Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While I agree with you also, I would hope/prefer to have Alcaraz on Medvedev's half. I don't want Nadal to run a lot on the last Friday of the USO.
Alcaraz and Coric aren't the same conversation, no? With Zverev out, Rafa will be #2 seed, Alcaraz #3, Tsitsipas #4. Are you more worried about Alcaraz than Tsitsipas? (OK, maybe that is fair, since Alcaraz is young and trending, even if he's gone a bit fallow.) Surely he's more dangerous than the Manila Folder that is the Greek. Coric is a potential spoiler, and I don't think Rafa, or anyone, wants to see him too early. Medvedev? I'd love Coric in his half. I don't see this as a USO where the top 4 make the finals. I think Rafa can, and he can win it. I'd be amazed if he's not the betting favorite. I think there could be a lot of shuffling and upset, depending on the draw. With Novak out, maybe it will end up being the top two seeds. But I'm sure we'll all being salivating over the draw. There are a lot of landmines in there, and neither Rafa nor Meddie comes in especially convincing.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Alcaraz and Coric aren't the same conversation, no? With Zverev out, Rafa will be #2 seed, Alcaraz #3, Tsitsipas #4. Are you more worried about Alcaraz than Tsitsipas? (OK, maybe that is fair, since Alcaraz is young and trending, even if he's gone a bit fallow.) Surely he's more dangerous than the Manila Folder that is the Greek. Coric is a potential spoiler, and I don't think Rafa, or anyone, wants to see him too early. Medvedev? I'd love Coric in his half. I don't see this as a USO where the top 4 make the finals. I think Rafa can, and he can win it. I'd be amazed if he's not the betting favorite. I think there could be a lot of shuffling and upset, depending on the draw. With Novak out, maybe it will end up being the top two seeds. But I'm sure we'll all being salivating over the draw. There are a lot of landmines in there, and neither Rafa nor Meddie comes in especially convincing.
I do not think anyone want to see Coric in their draw, but for Nadal, he would probably would want to see Coric in the 4th Rd or QFs than Alcaraz in the SF (assuming Alcaraz makes it far).

My reasoning is this: If Nadal will have a tough test on a HC slam, I would prefer for him to have it either 4th round or QF rather than QF and then SF. The reason is because Nadal is 36 years old he can't afford to have a long, tough physical match(es) before the final. I am okay with him doing that either in the final (last match of the tournament) or 4th Round/QF (the middle week of a slam so he would have time to physically recover).

I would often say this about this year: 2022 AO is a prime example. He had a long physical match under the extreme heat against Shapovalov the QF. Thank the heavens he had two days off before the SF match. Then, in the SF, he faced Matteo (which is is a great match-up for Nadal) and he did not have to spend a lot of energy to beat him. As a result, Nadal had a lot of energy reserves against Medvedev in the final. If Nadal have a spent a lot of energy in the SF, he would have been physically tired in the final.

Another example: Djokovic in the 2021 RG Final and 2021 US Open Final. In the RG final, Tsitsipas just couldn't close the deal but Djokovic looked flat in the first two sets of the match. But, in the 2021 US Open Final, Djokovic looked both mentally and physically flat. Yes, there were a lot on the line on that day and Djokovic could not capitalize the moment, but I think playing that 5 set physical match against Zverev two days before the final did not helped Djokovic's cause. By the way, FULL CREDIT to Medvedev for seizing the golden opportunity to win his maiden Slam title!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I do not think anyone want to see Coric in their draw, but for Nadal, he would probably would want to see Coric in the 4th Rd or QFs than Alcaraz in the SF (assuming Alcaraz makes it far).
I don't exactly agree, though I certainly hope he doesn't face both. If I were betting my house, I'd say that Coric has a better chance of reaching 4th round or QF than Alcaraz has of reaching the SFs, which is my reasoning. Don't get me wrong...I'd rather not see either in his draw.

My reasoning is this: If Nadal will have a tough test on a HC slam, I would prefer for him to have it either 4th round or QF rather than QF and then SF. The reason is because Nadal is 36 years old he can't afford to have a long, tough physical match(es) before the final. I am okay with him doing that either in the final (last match of the tournament) or 4th Round/QF (the middle week of a slam so he would have time to physically recover).
I kind of disagree. I think when Rafa gets to SF and finals, he finds the energy.

I would often say this about this year: 2022 AO is a prime example. He had a long physical match under the extreme heat against Shapovalov the QF. Thank the heavens he had two days off before the SF match. Then, in the SF, he faced Matteo (which is is a great match-up for Nadal) and he did not have to spend a lot of energy to beat him. As a result, Nadal had a lot of energy reserves against Medvedev in the final. If Nadal have a spent a lot of energy in the SF, he would have been physically tired in the final.
Perfectly reasonable argument.

Another example: Djokovic in the 2021 RG Final and 2021 US Open Final. In the RG final, Tsitsipas just couldn't close the deal but Djokovic looked flat in the first two sets of the match. But, in the 2021 US Open Final, Djokovic looked both mentally and physically flat. Yes, there were a lot on the line on that day and Djokovic could not capitalize the moment, but I think playing that 5 set physical match against Zverev two days before the final did not helped Djokovic's cause. By the way, FULL CREDIT to Medvedev for seizing the golden opportunity to win his maiden Slam title!
I think we agree that we'd prefer Rafa not to play a long 5-setter before the USO final, should he get there, but I don't think Alcaraz is the main problem. Obviously, a long way to go, but I still think that if Rafa get's capped, it's more likely to be before the SFs than after.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't exactly agree, though I certainly hope he doesn't face both. If I were betting my house, I'd say that Coric has a better chance of reaching 4th round or QF than Alcaraz has of reaching the SFs, which is my reasoning. Don't get me wrong...I'd rather not see either in his draw.
I am the opposite, while Coric is hot right now, he might struggle a little bit at the US Open. We have seen this before in which players play well in 500s and M1000 but struggle at the next slam. And its true for the opposite (struggle at M1000 but play well at Slams).

As for Alcaraz, while he hasn’t done particularly “well” at slams yet, he has the talent to go on a run.

So, all in all, I prefer long term plan (play Coric in the QF, but avoids Alcaraz in the SF).

Now, I don’t mind Nadal playing Alcaraz at SF, but I will pray that Nadal will be healthy AND don’t have to face Medvedev in the final.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am the opposite, while Coric is hot right now, he might struggle a little bit at the US Open. We have seen this before in which players play well in 500s and M1000 but struggle at the next slam. And its true for the opposite (struggle at M1000 but play well at Slams).

As for Alcaraz, while he hasn’t done particularly “well” at slams yet, he has the talent to go on a run.

So, all in all, I prefer long term plan (play Coric in the QF, but avoids Alcaraz in the SF).

Now, I don’t mind Nadal playing Alcaraz at SF, but I will pray that Nadal will be healthy AND don’t have to face Medvedev in the final.
All good reasoning, and I don't disagree. Just guessing, at this point. I do think that Alcaraz is all upside and dangerous potential, and we don't know when he's going to really break out, meaning be that real elite threat, but it's just a matter of time. He'll probably be 3rd favorite to win it all. Very anxious to see the draw.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa had a good practice session today with Taylor Fritz, Serena and Sakkari were practicing under the roof on Ashe, due to rain, after they finished, sun appeared and Rafa's practice began.

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will play an exhibition match in Quito, Ecuador on Sunday 27th November, 2022.
Rafa said he is excited to visit Ecuador for the 1st time
Loves the Latin/Americans' crowd support
As a nature lover, he'd love to visit w/more time in the future, especially the Galapagos Islands.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa had a good practice session today with Taylor Fritz, Serena and Sakkari were practicing under the roof on Ashe, due to rain, after they finished, sun appeared and Rafa's practice began.
Wow.. that's the first time I'm hearing Serena practicing with non male hitting partners..can you imagine 2002-2005 Serena posing with the Greek Goddess Maria. ESPN Body's edition would have broken all time sales records

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow.. that's the first time I'm hearing Serena practicing with non male hitting partners..can you imagine 2002-2005 Serena posing with the Greek Goddess Maria. ESPN Body's edition would have broken all time sales records
Apparently Renae Stubbs contacted Serena and advised her to practice with a Top ranked female player on the tour, rather than her hitting partner, reason she was practicing with Sakkari, which I think is an excellent idea

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently Renae Stubbs contacted Serena and advised her to practice with a Top ranked female player on the tour, rather than her hitting partner, reason she was practicing with Sakkari, which I think is an excellent idea
Well,well , well @Moxie @kskate2 @tented and @MargaretMcAleer haven't I been saying that for the past few years, Serena needs to hit vs women not Vee. Good grief It shouldn't have taken Renae Stubb's initiative to convince Serena, just common sense and tennis IQ which I know Serena's is very high.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well,well , well @Moxie @kskate2 @tented and @MargaretMcAleer haven't I been saying that for the past few years, Serena needs to hit vs women not Vee. Good grief It shouldn't have taken Renae Stubb's initiative to convince Serena, just common sense and tennis IQ which I know Serena's is very high.
Okay I will give you that, lol! it finally happened....well done AP

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa will play Rinky Hijikata in the first round.

The first seeded player he'll face is Kecmanovic.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa projected draw for the USO

R1 WC Hijikita
R2 Fognini/Karatsev
R3 Kermanovic ( Rafa was practicing with him yesterday)
R4 Schwartzman
QF Norrie/Rublev
SF Alacaraz /Huckacz/Sinner
F Medvedev/Tsutsipas/FAA/Ruud

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

R1 WC Hijikita
R2 Fognini/Karatsev
R4 Schwartzman
QF Norrie/Rublev
I love his draw because R2, R3 and R4 matches will give him enough rhythm to be prepared for the final weekend. Also, he avoided the big hitters/servers like FAA, Fritz (can only meet at SF now) and Kyrgios.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

R1 WC Hijikita
R2 Fognini/Karatsev
R4 Schwartzman
QF Norrie/Rublev
Has anyone seen Fognini play lately? He likes a big stage, and knows he has beaten Rafa here. It could be a tricky second round.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Has anyone seen Fognini play lately? He likes a big stage, and knows he has beaten Rafa here. It could be a tricky second round.
Jack Draper WC,defeated him in 3 sets at Winston Salem tournament 2 days ago, Jack went onto defeat Thiem yesterday in straight sets

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Jack Draper WC,defeated him in 3 sets at Winston Salem tournament 2 days ago, Jack went onto defeat Thiem yesterday in straight sets
OK, thanks.

Karatsev isn’t a walkover either. Rafa will have a tough 2nd round, but it will be good for him to be challenged and know he can survive.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Nadal will be "challenge" but it will be those challenge in which he will have good and long rallies that allow to him get some rhythm.
That’s precisely what I had in mind when I wrote that, but didn’t phrase it as eloquently as you.

Reactions: Moxie