Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Sinner v. Medvedev final, and the commentator says that, if Sinner wins today, and Rafa doesn't come back before Monte Carlo, that will end his run in the top 10 (currently at 908 weeks.)
Sad news, I heard it to, great record, though to me Rafa being healthy and fit is more important

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just watching Sinner v. Medvedev final, and the commentator says that, if Sinner wins today, and Rafa doesn't come back before Monte Carlo, that will end his run in the top 10 (currently at 908 weeks.)
So that means that as of now he would already be mathematically eliminated, but even if Medvedev prevails over Sinner today, depending on how other players do the rest of the winter/spring season as long as Rafa doesn't play IW, he would in all likelihood drop out of the top ten regardless, no?

ETA: Medvedev just won in 3 sets.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie,

Sinner lost, so at present he is okay, still no word yet he Rafa plays IW or not, still if looks unlikley
With Medvedev winning he will be ranked No 8 when the new rankings come out on Monday ( tomorrow your time)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is some happy news,

Manacor City Council will install a sculpture in homage Rafael Nadal. This has been decided by the spokepersons of all the municipal groups and the Mayor Miquel Oliver, after the tennis player's last historic victory ( Roland Garos)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So that means that as of now he would already be mathematically eliminated, but even if Medvedev prevails over Sinner today, depending on how other players do the rest of the winter/spring season as long as Rafa doesn't play IW, he would in all likelihood drop out of the top ten regardless, no?

ETA: Medvedev just won in 3 sets.
I really just quoted the commentator. I don't know what the math is if Rafa doesn't play until MC, and I rather hope he doesn't. The weeks in the Top 10 is nice, but he has that record by a mile, and no one seems to care about it in the GOAT discussion. :lol6:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Gotta love Rafa he just tweeted Messi deserves to win (Messi and Mpappe are the 2 footballers who were also named in the Laureus Sportsman of the Year Award)

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gotta love Rafa he just tweeted Messi deserves to win (Messi and Mpappe are the 2 footballers who were also named in the Laureus Sportsman of the Year Award)
I hadn't looked at the nominees, but I think he's right that Messi will get it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hadn't looked at the nominees, but I think he's right that Messi will get it.
The other nominees are Kylian Mbappe, Max Verstappen and Stephen Curry
People are saying Messi and Mbappe are in a football team,with other players, even though their efforts at the World Cup, especailly Messi was a standout

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The other nominees are Kylian Mbappe, Max Verstappen and Stephen Curry
People are saying Messi and Mbappe are in a football team,with other players, even though their efforts at the World Cup, especailly Messi was a standout
Steph Curry is also on a team. (NBA.) I don't pay that much attention to Laureus, but I know how awards work. Love Mbappe, but France didn't win the World Cup. No one really cares about Formula One, if I may be so rude. Rafa showed heart and soul to win the AO last year, which was individual effort, with the 14th RG on top of it, and he gets my vote, but Messi finally winning it for Argentina, and he had a lot to do with it, WAS the story, and football matters more, so I think he'll get it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Steph Curry is also on a team. (NBA.) I don't pay that much attention to Laureus, but I know how awards work. Love Mbappe, but France didn't win the World Cup. No one really cares about Formula One, if I may be so rude. Rafa showed heart and soul to win the AO last year, which was individual effort, with the 14th RG on top of it, and he gets my vote, but Messi finally winning it for Argentina, and he had a lot to do with it, WAS the story, and football matters more, so I think he'll get it.
Rafa has always been a big fan of Messi, I can understand why he thinks he will win, and Argentina finally winning with Messi being the 'stand out player' of the tournament, I also have a feeling he will win

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa has always been a big fan of Messi, I can understand why he thinks he will win, and Argentina finally winning with Messi being the 'stand out player' of the tournament, I also have a feeling he will win
Rafa respects Messi for his abilities. But do remember that Messi played most of his career for Barça, and Rafa is a Real Madrid fan. Surely there is some begrudging in there. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa respects Messi for his abilities. But do remember that Messi played most of his career for Barça, and Rafa is a Real Madrid fan. Surely there is some begrudging in there. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
LOL! at the end of the day Rafa is a huge football fan as you are aware, he tweeted after Argentina won and congratulated Messi on his performance,

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1676946442835.png
1676946511209.png
1676946600226.png

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I would not be surprised if Rafa wins,remember he won his double career slam wining the AO and won a historic 14th GS at RG, becoming the leader in GS singles and tennis is a indvidual sport, he had to achieve this by himself on court, not like Messi , Curry and Mbappe

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would not be surprised if Rafa wins,remember he won his double career slam wining the AO and won a historic 14th GS at RG, becoming the leader in GS singles.
I've already said that my vote goes to Rafa, and tennis is an individual sport. Many arguments for him. But the sentimental vote will go to Messi.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I've already said that my vote goes to Rafa, and tennis is an individual sport. Many arguments for him. But the sentimental vote will go to Messi.
I am not sentimental at all, so my vote goes to Rafa, I mean winning 14 GS at RG to me is one of the outstanding sporting achievements in any sport.
BTW I wish he could confirm or not he wont be playing IW