Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will play Borges (7) in the final tomorrow not before 2pm, this is their first meeting
BTW Rafa has moved now into the 160 with these wins in Bastad, if he wins the title he will be around 120 ranking
As I posted on the ATP News, if Rafa wins the title tomorrow he will be the oldest player to win an ATP title on clay ( 2024 38y 1 m)
Wawrinka 38+ in 2023 lost a ATP250 in Umag
This has been an excellent week for problem solving for Nadal..especially vs first time opponents.. that is not easy to do with his limited time on the tour this year

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa was asked about playing the USO ( he is on the entry list) at his post presser. He said he will decide after the Olympics.His only other confirmed event is the Laver Cup.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This has been an excellent week for problem solving for Nadal..especially vs first time opponents.. that is not easy to do with his limited time on the tour this year
'We are lucky that Rafa still has the passion and his love for tennis", with all the injuries, set backs and time off the tour most players would have hung up their rackets by now.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa was asked about playing the USO ( he is on the entry list) at his post presser. He said he will decide after the Olympics.His only other confirmed event is the Laver Cup.
He is going to play with that protective #9 ranking.. Rafa's no fool. he knows if he is healthy and is playing good which makes him feel he can play himself into GS tournament tough.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He is going to play with that protective #9 ranking.. Rafa's no fool. he knows if he is healthy and is playing good which makes him feel he can play himself into GS tournament tough.
Well he said he was tired after playing that marathon of a QF match, though he didnt feel any aches or pains, which is a pleasing sign

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well he said he was tired after playing that marathon of a QF match, though he didnt feel any aches or pains, which is a pleasing sign
I wouldnt expect Rafa to win the title. Too much time on the court this week. Winning this title is not the GOAL. Competing and having fun playing a sport that he has been playing for over 25 years of his life is the most important.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I wouldnt expect Rafa to win the title. Too much time on the court this week. Winning this title is not the GOAL. Competing and having fun playing a sport that he has been playing for over 25 years of his life is the most important.
Oh well Rafa got to a final, though I think too much time on the court this week has taken its toll against Borges, who will serve for the match 5-2 and for his first ATP title
Borges at age 27 wins his first ATP title 63 62 well done
Well done to Rafa for getting to a final, too much time cost him in ways, still a good effort and now he can have some well deserved rest before the Olympic Games

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh well Rafa got to a final, though I think too much time on the court this week has taken its toll against Borges, who will serve for the match 5-2 and for his first ATP title
Borges at age 27 wins his first ATP title 63 62 well done
Well done to Rafa for getting to a final, too much time cost him in ways, still a good effort and now he can have some well deserved rest before the Olympic Games
@Moxie @nehmeth @kskate2 You good folks remember back in the day the poster CLAY Death would always say for Rafa to get his game back to prominence, he would have to go back to the clay courts regardless if it was the first swing of the american hardcourt season. This week was exactly what Rafa is doing. I think also by playing the games on clay he is getting himself back into be tournament mentally tournament condition. I think the goal is the play painfree and if so, make a strong push if POSSIBLE at the Open in late Aug.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
@Moxie @nehmeth @kskate2 You good folks remember back in the day the poster CLAY Death would always say for Rafa to get his game back to prominence, he would have to go back to the clay courts regardless if it was the first swing of the american hardcourt season. This week was exactly what Rafa is doing. I think also by playing the games on clay he is getting himself back into be tournament mentally tournament condition. I think the goal is the play painfree and if so, make a strong push if POSSIBLE at the Open in late Aug.
I have to agree with Moxie Rafa looked tired today and 38 yrs old, his serve was awful today, his best service game was against Borgs in round 1
Still he is a fighter and he showed that in the tournament, he does need a good rest before the Olympics
Lets see how he fares after the Olympics as Rafa said in one of his pressers he will make a decision regarding the USO after the Olympics,he will play at the Laver Cup that is confirmed

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa after his loss today in the final,
Not happy with his tennis overall, despite grinding his way to his first final since RG 2022.Rafa was boosted by the way his body handled the heavy load of matches on the clay court.The level was so far from what it should be, probably energy too.
Positive, I was able to play long matches without having an injury thats good.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to agree with Moxie Rafa looked tired today and 38 yrs old, his serve was awful today, his best service game was against Borgs in round 1
Still he is a fighter and he showed that in the tournament, he does need a good rest before the Olympics
Lets see how he fares after the Olympics as Rafa said in one of his pressers he will make a decision regarding the USO after the Olympics,he will play at the Laver Cup that is confirmed
AP
There is no way Rafa can play himself into the USO ( granted he plays first) his first serve needs attention it was poor against Borges
Rafa needs to play a warm up tournament before the USO to begin, he is 38 years old, it showed against Borges today in the final, those days of Rafa playing himself into tournaments are long gone sad to say even with his PR of 9 dosent mean he will get a decent draw, look what happened at his draw RG this year for starters

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
From Olly@Ollytennis, source.as.com/jueges-olimpic)

Nadal and Alcaraz will begin their training at Roland Garros Monday 22nd July ahead of the Olympics
They will practice separetely tomorrow, but have set aside 2 days to practice doubles alongside each other.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa and Carlos have arrived in Paris for the Olympics, they both will stay at the Olympic Village.
First practice together is on Wednesday ( olly@Olly-Tennis)

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
"Rafaraz" :) is the nickname for Rafa and Alcaraz who are playing doubles for Spain at the Olympics

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
AP
There is no way Rafa can play himself into the USO ( granted he plays first) his first serve needs attention it was poor against Borges
Rafa needs to play a warm up tournament before the USO to begin, he is 38 years old, it showed against Borges today in the final, those days of Rafa playing himself into tournaments are long gone sad to say even with his PR of 9 dosent mean he will get a decent draw, look what happened at his draw RG this year for starters
Shorter points and first strike tennis is Rafa's weapons at this point. If he has his happy feet, fresh legs and his ability to problem solve may get Rafa through a few rounds at USO. I have confident if a top player knows that he has to "deal" with Rafa on a night session in NYC with that crowd, it could get interesting.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shorter points and first strike tennis is Rafa's weapons at this point. If he has his happy feet, fresh legs and his ability to problem solve may get Rafa through a few rounds at USO. I have confident if a top player knows that he has to "deal" with Rafa on a night session in NYC with that crowd, it could get interesting.
Rafa has to play a warm up event before the USO, eg Canada, just my thoughts even if he gets a few matches before playing USO, as I posted having a PR ranking of 9 dosent ensure he will get a reasonable draw at the USO ' if he plays', look what happened at RG? his serve has to improve out of sight, in the final at Sweden it was poor. Anyway lets see first if he does play the USO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has to play a warm up event before the USO, eg Canada, just my thoughts even if he gets a few matches before playing USO, as I posted having a PR ranking of 9 dosent ensure he will get a reasonable draw at the USO ' if he plays', look what happened at RG? his serve has to improve out of sight, in the final at Sweden it was poor. Anyway lets see first if he does play the USO.
MM.. I posted about this last week. He needs to play Montreal and go far in the event just like he did this past week. Last week was a total success. Everything worked out well although its too much extended time on the court. However, Extended time on the court gives you the ability to problem solve while suffering with body fatigue and mental anguish. This is what was needed to be successful in NYC ( e.g. 2022 Australian Open comebacks especially vs Meddy in the final). When all things holds true ( holding true means Rafa is holding serve and hitting his spots or isnt jaded like he was Sunday or Novak was in the SW19 final) Rafa knows if he can make the match a chess match on the court, he has no peers but NOVAK's ability to PROBLEMSOLVE. Yes Carlitos and SInner are much tougher players than they were two years ago but Novak's and Rafa's has the ability to take it to another level. Its hard to explain but 20 years of breaking down opponents does not occur by happenstance. Yes Carlitos destroy Novak at SW19 but that was not Novak at his peak. IMO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
MM.. I posted about this last week. He needs to play Montreal and go far in the event just like he did this past week. Last week was a total success. Everything worked out well although its too much extended time on the court. However, Extended time on the court gives you the ability to problem solve while suffering with body fatigue and mental anguish. This is what was needed to be successful in NYC ( e.g. 2022 Australian Open comebacks especially vs Meddy in the final). When all things holds true ( holding true means Rafa is holding serve and hitting his spots or isnt jaded like he was Sunday or Novak was in the SW19 final) Rafa knows if he can make the match a chess match on the court, he has no peers but NOVAK's ability to PROBLEMSOLVE. Yes Carlitos and SInner are much tougher players than they were two years ago but Novak's and Rafa's has the ability to take it to another level. Its hard to explain but 20 years of breaking down opponents does not occur by happenstance. Yes Carlitos destroy Novak at SW19 but that was not Novak at his peak. IMO
Well Novak is the defending champion at USO this year, going on his current form, forget about the knee surgery, his form this year has been poor and to date has not won a title so far this year, it was his decision to play Wimbledon? he got a favorable draw, his walkover to the SF probably saved his knee in ways, Andy Roddick said the same thing and got a easy SF, before he was shown the door in 3 sets by Alcaraz? also keep in mind the USO is Novaks worst slam?. I know one of his priority this year was to win a Gold Medal at Roland Garros, can you honestly see him winning gold at the Olympics?
Gone are the days Rafa can work himself into tournaments, we are on the same page that he needs to play warm up tournament before the USO, if he plays?
Alcaraz and Sinner in my opinion are the strong favs going into the USO this year both like fast HC, especially Sinner who I hope can stay healthy, sad to see him at Wimbledon, a court surface with his flat hitting that suits his game, and sickness got the better of him in his match against Meddy
The warm up tournaments before the USO maybe a factor, going from clay to hard court will be a factor for some players
Again the draw at USO will be telling, Novak and Alcaraz got favorable draws at Wimbledon, will they both get favorable draws at USO?

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa singles draw at Paris Olympics.\
R1 Fucsovics
R2 Djokovic
R3 Fils
QF Tsitsipas/Baez
SF Zverev/Musetti/Fritz
F Alcaraz/Medeved/Ruud