Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa will play his first singles match against Dominic Thiem who came through qualifiers in Brisbane
( Rafa did play a practice set against Dom the other day winning 6-3)
I just find this funny. Out of all "ordinary" guys that go through qualies, it was Thiem who turned out to be his opponent in R1. I think Rafa wins in 2 sets.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just find this funny. Out of all "ordinary" guys that go through qualies, it was Thiem who turned out to be his opponent in R1. I think Rafa wins in 2 sets.
We shall see I want to watch his doubles match which hasnt started as yet, starting shortly I hope, I am glad Rafa is playing in both singles and doubles matches in Brisbane, he will need the match play, being out for most of the 2023 season

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Max Purcell and Jordan Thompson defeated Rafa and Marc Lopez 64 64
Actually I saw glimpses of positive play from Rafa, his over head is still 100% strong, good to see Rafa smiling on the court
Rafa will play his singles match against Thiem on Tuesday, though I will check later to see if that is correct

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Max Purcell and Jordan Thompson defeated Rafa and Marc Lopez 64 64
Actually I saw glimpses of positive play from Rafa, his over head is still 100% strong, good to see Rafa smiling on the court
Rafa will play his singles match against Thiem on Tuesday, though I will check later to see if that is correct
Thiem came back from a mp and a huge deficit I heard to win his qualifying match. That's gonna be a great test for Rafa.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thiem came back from a mp and a huge deficit I heard to win his qualifying match. That's gonna be a great test for Rafa.
Also he had a 'brown snake' crawl on his court and his match had to be stopped lol! they had to get a proper snake handler on court to get rid of the snake
Theim is still having to play qualies in tournaments, unless he gets a WC, he really hasnt found the form he had before his wrist injury, he injured his wrist in 2021, has not won a tournament even at challenger level, and quite frankly I cannot see him getting back to that level before his wrist injury

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Also he had a 'brown snake' crawl on his court and his match had to be stopped lol! they had to get a proper snake handler on court to get rid of the snake
Theim is still having to play qualies in tournaments, unless he gets a WC, he really hasnt found the form he had before his wrist injury, he injured his wrist in 2021, has not won a tournament even at challenger level, and quite frankly I cannot see him getting back to that level before his wrist injury
I heard about that very venomous brown snake ...u Aussies are just too dangerous including the vermins.. Again don't count out Thiem...he is young and it's just confidence but i doubt if you like him as a tennis player

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I heard about that very venomous brown snake ...u Aussies are just too dangerous including the vermins.. Again don't count out Thiem...he is young and it's just confidence but i doubt if you like him as a tennis player
We are used to snakes, though not on a tennis court, Dom is 30 years old,, not a youngster anymore, no it is more than confidence, he is no where near the level before his wrist injury more than 2 years ago, point being he still hasnt been able to win a tournament, even when he entered the challenger tournaments.It has nothing to do if I like him as a tennis player, just stating the facts, at his current level of play.which has not improved, if it did, his ranking would have improved, maybe won a tournament and not have to reply on WCs into tournament, not have to play qualifer to get into main draws at tournaments. Quite frankly it is hard to come back after having a serious wrist injury, and try to have the same power you once had.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Remember the good old days lol! lets live in the present okay, Rafa could have drawn a number of quailfers in his first round match, both players are Not the Level they used to be, that is a Fact! I am not going down memory lane, I am looking at the present without rose coloured glasses on! I suggest you do the same, if you want to be a Fan Boy of Theim go ahead, maybe you should start up his own Fan page at TF.
Quite frankly I am over discussing Theim, I have stated my views on Theim, which I am not going to change, even if he does defeat Rafa on Tuesday.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Remember the good old days lol! lets live in the present okay, Rafa could have drawn a number of quailfers in his first round match, both players are Not the Level they used to be, that is a Fact! I am not going down memory lane, I am looking at the present without rose coloured glasses on! I suggest you do the same, if you want to be a Fan Boy of Theim go ahead, maybe you should start up his own Fan page at TF.
Quite frankly I am over discussing Theim, I have stated my views on Theim, which I am not going to change, even if he does defeat Rafa on Tuesday.
Was all that necessary..Jeez. I don't understand. You blasted me about wacky AZZ Nick...but you get upset with me when I say you seem like you don't like Thiem..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Was all that necessary..Jeez. I don't understand. You blasted me about wacky AZZ Nick...but you get upset with me when I say you seem like you don't like Thiem..
AP, I'm with Margaret here, and I don't think she doesn't like Thiem, she's just stating the facts. (I'm also with @don_fabio, in that it's kind of funny that of all the qualifiers, Rafa draws the other Major winner.) I actually think he's perhaps better off with a known opponent, even though Thiem knows he can beat Rafa on HCs. He's been struggling to close since his wrist injury. Anyway, could be an interesting match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BTW, Happy New Year, Margaret, since it's already "tomorrow" where you live!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
AP, I'm with Margaret here, and I don't think she doesn't like Thiem, she's just stating the facts. (I'm also with @don_fabio, in that it's kind of funny that of all the qualifiers, Rafa draws the other Major winner.) I actually think he's perhaps better off with a known opponent, even though Thiem knows he can beat Rafa on HCs. He's been struggling to close since his wrist injury. Anyway, could be an interesting match.
You missing my point. No worries..I hope it's a good match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You missing my point. No worries..I hope it's a good match.
I don't think so...you're saying that Thiem is a dangerous first opponent. No argument, per se...we're all just gaming ups and downs. As one who has been hoping for Thiem to find his game again, I will, frankly, be pissed off if he finally manages v. Rafa, if you take my point. LOL!

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa's first singles match against Thiem is a early night match, Brisbane, Tuesday 2nd January not before 6.30pm local time

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think so...you're saying that Thiem is a dangerous first opponent. No argument, per se...we're all just gaming ups and downs. As one who has been hoping for Thiem to find his game again, I will, frankly, be pissed off if he finally manages v. Rafa, if you take my point. LOL!
If he defeats Rafa which could happen that's on Nadal and his team for not playing some challengers matches instead of a win or go home tournament like the current.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If he defeats Rafa which could happen that's on Nadal and his team for not playing some challengers matches instead of a win or go home tournament like the current.
If Rafa gets defeated he can always play in the Kooyong Classic a round robin competition before the AO to get some extra match practice

Reactions: Moxie