Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe he will go later, I wouldn't be surprised
I’d be very surprised. Rafa played two semi finals in his last visits to Wimbledon - against his biggest rivals, no less! - and Carlos didn’t think it important enough to be there. Yes of course, his family is his priority, but he’s not neglecting his family on a Dickensian scale if he flies them all into London for a Wimbledon freebie - or if he lets them know he’s busy for a few hours…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I’d be very surprised. Rafa played two semi finals in his last visits to Wimbledon - against his biggest rivals, no less! - and Carlos didn’t think it important enough to be there. Yes of course, his family is his priority, but he’s not neglecting his family on a Dickensian scale if he flies them all into London for a Wimbledon freebie - or if he lets them know he’s busy for a few hours…
Most clay court players are reluctant to make the changes to their games to be a good grass court player.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When Carlos Moya took over as coach for Milo’s Raonic in early 2016 Milos enjoyed his best year ever, reaching a career high #3 in the rankings and making the SF’s of the AO and made his one and only W final, upsetting Federer in the SF’s.

By year end he joined Rafa’s coaching team. It was obvious the Uncle Toni /Rafa tandem had run it’s course. 2015/16 was the low mark of his career.

Since then Rafa has won 8 Majors ( after a 2 Slamless years) , and I challenge anyone to dispute Moya played a key role helping revamp and reignite Rafa’s game.

With results like these, I don’t give a rat’s ass if Moya takes off the entire fortnight as long as Rafa is ready & prepared.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
When Carlos Moya took over as coach for Milo’s Raonic in early 2016 Milos enjoyed his best year ever, reaching a career high #3 in the rankings and making the SF’s of the AO and made his one and only W final, upsetting Federer in the SF’s.

By year end he joined Rafa’s coaching team. It was obvious the Uncle Toni /Rafa tandem had run it’s course. 2015/16 was the low mark of his career.

Since then Rafa has won 8 Majors ( after a 2 Slamless years) , and I challenge anyone to dispute Moya played a key role helping revamp and reignite Rafa’s game.

With results like these, I don’t give a rat’s ass if Moya takes off the entire fortnight as long as Rafa is ready & prepared.
Well now, when Toni left the team Rafa won 6 slams, and more importantly, was already “Rafa.”

Sure, moya contributed something. Not sure what. But the question is about when he’s not contributing. It’s not just a matter of taking “off the entire fortnight”, as if that’s a mere detail. Having a coach on site when you’re facing your biggest rivals on the biggest stage is important. When Rafa went in overnight a set down to Novak, do we really believe that his head coach couldn’t have helped?

Probably he couldn’t, and that’s why Rafa doesn’t mind him skipping slams. Rafa probably feels he’s learned enough from Toni and the other coaches have their roles but the main work is already done, and anyway, he’s long enough in the tooth to be able to figure things out himself. Maybe. But I find it farcical that Moya absents himself from slams this way…

Reactions: TheSicilian

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe because at this time Moya's kids are in summer vacations and he wants to be with them everyday but he didn't travel too much this year so I agree that he should be with Rafa en WB because until the HC season he has plenty time to be with his kids .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am sorry I brought this up again lol!...talk about opening a can or worms again:)......Moya not showing up at Wimbledon again.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will practice against Kamil Majchrzak at Aorangi Park today....a player I have never heard of.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe because at this time Moya's kids are in summer vacations and he wants to be with them everyday but he didn't travel too much this year so I agree that he should be with Rafa en WB because until the HC season he has plenty time to be with his kids .
OF course I would prefer Moya to be there, but if Nadal is comfortable enough with him not being there I'm not going to make a huge deal out of it. I doubt Carlos can't zoom or email or call from whatever he's at every day, morning, afternoon or night. It's called technology. The thing about Nadal; the rest of his team, especially Roig, have been with him for, what 15+ years, he probably has the least rotating coaching entourage of anyone out there. The stability of his team and their established (no doubt) game plan for W makes such a move possible.

ETA: Roig has been with him since 2005 and he said this in an interview regards coaching Nadal.

And the biggest challenge you have faced as his coach?
I have always tried to instill in him that I like tennis moving forwards. I noticed it when we used to train. I would make him do it a little more than he liked. He would argue with what I wanted, but that’s good, and it sounded crazy to him. And when he beat Medvedev it was one of his most important weapons. I’ve told him that the next step is to serve and immediately approach the net. In general, when I’ve been with him at tournaments, I’ve tried to make him see that he has to go forward more. He hasn’t always agreed. Not because he didn’t believe it, because maybe he wanted to keep the feeling of not making mistakes. With time, he’s done it and it’s a significant change. Rafa is a person who, if he decides to do something new, he can achieve it.

Personally if he wins without Moya there it would be soo cool, but of course if he loses the second guessing begins, (though what does that say about all the players who have their coaches there and still lose...LOL)

Now IF he was allowed to play Wimbledon, Medvedev's poor coach I would certainly couldn't blame him if he skipped attending live with the Russian madman... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I really cannot see Moya flying over to Wimbledon this year, even if Rafa makes the 2nd week. Moya was with Rafa when he was training back on the grass at Mallorca before Rafa decided to come to Wimbledon this year.I personally feel Rafa is okay with Moya's decision,even though some of his fans are not., like Kieren and Tented when this was brought up before a few years ago.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I really cannot see Moya flying over to Wimbledon this year, even if Rafa makes the 2nd week. Moya was with Rafa when he was training back on the grass at Mallorca before Rafa decided to come to Wimbledon this year.I personally feel Rafa is okay with Moya's decision,even though some of his fans are not., like Kieren and Tented when this was brought up before a few years ago.
Yeah, ultimately if Rafa is OK with it, then we should be too, however I can’t shake the feeling it would be better to look up at your box and see your entire team when playing at Wimbledon. But I haven’t won 22 majors either.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, ultimately if Rafa is OK with it, then we should be too, however I can’t shake the feeling it would be better to look up at your box and see your entire team when playing at Wimbledon. But I haven’t won 22 majors either.
I am not happy with Moya not being at Slams full stop, there is plenty of time to take time off on the tour.,if need be, seeing he has a young family and his wife works, still when you sign up to be a coach on the tour, you must be available to attend, the most important part of the tour, the Grand Slams, just my thoughts.

Reactions: Kieran and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Francis Roig in a interview he did for Marca today after Rafa's practice this morning with Majchrzak,

"Nadal's physically okay, but we have to go slowly so that he adjusts to the grass".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa's practice sessions to date have not been that great, lost to Dimitrov and Majchrzak,as Roig said earlier, physically he is okay,adjusting to the grass is the key at the present time.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa's practice sessions to date have not been that great, lost to Dimitrov and Majchrzak,as Roig said earlier, physically he is okay,adjusting to the grass is the key at the present time.

He also lost his exhibitions before the AO so this is a great sign. :yes:

• Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan