Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
View attachment 8888

This is not a confidence booster for any of us…
Thanks for posting the entire message Kieran..I posted on the other thread that mid November to early December Rafa hopefully will be painfree from his soft tissue hip recovery..if not I'm very concerned that his future results may be average by his standards.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for posting the entire message Kieran..I posted on the other thread that mid November to early December Rafa hopefully will be painfree from his soft tissue hip recovery..if not I'm very concerned that his future results may be average by his standards.
They’ll be worse than his results post-Wimbledon semi withdrawal - and they were nondescript…

• Sad
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
They’ll be worse than his results post-Wimbledon semi withdrawal - and they were nondescript…
Well on the positive side, he is practicing and hopefully Rafa is just being transparent that he hasn't reached the point in his recovery where's his tennis abilities is totally painless.not too many players are this transparent IMO

Reactions: tented and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Still I have THIS in my top 5 setters of all time..not because of the results but the tennis was sublime at times.

Safin vs Federer at the A0 04 or 05 is right nextdoor to this one too IMO..

• Love
Reactions: Moxie and tented

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Still I have THIS in my top 5 setters of all time..not because of the results but the tennis was sublime at times.

It was 2005. Federer blitzed everyone in 2004, including Safin in the final.

Later that spring, some teenager named Rafael Nadal would announce his arrival at the French Open, and the rest is history.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Classic match in general, and one of Rafa’s finest moments. The back-to-back SF & F ‘09 AO wins are among his greatest achievements.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Classic match in general, and one of Rafa’s finest moments. The back-to-back SF & F ‘09 AO wins are among his greatest achievements.
Playing back to back matches at the AO in 2009, was one of Rafa's finest physical achievements as well, after the SF with Verdasco I doubted Rafa would have the physical strength in the final, of course how wrong was I :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Probably the worst use of my $300 for front row seats at the stadium. I was so pissed I almost booed Rafa..

Rafa owes me for this one. SMH2

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
If anyone thinks that Rafa is going to play pain-free for the rest of his career, or if he's played pain-free for even the past few years, you're kidding yourself. He'll tough it out, but I think his pain-free years are behind him.
In my opinion, the last time Rafa played pain free was 2022 Indian Wells (before suffering the injury in the final). At this point, I think Rafa's main priority is to play in the Olympics for closure. Keep in mind, since winning the singles gold in the 2008 Olympics, Rafa hasn't really had a chance to defend that because he missed the Olympics in 2012 and 2021, and wasn't really fully healthy in 2016 (he withdrew from RG and missed Wimbledon prior the Olympics). If Rafa is even 80% healthy, he will win a few titles and be a contender at RG and the Olympics. Don't forget that Rafa struggled through the 2022 clay season after his return from injury in the IW final, but still won the French Open in a diminished state.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If anyone thinks that Rafa is going to play pain-free for the rest of his career, or if he's played pain-free for even the past few years, you're kidding yourself. He'll tough it out, but I think his pain-free years are behind him.
Quite frankly I think Rafa has always had suffered some pain in his career,
Let us not forget he was diagnosed in 2005 with Muller-Weiss Syndrome, which is a debilitating foot condition, the doctors told him he may not be able to play tennis for too long, he has tried many treatments over the year, and finally found injections that helped him, in 2022.
His knee problems were always a concern, though he has managed them, apart from other parts of his body that got injured ( abs), I feel he has managed pain well over the years, and yes he has played tournaments when he shouldn't, he can be stubborn.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I really feel that Rafa should play in a challenger event for a few weeks..I know it sounds crazy but Rafa needs Repetitive competition tournament play which I don't think he can find if tries to participate at the 250 level. If his body holds up Rafa should next try the 250-500 levels..I don't wont to see him go against a current top atp level player initially. Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I really feel that Rafa should play in a challenger event for a few weeks..I know it sounds crazy but Rafa needs Repetitive competition tournament play which I don't think he can find if tries to participate at the 250 level. If his body holds up Rafa should next try the 250-500 levels..I don't wont to see him go against a current top atp level player initially. Any thoughts on this?
I think it’s a great idea. He could get matches, whereas he’s likely to bomb out in round one of a bigger event, especially if he’s faces a seed..

• Love
Reactions: the AntiPusher

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I'd like to see him play the Australian Open first, to see where he is. Then, if needed, he can play the 250-500 level tournaments post-Australian Open. The last thing I want to see happen is him playing a 250 level tournament pre-Australian Open and struggling/losing to nobodies like what happened at the 2021 Citi Open.

The most important thing for Rafa is to be healthy during the clay court season, and peaking during the French Open and Olympics. Those are the two big titles I think Rafa can still win at this point.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd like to see him play the Australian Open first, to see where he is. Then, if needed, he can play the 250-500 level tournaments post-Australian Open. The last thing I want to see happen is him playing a 250 level tournament pre-Australian Open and struggling/losing to nobodies like what happened at the 2021 Citi Open.

The most important thing for Rafa is to be healthy during the clay court season, and peaking during the French Open and Olympics. Those are the two big titles I think Rafa can still win at this point.
@PhiEaglesfan712 Why play just "give away" AO without being in top tournament championship conditioning.. Rafa has been in 6 finals there so we in know what he can do.. remember I think it was 2019. Rafa returns from an long layoff and destroyed the field but wasn't "ready" to face Novak's dominance game there. If Rafa begins a few challengers he may reach his peak level by early January..just my two cents worth

Reactions: Kieran