Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is the part of me that wants the CYGS. Why not? He's never started the year with AO and RG in his pocket, right?
One thing I am sure of: The expectations from Nadal on the 2nd half of the year is totally different than the 1st half of the year.

Djokovic has ALL the pressure to win Wimbledon especially if he wants to catch Nadal in the slam titles.

Medvedev/Alcaraz/FAA/Tsitsipas have ALL something to prove especially on Summer HCs.

For Nadal, as long his foot holds up, he will just play a couple of matches before a slam, then he is geared to play well during the slam.

As a Nadal fan, I can truly enjoyed watching tennis now knowing that Nadal won AO and RG this year!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing I am sure of: The expectations from Nadal on the 2nd half of the year is totally different than the 1st half of the year.

Djokovic has ALL the pressure to win Wimbledon especially if he wants to catch Nadal in the slam titles.

Medvedev/Alcaraz/FAA/Tsitsipas have ALL something to prove especially on Summer HCs.

For Nadal, as long his foot holds up, he will just play a couple of matches before a slam, then he is geared to play well during the slam.

As a Nadal fan, I can truly enjoyed watching tennis now knowing that Nadal won AO and RG this year!
RG was just icing on the cake, to win AO was just outstanding.....something I thought he would never be able to do again,

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Totally agreed. Believe me, I'm not such a delusional Nadal fan that I think the CYGS is really an option. And the Channel Slam is a big ask for younger and fitter players, much less and oldster with a bad foot and dodgy knees (lest we forget.) If I'm totally honest, I thought #14 at RG this year was a big ask, esp. after seeing the draw. Don't think less of me. ;) I'm actually a bit on the fence as to whether he should skip the grass altogether and focus on the NA HC swing, as he has done so well at the USO. And a rest is due. There's an argument that the rest of the season is gravy. And as you rightly say, pressure on Djokovic to fulfill his favored status at Wimbledon and keep himself in the hunt in the Slam count. Especially as he doesn't know if he'll be excluded from the USO and/or the AO next year.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Totally agreed. Believe me, I'm not such a delusional Nadal fan that I think the CYGS is really an option. And the Channel Slam is a big ask for younger and fitter players, much less and oldster with a bad foot and dodgy knees (lest we forget.) If I'm totally honest, I thought #14 at RG this year was a big ask, esp. after seeing the draw. Don't think less of me. ;) I'm actually a bit on the fence as to whether he should skip the grass altogether and focus on the NA HC swing, as he has done so well at the USO. And a rest is due. There's an argument that the rest of the season is gravy. And as you rightly say, pressure on Djokovic to fulfill his favored status at Wimbledon and keep himself in the hunt in the Slam count. Especially as he doesn't know if he'll be excluded from the USO and/or the AO next year.
First, I am kinda with you about Nadal missing Grass to take a rest and just focus on NA HC swing. What is interesting about the US Open is that Nadal is that he can easily be the number 2 seed.

Zverev is out with an injury so who knows how long is he is out.

Djokovic more than likely will not able to play NA HC swing due to vaccination status.

Then, Alcaraz/Ruud/Tsitsipas will be in tough battles to get position themselves to be seeded number 2 at the US Open.

Finally, Nadal is only defending 545 points in the NA HC swing. So, if he can somehow reach Canada SF, he will only lose 185 points before the US Open. That certainly will be enough to be the number 2 seed at US Open.

The second point: IF Djokovic does not win Wimbledon this year AND he is not able to play US Open and 2023 AO, I do not think he will surpass Nadal in the slam count. Basically, if he is at 20 slams by 2023 Roland Garros, he will not win more than 3 slams at age 36 and above to surpass Nadal.

Reactions: tented

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
NEVER good to skip a slam if he is healthy because there's no guarantee that he will be healthy in late August. He has 3weeks to rest for SW19..he has a court in Mallorca. Afterwards Wimbledon he can take 5weeks to recover and prep for the USO.

Reactions: Moxie

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafael Nadal in 2022 so far:

He has beaten Medvedev (2x), Djokovic, Zverev, Ruud, Alcaraz (although he was not at Top 10 player), FAA, Berrettini (when Matteo was Top 10), Norrie (he was close to being in the Top 10).

Basically, he has won 9 times to players who have been in the Top 10 at some point this season.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Rafa's treatment on his foot works and I know how much he loves Wimbledon I would personally like to see Rafa play there.
I am still being cautious though, if not wait for the HC season Canada and the USO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to GOATdal! Only was able to see the first half. I can’t wait to watch the replay tonight! What an amazing win! 22 slams!!! And 14 FO!!! INSANE! :clap::dance2::partying-face::pompoms::dance1::dance3::cheerleader::yesyes:
Rafa has to try another treatment on his foot,he has been playing with injections all RG tournament, if the new treatment does not work he wont be playing Wimbledon.I have posted what the new treatment is, it is a few posts above on this page

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congratulations to GOATdal! Only was able to see the first half. I can’t wait to watch the replay tonight! What an amazing win! 22 slams!!! And 14 FO!!! INSANE! :clap::dance2::partying-face::pompoms::dance1::dance3::cheerleader::yesyes:
14 Roland Garros titles is actually insane. Enjoy the replay.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It has to be said, this 2022 French Open was the greatest PR/marketing pitch for the Rafa Nadal Tennis academy. Not only was the womens champ a product of the Academy, ( and the biggest Rafa booster of all time) but the way Casper glowingly said both the Academy and Rafa personally took him and his family under their wing. Plus it doesn’t hurt that both Iga and Casper seemed to be consummate professional, non -diva dish and well mannered ( other than Ruud harassing a defenseless Danish teenager) and great ambassadors for the sport, just like their mentor Rafa.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GOATdal now has as many RG as Sampras has career slams! :clap:

He also has as many slams as Laver and Borg combined, as well as the double amount of each! :dance3:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GOATdal now has as many RG as Sampras has career slams! :clap:

He also has as many slams as Laver and Borg combined, as well as the double amount of each! :dance3:
My hubby a big Sampras fan was not happy with me when I told him Rafa has as many GS titles at RG as Sampras had in his whole career lol!

• Haha
Reactions: Nadalfan2013