Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He needs be very careful now not to over do it with the Olympics just around the corner. I saw while working that it took nearly 4 hours. Some fun points in the doubles matches so far with Ruud.
I agree Front, he was fully tested today physically hoping he has some left in the tank for his SF singles match tomorrow

Reactions: Front242

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
He needs be very careful now not to over do it with the Olympics just around the corner. I saw while working that it took nearly 4 hours. Some fun points in the doubles matches so far with Ruud.
I agree Front.. Depending how well the ice bath recovery and massage go tonight. He will come out with a ton of fire power in the Semi.. Will Rafa be a bit jaded tomorrow, of course but this is what he signed up for. Give his opponent credit, he was knocking the Robin Soderling out the ball with his fh.. it was massive at times.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just did a bit of research of Rafa's SF opponent for tomorrow
Serbian tennis player Ajdukovic, ranking #115 is a quailifer in this tournament, has won 2 ATP challenger titles and 9 ITF titles 23 year old

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will play his SF singles match against Q D.Ajdukovic at 1.00pm local time tomorrow
After suitable rest, after the 2nd SF singles match
Rafa and Casper will play their SF doubles match against Q.Luz/R.Matos no 3 seeds
BTW this is Rafa's first singles SF match since Wimbledon 2022.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will repost this stat here, as I posted on the ATP General News,

The QF match Rafa played against Navone was the second longest BO3 match in his whole career
Only 3 minutes slower than his Madrid SF against Djokovic in 2009!

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa says every tournament is important at this stage of his career and that the Nordea Open is not preparation for the Olympics rather he plays a tournament to win not to prepare ( source The Tennis Weekly Podcast).

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will be just fine. If worse comes to shove, he will just pull out of the doubles. He's hungry to snap a 2-year singles title drought, and I think that's his main priority.

It looks like this is the beginning of Rafa's last hurrah: https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/rafael-nadal-rafa-farewell-tour-bastad-navone-ruud-norrie
BTW Casper has pulled out of Kitzbuhel so it would be a shame if he did not get to play doubles in Bastad with Rafa in their SF.
Rafa's first singles match is 1.00 pm local time first up on CC
Followed by the 2nd singles match
Then there is suitable rest time for the 38 year old youngster to play with Casper in their SF doubles match

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa will be just fine. If worse comes to shove, he will just pull out of the doubles. He's hungry to snap a 2-year singles title drought, and I think that's his main priority.

It looks like this is the beginning of Rafa's last hurrah: https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/rafael-nadal-rafa-farewell-tour-bastad-navone-ruud-norrie
In fairness, he hasn't played Bastad in 20 years, or something, and is only playing because of the Olympics, so it's easy to make his farewell there. But I'm with AP that he seems like he intends to play next year, if he's still fit and competitive.

I'm with you that Rafa can pull out of doubles if he wants to protect his singles. He'll see how he's feeling tomorrow after such a grueling match today.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In fairness, he hasn't played Bastad in 20 years, or something, and is only playing because of the Olympics, so it's easy to make his farewell there. But I'm with AP that he seems like he intends to play next year, if he's still fit and competitive.

I'm with you that Rafa can pull out of doubles if he wants to protect his singles. He'll see how he's feeling tomorrow after such a grueling match today.
Moxie
I suggest you read my post as Rafa said he wasnt playing Bastad in preparation for the Olympics? rather he plays a tournament to win.
As Ruud has pulled out of a tournament to play doubles with Rafa in their match tomorrow Rafa has suitable rest to play doubles I feel, as his match is the first on CC then the 2nd SF singles match after rest the doubles SF

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie
I suggest you read my post as Rafa said he wasnt playing Bastad in preparation for the Olympics? rather he plays a tournament to win.
I did see your post. Of course he plays tournaments to win them, but let's not kid ourselves. He's playing because he needs to get prepared for the Olympics. Both things can be true. I also saw that you think it would be a shame if Rafa pulled out of doubles, since Ruud has pulled out of Kitzbuhel. I don't see how one follows the other? I think we also know that players who are primarily focused on singles tend to have a hand-shake agreement on pulling out of doubles if it interferes with singles. Plus, if Ruud has pulled out of Kitzbuhel, doesn't that mean he doesn't want to be tired for the Olympics? To me, it signals that he doesn't need any more match play, either.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I did see your post. Of course he plays tournaments to win them, but let's not kid ourselves. He's playing because he needs to get prepared for the Olympics. Both things can be true. I also saw that you think it would be a shame if Rafa pulled out of doubles, since Ruud has pulled out of Kitzbuhel. I don't see how one follows the other? I think we also know that players who are primarily focused on singles tend to have a hand-shake agreement on pulling out of doubles if it interferes with singles. Plus, if Ruud has pulled out of Kitzbuhel, doesn't that mean he doesn't want to be tired for the Olympics? To me, it signals that he doesn't need any more match play, either.
Oh well lets see if Rafa does play just singles, he did have a long hard singles match but came out the victor,
Players usually play doubles for extra practice and yes Rafa needed the extra practice.
Most people feel that Ruud did pull out of Kitzbuhel to play SF doubles with Rafa, tennis journalists I follow.
We shall see tomorrow.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh well lets see if Rafa does play just singles, he did have a long hard singles match but came out the victor,
Players usually play doubles for extra practice and yes Rafa needed the extra practice.
Most people feel that Ruud did pull out of Kitzbuhel to play SF doubles with Rafa, tennis journalists I follow.
We shall see tomorrow.
It's possible that Ruud wants to play with Rafa as much as he can, given that we're at the end of his career, even if it's another year or so off. But we're also closing in on the Olympics. You always have your finger on the pulse of when draws come out. Any idea when the Olympic draw comes out?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's possible that Ruud wants to play with Rafa as much as he can, given that we're at the end of his career, even if it's another year or so off. But we're also closing in on the Olympics. You always have your finger on the pulse of when draws come out. Any idea when the Olympic draw comes out?
Sorry I just came back home, I think it is one week for the draw I will confirm ASAP when I double check
The draws for the Olympic tennis events will be made Thursday 25th July at 10.00 UK Time

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal defeats Ajdukovic in another 3-setter 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 to reach his 131st career final. One more win away from his 93rd title.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa is into his first final since RG 2022 with a 3 set win over Q Ajdukovic 46 63 64 in a match just over 2 hours
2 great signature fh winners sealed the match for Rafa
Well done Rafa!
Rafa will play either Borges or Tirante in the final tomorrow

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa and Ruud have withdrawn from their doubles SF match later, probably expected as Rafa has had a lot of time on court and needs recovery time for tomorrow final

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will play Borges (7) in the final tomorrow not before 2pm, this is their first meeting
BTW Rafa has moved now into the 160 with these wins in Bastad, if he wins the title he will be around 120 ranking
As I posted on the ATP News, if Rafa wins the title tomorrow he will be the oldest player to win an ATP title on clay ( 2024 38y 1 m)
Wawrinka 38+ in 2023 lost a ATP250 in Umag

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa after his SF win ( source tennisnow.com)
" I'm still in this process of recovering a lot of things that I lost because I had a very important hip surgery almost one year ago, so things are not going that easy.But I am fighting, I think matches like yesterday and today help improve a lot of things on court".