Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In his press conference, he said he’ll begin practicing from the baseline in a week, but no serving.
That is good news.I just received news from the Spanish journalist I follow stating he has arrived in Barcelona for more tests, then going on to Mallorca

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
That is good news.I just received news from the Spanish journalist I follow stating he has arrived in Barcelona for more tests, then going on to Mallorca
Have you ever seen pics of Rafa’s private plane? I’m assuming he has one given the nature of his traveling, and always with a group of other people.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Have you ever seen pics of Rafa’s private plane? I’m assuming he has one given the nature of his traveling, and always with a group of other people.
No I have not, though seeing he does travel with a large group,like you I assume he has one.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
In his press conference, he said he’ll begin practicing from the baseline in a week, but no serving.
That's very positive and the correct approach to getting ready for the 2nd half of the American hardcourt swing. Probably play Toronto or Montreal plus Cincy.

I would rather that he take off the rest of July and begin hitting a few weeks be coming to America.

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
That's very positive and the correct approach to getting ready for the 2nd half of the American hardcourt swing. Probably play Toronto or Montreal plus Cincy.

I would rather that he take off the rest of July and begin hitting a few weeks be coming to America.
He’s had so much success in Canada, I can’t imagine him not going. Cincinnati will probably depend on how well he does in Canada.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to the up coming HC season, Rafa has had a lot of success in Canada, I feel if he does well in Montreal he wont play Cinncy, just my opinion.
Rafa has won both 1000 Masters tournaments before the USO though that was back in 2013.
Rafa has had to withdraw a few times at Cinncy due to injury problems.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa saying goodbye to many employees before to leave, very nice detail

Carol....from what I heard ...........Rafa has done this many years he has played at Wimbledon, to me that shows what a good upbringing he has had from his parents, good manners and respect start in the home.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carol....from what I heard ...........Rafa has done this many years he has played at Wimbledon, to me that shows what a good upbringing he has had from his parents, good manners and respect start in the home.
That is very respectful of him. A word he uses a lot in pressers that I think gets misunderstood, but Carol will understand me, is "education," or "educated." "Estar bien educado," (or what translates directly as "to be well-educated,") in Spanish actually means to be well-mannered. I do believe that he has had a good upbringing, and he is kind enough to appreciate those who are helpful to him and his team along the way. And there's him still carrying his own bag, even though he likely knew he'd be stopping for hugs and photos. He always carries his own racquets.

Reactions: Carol

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa and Murray will retire this year ? I'm not sure on that tbh. I can see both at least playing next year. I get that Rafa has a kid on the way but I doubt he'll stop just yet. Murray definitely wants a better go at Wimbledon and unless Rafa pulls ahead more by winning either the USO or AO then he's still gonna be playing to keep ahead of Djokovic imo.
Well that’s the usual thought but I think Rafa’s gonna retire this year. He said he wouldn’t have a kid and tour, and I think when he won Oz he was satisfied with his career. The baby is due in October so I think winning Oz left him nothing left to do but repeat himself, and so they immediately decided to start a family together. He’s been like a man on a mission since then, playing out of his skin, and in a blazing hurry. We’ll see, but factor in the long term threat to his physical wellbeing caused by the foot, and all signs point to this year being his last…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well that’s the usual thought but I think Rafa’s gonna retire this year. He said he wouldn’t have a kid and tour, and I think when he won Oz he was satisfied with his career. The baby is due in October so I think winning Oz left him nothing left to do but repeat himself, and so they immediately decided to start a family together. He’s been like a man on a mission since then, playing out of his skin, and in a blazing hurry. We’ll see, but factor in the long term threat to his physical wellbeing caused by the foot, and all signs point to this year being his last…
Actually his coach said after receiving the radio frequency on his foot, grass is easier surface for him, then he tried a new service motion on the grass and ended up with an abdominal tear? .........he had the tape on his abs for the whole tournament.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While I don't expect Rafa to wait THAT long, some players have said when the kids are ready to start formal school it’s hard to lug them around the tour events. Otherwise the first couple of years they are pretty much the easiest years to tour with a young one. ( Easiest of course being a relative term)

Also, being he’s based in Europe, there are large swatches of time his child would be based at home, or a short plane trip out. Rafa has been pretty consistent when he would stop playing, when he couldn’t find the motivation every morning to get up and try to improve. Of course every married man will also tell you it’s not totally in his hands. ;)

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa always said he would have children when he retired for starters? I think Mery who is in her 30's decided "I am not going to wait
though I would imagine they both discussed on going ahead having children without Rafa retiring first.
Rafa always keeps his private life private.,he did mentioned after confirming the news to reporters that his life on the tour would not change that he is going to be a father.
Lets face it Roger with 2 sets of twins has always coped well, Murray also has 4 children, he recently said his wife prefers him playing tennis that being at home all the time :)
I think the Amercian HC will give Rafa fans a clearer picture if he decided to retire at the end of this year or continues in 2023 with a reduced schedule.

'

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He’s had so much success in Canada, I can’t imagine him not going. Cincinnati will probably depend on how well he does in Canada.
While it’s not a primary goal, looking at the ranking points with a good HC season he has a decent shot at YE #1.

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
While it’s not a primary goal, looking at the ranking points with a good HC season he has a decent shot at YE #1.
I’ve been thinking the same, since he has nothing to defend in Canada or NYC. Agree, though, that it’s not a primary goal, unlike winning majors. The way I see it, if he regains No. 1 as a kind of side effect of the main goals, that’s great, but if he doesn’t, that’s fine too.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I’ve been thinking the same, since he has nothing to defend in Canada or NYC. Agree, though, that it’s not a primary goal, unlike winning majors. The way I see it, if he regains No. 1 as a kind of side effect of the main goals, that’s great, but if he doesn’t, that’s fine too.
Rafa had so many seasons that ended too early through injury for him to properly compete for YE1 that it would be nice for him to get it again this year. So far, he’s on track…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I dont think Rafa is interested in becoming No 1, it has never been his goal in tennis if it happens it does, he is in the twilight of his career,personally speaking his health is more important than becoming the No 1 player, so he can at least play at a competitive level.Late 2021 and 2022 the amount of injuries Rafa has had to deal with, other players would have retired.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa is currently on vacation with his friends in Fermentera ( on his boat, surprise) whizzing around the water on jet skis.