Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just looking at Rafa's draw for Madrid....

1st match Mannarino or Alcaraz
R16 Sinner
QF Zverev
SF Theim
F Medvedev.
Just glancing at the draw, but I think Rublev makes the date before Thiem. And I agree with @Front242 that Medvedev doesn't get there...more likely Tsitsipas.

Reactions: napo

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just glancing at the draw, but I think Rublev makes the date before Thiem. And I agree with @Front242 that Medvedev doesn't get there...more likely Tsitsipas.
The draw is for projected seedings,on paper,which doesn't mean they will make the q/finals,etc.Rublev is still a question mark for me in Madrid,as I feel he played too many tournaments back to back and needs a rest.Theim is just coming back,Medvedev a question mark too,The Young Greek has all the momentum to make the final.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The draw is for projected seedings,on paper,which doesn't mean they will make the q/finals,etc.Rublev is still a question mark for me in Madrid,as I feel he played too many tournaments back to back and needs a rest.Theim is just coming back,Medvedev a question mark too,The Young Greek has all the momentum to make the final.
It Rafa is willing to suffer, he will be in the finals vs Tstis

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, I get why you posted it like that. I was just riffing with opinions. Rublev has been over-playing, but I'll be very surprised if Thiem and Medvedev show up hot out of the blocks.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yup, got that too especially with regard to Medvedev in the final. I was just being a dope :D But I'm serious still about not expecting Medvedev anywhere near the final at the same time but would be happy for him to prove me wrong and do well on clay this year.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No, I get why you posted it like that. I was just riffing with opinions. Rublev has been over-playing, but I'll be very surprised if Thiem and Medvedev show up hot out of the blocks.
Thiem Yes, Daniil Medvedev I'm not so sure.. Rublev may have a good run until he faces Rafa..( this one of the endearing qualities of the Rafa Nadal mystic, he has a memory like an elephant.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I still haven't found a full recording of the Barcelona final..(I did on ATP site but it's almost $20)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yup, got that too especially with regard to Medvedev in the final. I was just being a dope :D But I'm serious still about not expecting Medvedev anywhere near the final at the same time but would be happy for him to prove me wrong and do well on clay this year.
Medvedev has the game for clay,he just has to get over that yes your socks get dirty etc......:)

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting revisit of the Nadal d. Djokovic Madrid SF 2009. At the time, it was the longest 3-setter in Men's tennis history. Later surpassed by Federer d. delPotro at Olympics SF 2012. A lot of repercussions were claimed for this match as with the latter one. In any case, it was a pretty great match.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting revisit of the Nadal d. Djokovic Madrid SF 2009. At the time, it was the longest 3-setter in Men's tennis history. Later surpassed by Federer d. delPotro at Olympics SF 2012. A lot of repercussions were claimed for this match as with the latter one. In any case, it was a pretty great match.
It was a great match..it's Interesting to see the treks and adjustments that both players made and the counter adjustments to try to gain an competitive advantage.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Finally, found a recording of the Barcelona final..very entertaining match .. Tsits is going to be alot to deal with at Rome and RG..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm hoping that Rafa works on several parts of his game at Madrid ..the serve and the DTL BH. His movement was better in Barcelona than MC..( I never thought I would ever have a negative comment in regards to Rafa's play at the dirt in MC although I said at the time , his loosing to AR was a good thing.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Rafa Nadal winning the 2021 Laureus Sportsman Of The Year Award!!!!!!!
( other nominees this year were Joshua Cheptegei,Amand Duplantis,Lewis Hamilton,LeBron James and Robert Lewandowski).

• Love

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congratulations to Rafa Nadal winning the 2021 Laureus Sportsman Of The Year Award!!!!!!!
( other nominees this year were Joshua Cheptegei,Amand Duplantis,Lewis Hamilton,LeBron James and Robert Lewandowski).
Thanks for that, Margaret. I really thought he might. There was a lot of talk about his 13th RG transcending tennis as a great sports achievement.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for that, Margaret. I really thought he might. There was a lot of talk about his 13th RG transcending tennis as a great sports achievement.
It was a great sports achievement and Rafa deserved the award.BTW it is Rafa's fourth Laureus award.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Considering he beat them both this week, I found Casper Ruud's comments back in Oct 2019 interesting: re:Stefano Tsitsipas and Felix AA

Just goes to prove once again that if there's just a slight shift in performance there's not much separating the top 50 on any given day...

Last edited: