Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just to say, here in the fan-zone, after Rafa looked to have the tougher half of the draw, now, on Day 2, the biggest threats we were worrying about, Cilic, Berrettini and FAA are all out, due to Covid and upset. Not like I'm getting complacent or anything, after the Cerundolo match, but like everyone says, the draw is only on paper. But no one saw this coming, nor so soon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just to say, here in the fan-zone, after Rafa looked to have the tougher half of the draw, now, on Day 2, the biggest threats we were worrying about, Cilic, Berrettini and FAA are all out, due to Covid and upset. Not like I'm getting complacent or anything, after the Cerundolo match, but like everyone says, the draw is only on paper. But no one saw this coming, nor so soon.
I said the draw is on paper when everyone was having a break down on his draw? same thing happened at RG as well and looked what happened lol!

Reactions: TheSicilian

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I said the draw is on paper when everyone was having a break down on his draw? same thing happened at RG as well and looked what happened lol!
Oh, yes, and we all know it's theoretical, but I'm just saying this early decimation/change of fortunes is pretty surprising. And at Roland Garros, Rafa still had to beat Novak, which may as well have been the final. The only really big change was that Alcaraz got dumped out.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh, yes, and we all know it's theoretical, but I'm just saying this early decimation/change of fortunes is pretty surprising. And at Roland Garros, Rafa still had to beat Novak, which may as well have been the final. The only really big change was that Alcaraz got dumped out.
Lets see if Novak makes the final or Rafa for that matter, though I take your point

Reactions: Moxie

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Solid win by Rafa today as his opponent was playing some great tennis. But Rafa as usual fought so well and managed to get the win. :clap:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great point, no? It has to be better than returning to HCs after this treatment.

While I always understood that grass was hard on Rafa's knees , in part because of the compensating for the foot condition per insoles in the shoes, the low bouncing balls, etc, I always wondered how it could they be any worse on his knees than the pounding of an unforgiving surface like hard courts. As a runner in my younger days, it was preferable to run or grass or dirt over concrete or asphalt.

When he had that streak of early round losses at Wimbledon for five years, (2012-2016) the detractors like to point out that Rafa was done on grass, that his game and body couldn't sustain it. Yet again, once Moya came on board Rafa tweaked his game (serve placement, more aggressive on rallies) so he had 2 SF's on grass his last two W's. I'm guessing it was more his strategy on W that was wrong, couldn't simply rely on raw blazing speed to retrieve every ball as in his younger days, and once he adjusted he did much better.

So if this last foot procedure works, I would agree that grass overall is more forgiving on Rafa's body than the hard courts. That's not to say it's his best surface per his natural game, but maybe the old chestnut that grass is inherently harder on his body could be laid to rest.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While I always understood that grass was hard on Rafa's knees , in part because of the compensating for the foot condition per insoles in the shoes, the low bouncing balls, etc, I always wondered how it could they be any worse on his knees than the pounding of an unforgiving surface like hard courts. As a runner in my younger days, it was preferable to run or grass or dirt over concrete or asphalt.

When he had that streak of early round losses at Wimbledon for five years, (2012-2016) the detractors like to point out that Rafa was done on grass, that his game and body couldn't sustain it. Yet again, once Moya came on board Rafa tweaked his game (serve placement, more aggressive on rallies) so he had 2 SF's on grass his last two W's. I'm guessing it was more his strategy on W that was wrong, couldn't simply rely on raw blazing speed to retrieve every ball as in his younger days, and once he adjusted he did much better.

So if this last foot procedure works, I would agree that grass overall is more forgiving on Rafa's body than the hard courts. That's not to say it's his best surface per his natural game, but maybe the old chestnut that grass is inherently harder on his body could be laid to rest.
I don't think anyone would say that grass is harder on the body. I'm also a runner, and natural surfaces are better. I think the point specific to Nadal and his knees is the low-bounce, as you rightly point out. He is asked to crouch lower on grass. Then there is the issue of slipping, which should be alleviated in a few days when the grass is less slippery. I do agree that overall HC should be worse for his foot and his knees.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Solid win by Rafa today as his opponent was playing some great tennis. But Rafa as usual fought so well and managed to get the win. :clap:
Agreed! Even Rafa appeared flummoxed out there for a while, with Cerundolo's heavy shots, terrific game, and determined attitude. When he got back to himself again, though, Cerundolo had finally had enough. But the kid from Argentina, (23, but really coming into his own this year) acquitted himself very well on CC at Wimbledon, playing Rafa for the first time. Chapeau. The crowd gave him a much-deserved standing-O at the end.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think anyone would say that grass is harder on the body. I'm also a runner, and natural surfaces are better. I think the point specific to Nadal and his knees is the low-bounce, as you rightly point out. He is asked to crouch lower on grass. Then there is the issue of slipping, which should be alleviated in a few days when the grass is less slippery. I do agree that overall HC should be worse for his foot and his knees.
I am also a runner and I run on the road and have never had a problem and I am well into my 60's must be the good genes or something:) Rafa and the low bounce on grass has always been a problem, though some of the courts the bounce today was high, weird...... Moya was correct in his views with Rafa and his new treatment

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have done Rafa's adjusted draw for the time being after some of his opponents either withdrew or were defeated

R3 Berankis
R4 Van de Zandschulp
QF Fritz
SF Tsitsipas/Kyrgios
Final Djokovic
Thanks for redoing this. Van de Zanschulp is also a player on the rise, and really tall, I think. Fritz capped Rafa at IW, was it? Neither Tsitsipas nor Kyrgios is any walk in the park. Far from out of the woods.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for redoing this. Van de Zanschulp is also a player on the rise, and really tall, I think. Fritz capped Rafa at IW, was it? Neither Tsitsipas nor Kyrgios is any walk in the park. Far from out of the woods.
I think Rafa being well would have beaten Fritz at IW....Van is a tall player with a good serve...I would prefer Rafa to play The Young Greek than Nick K

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Rafa being well would have beaten Fritz at IW....Van is a tall player with a good serve...I would prefer Rafa to play The Young Greek than Nick K
Yeah, I agree about Fritz, but he's good on grass, and has that win. Worth mentioning. Also agree about Tsitsipas. He's a Manila Folder. Nick, if he makes it that far, is unpredictable and gets up for the big matches. And he has beaten Rafa at Wimbledon.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's the cooler conditions that really may be what affects his movement. The hot humid conditions at the US Open really keeps his body loose and flexible..I think SW19 conditions are far more chiller and harder on the injured parts of Rafa's beat old body. His back and joints get stiff and it takes a long time to stay loose. IMO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Starting at 6:00 Rafa was asked about Covid rules and he explains what the rules are as he understands them...

Rafa has always been savvy knowing the rules when it comes to COVID...I hope the tournament officials at Wimbledon, are now going to review the COVID restrictions at Wimbledon, seeing Cilic and Berrettini have both come down with COVID in the past days

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's the cooler conditions that really may be what affects his movement. The hot humid conditions at the US Open really keeps his body loose and flexible..I think SW19 conditions are far more chiller and harder on the injured parts of Rafa's beat old body. His back and joints get stiff and it takes a long time to stay loose. IMO
Sounds like me, I have just come back from a run on the road, though I get sports massages on a regular basis, agree the cooler conditions affect me the most I am 30 years plus than Rafa.:)

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa Nadal is now the 4th highest ever in Grand Slams wins alongside Martina Navratilova with 306 wins

I just don't get the recent stats in the media mixing both men & women... For example "Nadal equals Graf" and as if he's also trying to reach Serena and Court. :facepalm:

First of all Nadal is much greater than Graf who has a very inflated record due to the Seles stabbing. But most importantly men's tennis and women's tennis are different sports and their stats should be separate...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just don't get the recent stats in the media mixing both men & women... For example "Nadal equals Graf" and as if he's also trying to reach Serena and Court. :facepalm:

First of all Nadal is much greater than Graf who has a very inflated record due to the Seles stabbing. But most importantly men's tennis and women's tennis are different sports and their stats should be separate...
Well at present they include both the men and the women, I take your point, mens and tennis are different, agree should be separate