Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I did post this news before regarding Rafa playing a exhibition match against Del Potro in November
Rafa is now going to do a tour of Latin America,in November, Argentina,Brazil, Ecuador,Mexico and Columbia, exhibition matches,from what I am reading they will mainly be with Del Potro.I post more details and dates when they are clearer.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What are your thoughts on Nadal's chances at SW19?

I think Rafa will win the title for two reasons. He doesn't have the pressure of RG and is not the favorite. He has #22 and he knows that he HAS to open his shoulders to win this title on grass, no other style of play for a 37 years old ATP tennis player to defeat Novak and the next and future Gen top players

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
What are your thoughts on Nadal's chances at SW19?

I think Rafa will win the title for two reasons. He doesn't have the pressure of RG and is not the favorite. He has #22 and he HAS to open his shoulders to win this title on grass, no other style of play for a 37 years old ATP tennis player to defeat Novak and the next and future Gen top players
I think he has a shot, providing he gets through the first week. As you say, his age and Novak are against him. Not easy opponents, either of them - and crucially of course, there’s the field, there’s actually getting through the first week.

The less savvy among us used to slag him off for losing early at Wimbledon a few times, but it became problematical for him to play there so soon after Paris, as he aged. Since the extra week was added between the two GS, he’s been a feature of the second week all three times he’s attended.

The way this season is panning out, he deserved his great Australian Open title in January, but more crucially he defended his patch in Paris.

Pressure is now on Novak to defend his patch in London. Then Rafa hopefully goes to New York, where in the form he’s in, he’d be favourite regardless of who’s playing. New York is a Rafa town, he’s got 4 from the last 8 he’s played. He’ll be going for the record of five this year…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he has a shot, providing he gets through the first week. As you say, his age and Novak are against him. Not easy opponents, either of them - and crucially of course, there’s the field, there’s actually getting through the first week.

The less savvy among us used to slag him off for losing early at Wimbledon a few times, but it became problematical for him to play there so soon after Paris, as he aged. Since the extra week was added between the two GS, he’s been a feature of the second week all three times he’s attended.

The way this season is panning out, he deserved his great Australian Open title in January, but more crucially he defended his patch in Paris.

Pressure is now on Novak to defend his patch in London. Then Rafa hopefully goes to New York, where in the form he’s in, he’d be favourite regardless of who’s playing. New York is a Rafa town, he’s got 4 from the last 8 he’s played. He’ll be going for the record of five this year…
Agree, if Rafa can get through the first week, he can be dangerous, he has a few missiles to get through in the first week

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The biggest question I have for Rafa is how quickly he can adapt to the grass, one thing that is not in his favor is the low bouncing balls, also the grass can be very quick in the 1st week.I am glad that they allowed players to practice on the CC and court 1, the grass can be slippery as we have seen in past Wimbledon's eg last year Serena slipped and did her achilles and had to retire in her first match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa said he was enjoying the fact to play on grass after such a long time."Always a challenge, the transition" Rafa said.
"Yeah, is a daily work and that's what I am doing".
Rafa will play his first match on Tuesday, at Wimbledon, against Argentine Francisco Cerundolo.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moya who is absent at Wimbledon this year was asked,

Q Can Rafa win Wimbledon?

Moya "He's Rafa Nadal.You can't rule him out.He's won 2/2 GS this season.Let's see what happens.The treatment of the foot has been positive.,it looks like it is working well so far, and at least in theory, grass isn't the worst surface for his foot.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Moya who is absent at Wimbledon this year was asked,

Q Can Rafa win Wimbledon?

Moya "He's Rafa Nadal.You can't rule him out.He's won 2/2 GS this season.Let's see what happens.The treatment of the foot has been positive.,it looks like it is working well so far, and at least in theory, grass isn't the worst surface for his foot.
Great point, no? It has to be better than returning to HCs after this treatment.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa's first match on Tuesday against Franciso Cerundolo will be the 2nd day match on CC.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa's first match on Tuesday against Franciso Cerundolo will be the 2nd day match on CC.
I would have said that Cerundolo should be a walk in the park until he has suddenly had good results on grass. I'm not worried, but I wouldn't have minded him staying a classic Argentine dirt baller. :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I would have said that Cerundolo should be a walk in the park until he has suddenly had good results on grass. I'm not worried, but I wouldn't have minded him staying a classic Argentine dirt baller. :)
Hang on didnt you say just because a Spanish player and or I can include an Argentine player can only be known as a 'dirt player'? and can play on grass:) I dont think he will give Rafa too much trouble.Anyway he does have one of his missiles gone from his draw, thankful for small mercies:)

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hang on didnt you say just because a Spanish player and or I can include an Argentine player can only be known as a 'dirt player'? and can play on grass:) I dont think he will give Rafa too much trouble.Anyway he does have one of his missiles gone from his draw, thankful for small mercies:)
i don't think I've ever said any such thing. Didn't I just say that Foki is misread as a clay player, or Alcaraz? I am specifically talking about Cerundolo, and I will take credit for calling him out early doors. (Then there is his brother, too, so I'm not sure which I thought was the better.) What I'm saying is that he has been having a very good run on grass, which is surprising, given that his entire career until now was, in fact, on clay. Así que "ojo", Rafa!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I also love that he says that it bothers him a little bit that they've never gotten to play at USO. He doesn't generally speak of regrets.
Well I think that ship has sailed seeing Roger v Rafa playing one another at the USO

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well I think that ship has sailed seeing Roger v Rafa playing one another at the USO
Even if they manage one, it will be nothing more than a nostalgia-fest. Really astonishing that they never managed to coincide there.