Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have been holding back.. but this board had anointed Carlos as the chosen One or I made the poor statement by calling him Baby Rafa. Carlos is gonna be a great champion and will win numerous titles hopefully GSs but he is no Nadal. Carlos thinks he can hit through anyone which is how most youngsters think. He will eventually figure it out from what he learned from loosing to Sascha. I really was very impressed with Felix. I think he knows how to make it to the 2nd week of a slam and try to advance further.(I'm gonna be honest, Felix had no business loosing to Senor Matteo at Wimbledon last year because FAA has a much better game than him at this point in their careers.)..Just my opinion.
As I have said before these youngsters improve at their own pace, FAA has soo much upside in his game,he has improved on the clay, thanks to Toni I feel, still to me grass at present suits him to a tee, he has shown he can go 5 sets with players, just a matter of time he breaks through.Alcaraz came out of the blocks with speed, he was even a favorite to win RG this year, winning RG takes a different animal and Alcaraz does have the game to one day win RG, no doubt, losing to Sasha, as you said, he will take the lesson and learn.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa holds the record for defeating the world's number one ranked players on the ATP tour. The victory over Novak makes it #23. That's astonishing!

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Question, What will it take for Rafa to return to RG 2023? Another RG title combined with a Wimbledon or USO title? Will it take some type of medical procedure miracle to his foot to prolong his career? What will it take to continue the fight?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Question, What will it take for Rafa to return to RG 2023? Another RG title combined with a Wimbledon or USO title? Will it take some type of medical procedure miracle to his foot to prolong his career? What will it take to continue the fight?

Rafa Nadal quote:
“When I wake up without motivation to improve, that will be the end. But until that day arrives, I’m here and enjoying it.”

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal quote:
“When I wake up without motivation to improve, that will be the end. But until that day arrives, I’m here and enjoying it.”
Here's hoping that he wakes up everyday with happy time with wifey and a cup of java for the next two years.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Roig has come out at RG the other day and answered some questions that this might be Nadal's last RG, because of his foot issues.
Roig said the team and his doctor who is with him at RG this year, are always looking at new treatments regarding the foot.
Remember Rafa has had this problem ever since he was a teenager, an on going issue,with pain management and foot treatments over the years.

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roig has come out at RG the other day and answered some questions that this might be Nadal's last RG, because of his foot issues.
Roig said the team and his doctor who is with him at RG this year, are always looking at new treatments regarding the foot.
I would not be surprised if 2022 is is his last year on the tour. To be honest, I am ready for him to retire because I want him to enjoy life outside of tennis. Of course, I still want him to win RG 2022, but after this tournament, I will not be surprised on any decision he makes with his team.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I would not be surprised if 2022 is is his last year on the tour. To be honest, I am ready for him to retire because I want him to enjoy life outside of tennis. Of course, I still want him to win RG 2022, but after this tournament, I will not be surprised on any decision he makes with his team.
We shall see, I also agree with you, I also want him to enjoy life, as Rafa said previously at times he could not enjoy life outside tennis.I will be sad it he does retire this year,I have followed Rafa since he came on the tour, he is like a son to me :) I will have to accept it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is from Moya and his thoughts so far regarding Rafa,

"Everytime Rafa has struggled he's responded.I have a lot of faith in him.I value his game.When he gets to this tournament something just clicks.Clearly it's been the oddest clay season, most of the time when Rafa arrives in Paris, with titles, this year has been more like 2020.We are very happy there are two matches left hopefully, the feeling is good,while respecting our opponents".

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
We shall see, I also agree with you, I also want him to enjoy life, as Rafa said previously at times he could not enjoy life outside tennis.I will be sad it he does retire this year,I have followed Rafa since he came on the tour, he is like a son to me :) I will have to accept it.
Get to #25 and then enjoy his life in peace

• Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The difference I think for Rafa fans and, say, Federer fans, is that Federer fans (*some* of them at least) thought he was entitled to all the records and assumed Federer would end up on top. (Majors titles, weeks at #1, etc, etc). To some extent Novak fans have the same expectations for Novak.

In contrast, Rafa has been riddled with major injuries throughout his career; Pundits and fans have been announcing his demise for at least 15 years, and yes, 4 times in his career when he reached a Major final (2008 W, 2011 USO, 2012 AO, 2013 USO) he was not even able to play that Major the next year due to injuries, 2 of those times he was even the defending champ. :confused: So Rafa fans have the scar tissue of so many breaks in his career/ momentum with those injuries... Therefore IMO the expectations of Rafa fans were always somewhat different, of course we wanted him to do well but in my wildest dreams I did not think he was going to end up having the most longevity of all the Open Major winners, which technically he has. (Largest span of years between first and last Major won, most consecutive weeks top 10, etc,).

To me, whether he ended up with the most Majors wasn't really the most realistic goal to have. So if he retires win or lose Sunday, I'm good. If Novak passes him in Major titles so be it. It's not the wrist slashing like some Federer fans seem to have experienced.

Having said that, Rafa is quoted that while he has the motivation and the foot pain is manageable he wants to continue to play. Just this Roland Garros, he said the support of the crowd (which has not always been there) during the Novak match was something special for him. He lives for these moments, it's worth it for him to come back from yet another rehab so I'm good as long as he's good.

In a perfect world he would retire after the 2024 Summer Olympics at Roland Garros. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Get to #25 and then enjoy his life in peace
Rafa has just come out and said he has no plans of retiring after Roland Garos, in a interview before his s/final.
Quite frankly I think Rafa is So Over talking about his foot and also being compared to Alcaraz.
Rafa will know when it is time to retire, not his fans and that also includes the media'
Some of the comments from Rafa fans recently here, has left me laughing out loud quite frankly.:) or so called Rafa fans who have just jumped on the band wagon.

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa has just come out and said he has no plans of retiring after Roland Garos, in a interview before his s/final.
Quite frankly I think Rafa is So Over talking about his foot and also being compared to Alcaraz.
Rafa will know when it is time to retire, not his fans and that also includes the media'
Some of the comments from Rafa fans recently here, has left me laughing out loud quite frankly.:) or so called Rafa fans who have just jumped on the band wagon.
You are not talking about me, right?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
That was needed.. This means I can make my plans to work remotely next year from Monte Carlo and South France. (I wish jajajaj) Thanks Miss Margaret

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay here is Rafa talking to Eurosport,

Nadal has rowed back on suggestions that this could be his last year competing at the French Open.However, Nadal has clarified that he expects to play the French Open next year.
"I am confident and I trust I can return to Roland Garos" said Nadal
"I accept things as they come, I have no intention of making a farewell"
"We keep working to find a solution to my foot injury.My intention is to return to Roland Garos next year".