logic, Nadal also did not come close to his best year, that doesn't mean he cannot win the award

I agree with Football and Tennis but Tennis was heavily curtailed which football wasnt. So that is why I think a tennis player should not have won the award last year

Also on your point being this is a foundation, foundations are still a business. There is a huge conflict of interest present as Nadal and Laureus are working together. This has nothing to do with citizenship which is not a business relationship.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay addressing your second point, Nadal winning his 13th RG is huge but only if you consider he had won it 12 times before 2020. In the context of awards that take only 2020 into account, he had just won RG and was not even the best tennis player of the year. So I don't think he should have won sportsman of the year for something that takes minimum 13 years to accomplish.

Lewandowski on the other hand was the top scorer in the Bundesliga, top scorer in the Champions League, won the golden boot, and was part of the team that did a European Sextuple which has only happened once before in the history of football. His not being close to Messi's best year does not matter I think because we are only looking at 2020. By that logic, Nadal also did not come close to his best year, that doesn't mean he cannot win the award

I agree with Football and Tennis but Tennis was heavily curtailed which football wasnt. So that is why I think a tennis player should not have won the award last year

Also on your point being this is a foundation, foundations are still a business. There is a huge conflict of interest present as Nadal and Laureus are working together. This has nothing to do with citizenship which is not a business relationship.
Your argument for Lewandowski is just your opinion. These kinds of awards really can always be argued for/against in the same way. Like Oscars. Eventually, it's very hard to compare performances by players in different sports. They guy you thought should have won it didn't and you're going to blame what you call a conflict of interest. Others here feel we make a likewise completely legitimate argument for our guy winning it. Obviously you are unhappy about it, but that's really too bad.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Your argument for Lewandowski is just your opinion. These kinds of awards really can always be argued for/against in the same way. Like Oscars. Eventually, it's very hard to compare performances by players in different sports. They guy you thought should have won it didn't and you're going to blame what you call a conflict of interest. Others here feel we make a likewise completely legitimate argument for our guy winning it. Obviously you are unhappy about it, but that's really too bad.
Are you saying there is absolutely no conflict of interest present?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Are you saying there is absolutely no conflict of interest present?
I understand that the optics aren't great, though I still disagree with you that collaborating your children's charities is the same thing as being in business together. To me, "conflict of interest" seems a bit much. The award doesn't come with any money. And let's face it, the Laureus awards are far from the biggest thing out there. I don't see how it's more than a pleasant bauble to have. You might argue that the track guys could have gained a bit more in endorsements had they won it. It's your right to complain about it, but it's a bit of a tempest in a teapot, if you ask me.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GOATdal > tennisville
GOATdal > Djokovic
GOATdal > Federer
GOATdal > Tennis
GOATdal > Awards
GOATdal > Everything

Stop being jealous and stop hating on him. :finger:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has raised doubts about his participation in this year's Tokyo Olympics amid the COVID-19 pandemic,saying on Tuesday at a press conference in Rome that he has to be flexible and cannot give a clear answer until he organzies his schedule for the year.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa has raised doubts about his participation in this year's Tokyo Olympics amid the COVID-19 pandemic,saying on Tuesday at a press conference in Rome that he has to be flexible and cannot give a clear answer until he organzies his schedule for the year.
Well, that's fair. Osaka has also come out to say she's not sure the Tokyo Olympics should be held based on what is going on there. Rafa is one of the players who does take the pandemic very seriously. There are plenty of them, but there are some who have demonstrated that they do not.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, that's fair. Osaka has also come out to say she's not sure the Tokyo Olympics should be held based on what is going on there. Rafa is one of the players who does take the pandemic very seriously. There are plenty of them, but there are some who have demonstrated that they do not.
Nishikori has also echoed Osaka words on the Tokyo Olympics,even the Japanese people are protesting in the streets they do not want it to go ahead.I hope Rafa does not go,to me it is too risky,there are severe outbreaks again where the Olympics will be held.I also feel all athletes that attend need to have COVID vaccinations.