Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
"I have internalized what I have had throughout my life, which is to demand myself the maximum, and right now what I really hope is to be able not to do that, not to demand the maximum, to accept that things are going to be very difficult at the beginning and to give myself the necessary time and forgive myself if things go wrong at the beginning, which is a very big possibility."

(I read the quote in Spanish, and trust me it's more elegant.) Typical Rafa being philosophical...not just underselling his chances, which he has done in the past, but telling himself that he can't go "all out," at first, which goes against his nature.

Who knows what he has left to give, and how the body holds up, but I expect he'll make a heroic last push.
Thanks for the translation

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow . I'm surprised they didn't have a full seating. I guess they decided to only have a selected few to attend their sessions

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Y'all think this guy is going to be a great tennis player one day...

Look how he moves into the net to finish the point...everyone has acted like he was allergic to the net until post 2012, or something. We all knew better. Plus, he's always had a great drop shot.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for the translation
I think I have learned that's the greatestness of Rafa. He knows he has fans like all of Us who except him to comeback and compete to destroy the entire tour especially on clay. He wants Us to lower those expectations and just enjoy watching him play. God Bless him.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think I have learned that's the greatest of Rafa. He knows he has fans like all of Us who except him to comeback and compete to destroy the entire tour especially on clay. He wants Us to lower those expectations and just enjoy watching him play. God Bless him.
I honestly think that Rafa has one of the great philosophical minds in tennis. It gets under-appreciated because of the language gap. Certainly a lot of this comes from his Uncle Toni, who brought a very philosophical approach to his coaching of Rafa. I actually have a book called "Sirve Nadal, Responde Socrates," written by Toni with a journalist called Pere Mas. Very interesting.

There is a Zen to Nadal's approach to tennis which is rare. Much is made of Rafa's willingness to suffer, which is a very ascetic quality, fostered by Toni. But I think what is under-appreciated is his capacity for acceptance. This sounds counter-intuitive to his fighting spirit, which is very strong, but I don't think it is.

I can't find Nadal's on-court speech after he beat Daniil Medvedev in the RR of YEC 2019. Some of you will remember that Medvedev was up two breaks and serving at 5-1 in the 3rd. Medvedev rather fell apart, and Nadal went on to win that match. But, in the on-court interview after, the commie handed Nadal a softball: "What can you say to the kids about not giving up, after a match like this?" Rafa said, and I'm paraphrasing, "No, no. There is nothing to learn from a match like this. One time in one thousand you will win it. The important thing is that you accept that you are not the best player. You don't break the racquet. You accept that you are going to lose."

It's hard to break down just how subtle that is, as a thought process, for a great champion. But I do think it explains a lot as to why Rafa has won matches that he looked like he'd lose. He's willing to stand up and take his licks. He may not be the best player on the day, but he will honor the opponent and the game by continuing to play his best. That's not the same as giving up. It's actually the opposite. And we've seen it more than a few times, that, in the face of a player some advantage, and even in the face of defeat, it's the other player that buckles. I'm not sure how to explain why I think that a fighting spirit and the notion of "acceptance" combine so well, but I do.

What Nadal is telling us now is that he is accepting his body and his career as it is. Or trying to. But "acceptance" for him has never meant giving up. I firmly believe that it's part of his winning spirit.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Then I see this and just imagine

I honestly think that Rafa has one of the great philosophical minds in tennis. It gets under-appreciated because of the language gap. Certainly a lot of this comes from his Uncle Toni, who brought a very philosophical approach to his coaching of Rafa. I actually have a book called "Sirve Nadal, Responde Socrates," written by Toni with a journalist called Pere Mas. Very interesting.

There is a Zen to Nadal's approach to tennis which is rare. Much is made of Rafa's willingness to suffer, which is a very ascetic quality, fostered by Toni. But I think what is under-appreciated is his capacity for acceptance. This sounds counter-intuitive to his fighting spirit, which is very strong, but I don't think it is.

I can't find Nadal's on-court speech after he beat Daniil Medvedev in the RR of YEC 2019. Some of you will remember that Medvedev was up two breaks and serving at 5-1 in the 3rd. Medvedev rather fell apart, and Nadal went on to win that match. But, in the on-court interview after, the commie handed Nadal a softball: "What can you say to the kids about not giving up, after a match like this?" Rafa said, and I'm paraphrasing, "No, no. There is nothing to learn from a match like this. One time in one thousand you will win it. The important thing is that you accept that you are not the best player. You don't break the racquet. You accept that you are going to lose."

It's hard to break down just how subtle that is, as a thought process, for a great champion. But I do think it explains a lot as to why Rafa has won matches that he looked like he'd lose. He's willing to stand up and take his licks. He may not be the best player on the day, but he will honor the opponent and the game by continuing to play his best. That's not the same as giving up. It's actually the opposite. And we've seen it more than a few times, that, in the face of a player some advantage, and even in the face of defeat, it's the other player that buckles. I'm not sure how to explain why I think that a fighting spirit and the notion of "acceptance" combine so well, but I do.

What Nadal is telling us now is that he is accepting his body and his career as it is. Or trying to. But "acceptance" for him has never meant giving up. I firmly believe that it's part of his winning spirit.
If the tennis Gods can bless Us with 3/4 GS finals in 2024..that would be awesome..I'm so excited that he brought Fils to work out with him. It's a win win for both players IMO.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Netflix will broadcast a live tennis match for the first time ever. An exhibition between Rafa Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz in Las Vegas just before Indian Wells 2024, Sunday March 3. ( this event was cancelled this year, due to injuries to both players).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
On my local cable , the Bally Network shows tennis matches from earlier in the year or previous years. Every Nadal match that is showed is a lost..The ONLY match that is shown is Rafa's victory over Cressey... SMH2.. obviously the network program director is one of Novak's fans . jajaja

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Very positive comments from Fils about Rafa's tennis levels from their hitting and practicing sessions
It looks very positive for Rafa right now. Something tells me he won't go down quitely, without the fight. If his body holds we can expect some great matches from him this year on the biggest stage. He is not getting younger, but he is fresh now and I think he still has the hunger to win slams. He might do the "Last Dance" in 2024.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have watched some of the video's of Rafa practice week in Kuwait against Fils, I dont wont to be a 'Debbie Downer" playing a practice match and coming back on the tour after being out for most of the year in 2023 will not be easy for Rafa, I am looking at the draw at Brisbane International which is a good strong field, Rafa has a wild card. At the AO he will use his protected ranking.

Reactions: shawnbm and Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have watched some of the video's of Rafa practice week in Kuwait against Fils, I dont wont to be a 'Debbie Downer" playing a practice match and coming back on the tour after being out for most of the year in 2023 will not be easy for Rafa, I am looking at the draw at Brisbane International which is a good strong field, Rafa has a wild card. At the AO he will use his protected ranking.
Understood. I'll be happy with what he can bring.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Understood. I'll be happy with what he can bring.
Plz. @Moxie You want him to rip and decimate these current ATP pretenders and to ambush/assassinate that Jerkovic at AO. Jajaja just kidding with you. I am hoping now FINALLY he will play first strike tennis on HC because he is definitely living on borrowed time.

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Look at our Dawg puttin in that hard work Let's not wait a month..I say send Novak an invite to the Nadal Academy...Let's get it ON;

Reactions: Moxie