Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will play his 2Rd match Thursday against R.Berankis, is the 2nd match on CC.
Rafa leads their H2H 1-0, he played Berankis at this year's Melbourne Summer Set and defeated him in straight sets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Francisco Cerundolo congratulated Rafa Nadal on his first rd match, and for all he has achieved in his career.Cerundolo put up a strong challenge against Nadal, who had his first grass court major in 3 years.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another good win by GOATdal. :clap:

2nd round: def. R. Berankis 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 :check-mark:
1st round: def. F. Cerundolo 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 :check-mark:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa said that one of his good friends today had to withdraw because of COVID, Bautista Agut, Rafa said he stays in his house at Wimbledon and does not go out.Rafa's team are wearing masks,I feel is a sensible idea.

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he has a shot, providing he gets through the first week. As you say, his age and Novak are against him. Not easy opponents, either of them - and crucially of course, there’s the field, there’s actually getting through the first week.

The less savvy among us used to slag him off for losing early at Wimbledon a few times, but it became problematical for him to play there so soon after Paris, as he aged. Since the extra week was added between the two GS, he’s been a feature of the second week all three times he’s attended.

The way this season is panning out, he deserved his great Australian Open title in January, but more crucially he defended his patch in Paris.

Pressure is now on Novak to defend his patch in London. Then Rafa hopefully goes to New York, where in the form he’s in, he’d be favourite regardless of who’s playing. New York is a Rafa town, he’s got 4 from the last 8 he’s played. He’ll be going for the record of five this year…
5 wouldn't be a record. 5 consecutive probably will be though for quite some time.

960x960.jpg

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa said that one of his good friends today had to withdraw because of COVID, Bautista Agut, Rafa said he stays in his house at Wimbledon and does not go out.Rafa's team are wearing masks,I feel is a sensible idea.
That's harsh. He was in decent form making the Mallorca final too last week. Berrettini, Cilic and RBA gone and Medvedev, Rublev, Khachanov, Karatsev and Ivashka not allowed play. The tournament is really taking a beating 'cos of the withdrawals and pathetic banning of players from Russia and Belarus.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That's harsh. He was in decent form making the Mallorca final too last week. Berrettini, Cilic and RBA gone and Medvedev, Rublev, Khachanov, Karatsev and Ivashka not allowed play. The tournament is really taking a beating 'cos of the withdrawals and pathetic banning of players from Russia and Belarus.
I cannot believe Wimbledon this year,agree banning of Russian and Belarus players and now players coming down with COVID, it is pathetic, now everytime I wake up I kind of cringe to see who has withdrawn due to COVID.This Wimbledon is a tournament I bet all the players will forget, freezing of points as well.

• Angry
Reactions: Moxie and Front242

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Correct. 5 would TIE th
5 wouldn't be a record. 5 consecutive probably will be though for quite some time.

960x960.jpg
Correct. 5 would tie the record, but yes, 5 consecutive won't fall for some time, I'd bet. Even more so, I think Roger's consecutive weeks at #1for a really long time. At least I hope not, because it's too boring. (I don't mean that as a knock, but it's why I rooted against Roger even before I found Rafa.)

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was gonna bitch, ie that If we had inserted a Rafa pic in the Federer thread, the ranting and teeth gnashing from the Federer fans that it was inappropriately highjacking his thread...

However, alas since the sad fact is most of the Federites have exited this forum in droves and Federer’s own thread has caused nothing but crickets this last year, so I may let it slide this time…

Rafael Nadal Sport GIF by Tennis TV

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ photographs of Roger and Rafa belong in each of their fans’ threads for they go together.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal also admitted that he was close to retirement ' a couple of weeks ago'.As in, after winning a 22nd GS title, 14th Roland Garos.
The radiofrequency treatment was seriously significant.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa's 3 Rd match is the third day match on CC against Italian Sonego on Saturday
This is their first meeting

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Best player he's faced in Wimbledon since Federer 2019 so should be a good one hopefully. Here's a great point from Sonego.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Best player he's faced in Wimbledon since Federer 2019 so should be a good one hopefully. Here's a great point from Sonego.

Now, Front...while I agree with @Jelenafan that since there basically aren't even any other Federer fans around these days, we can give you some dispensation on the Rafa Fans thread. (It IS really good to have you around.) However, I'm not going to let you get away completely with the bolded above. The last time Nadal even played Wimbledon was in 2019, when he lost to Federer. Therefore, he's only faced 1st and 2nd round competition here, this year, since then. So, kinda...duh. You just shoe-horned Roger and that loss in, rather gratuitously. I'm not chastising, per se, but I couldn't let it go unnoticed. ;)

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now, Front...while I agree with @Jelenafan that since there basically aren't even any other Federer fans around these days, we can give you some dispensation on the Rafa Fans thread. (It IS really good to have you around.) However, I'm not going to let you get away completely with the bolded above. The last time Nadal even played Wimbledon was in 2019, when he lost to Federer. Therefore, he's only faced 1st and 2nd round competition here, this year, since then. So, kinda...duh. You just shoe-horned Roger and that loss in, rather gratuitously. I'm not chastising, per se, but I couldn't let it go unnoticed. ;)
Again patience is needed for Methuselah’s fans, they must see the current tennis scene….

1656744859781.gif

1656745488216.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tented and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Y'all saw ole Fronty tried to slip one past the Nadalites.. great catch Moxie and JF..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa being exceptionally COVID- cautious.Often wearing a mask, even sometimes, requesting his team not to eat out.If nothing else suggests how serious he is about giving himself ever possible chance to win at Wimbledon this year.
Also I saw Rafa giving fans giving autographs wearing a mask after his practice session before his match against Sonego

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Honestly, that wasn't the intention at all but simply stating he was a better opponent than anyone else he's faced since then on grass which is true unless you seriously think his first 2 opponents here are better on grass than Federer. Sonego didn't put up much of a fight in the end....thankfully as I'd originally considered backing him to win a set or outcome of match > 3.5 sets but in the end I changed my mind and decided on under 35.5 games for that match along with > 22.5 games for Badosa v Kvitova as a double so a good day here and all my bets won including Botic van de Zandschulp to beat Gasquet as a single.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Honestly, that wasn't the intention at all but simply stating he was a better opponent than anyone else he's faced since then on grass which is true unless you seriously think his first 2 opponents here are better on grass than Federer. Sonego didn't put up much of a fight in the end....thankfully as I'd originally considered backing him to win a set or outcome of match > 3.5 sets but in the end I changed my mind and decided on under 35.5 games for that match along with > 22.5 games for Badosa v Kvitova as a double so a good day here and all my bets won including Botic van de Zandschulp to beat Gasquet as a single.
I didn't really think that was your intention, but it was a funny thing to say, particularly for a Fed fan...who actually out there is a tougher opponent on grass than Roger or Novak?? The source of my "duh." I just had to give you shit. I'm sure Sonego would have put more of a fight had he been allowed to. Rafa sharpened his game, and his serve, knowing he needed to. As to the rest of your post, I'm sure it was in English, but I understood none of it. Still, I'm glad if you made some money. :)

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Front242

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice scoreline today. :clap:

3rd round: def. [27] L. Sonego 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 :check-mark:
2nd round: def. R. Berankis 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 :check-mark:
1st round: def. F. Cerundolo 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 :check-mark: