Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The difference I think for Rafa fans and, say, Federer fans, is that Federer fans (*some* of them at least) thought he was entitled to all the records and assumed Federer would end up on top. (Majors titles, weeks at #1, etc, etc). To some extent Novak fans have the same expectations for Novak.

In contrast, Rafa has been riddled with major injuries throughout his career; Pundits and fans have been announcing his demise for at least 15 years, and yes, 4 times in his career when he reached a Major final (2008 W, 2011 USO, 2012 AO, 2013 USO) he was not even able to play that Major the next year due to injuries, 2 of those times he was even the defending champ. :confused: So Rafa fans have the scar tissue of so many breaks in his career/ momentum with those injuries... Therefore IMO the expectations of Rafa fans were always somewhat different, of course we wanted him to do well but in my wildest dreams I did not think he was going to end up having the most longevity of all the Open Major winners, which technically he has. (Largest span of years between first and last Major won, most consecutive weeks top 10, etc,).

To me, whether he ended up with the most Majors wasn't really the most realistic goal to have. So if he retires win or lose Sunday, I'm good. If Novak passes him in Major titles so be it. It's not the wrist slashing like some Federer fans seem to have experienced.

Having said that, Rafa is quoted that while he has the motivation and the foot pain is manageable he wants to continue to play. Just this Roland Garros, he said the support of the crowd (which has not always been there) during the Novak match was something special for him. He lives for these moments, it's worth it for him to come back from yet another rehab so I'm good as long as he's good.

In a perfect world he would retire after the 2024 Summer Olympics at Roland Garros. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
To me, this is a great summation of a Rafa fan's attitude to it all. So much has been bonus, given the injuries and lay-offs.

As @rafanoy1992 said, I believe, on this thread or the QF or SF one, it's too soon to be sure about tomorrow or Sunday. When Rafa beat Novak in the SF in 2013, with Ferrer awaiting, it was hard not to consider it a done deal. And it is not, now. But, has been said many times over the past 13 years or so, Rafa's greatest opponent at this point is his own body. If it holds up, he can will himself past Zverev and the winner of Rune/Cilic. Cautiously optimistic if the feets don't fail him now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So, Ruud it will be. I honestly think Cilic would have been easier to cap. As much as I hate to see how that match ended, I was not sorry to see Rafa get off the court, and of course, get into the final. Conditions were just brutal. Zverev is 10 years younger and he was clearly feeling them. I very much believe that Rafa also had an emotional dip after beating Novak. I think Ruud with be a challenge. Hoping to see Rafa come out on Sunday with much more zip and fizz than we saw today. If so, Ruud doesn't stand a chance. If not, it will be long and stressful, but I still know Rafa will prevail. ¡Vamos!

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But the rumours were quickly denied and the 36-year-old’s agent has now claimed that the Spaniard is doing all he can to be back at Wimbledon for the first time in three years as he continues to struggle with a chronic foot injury. “That information from Marca was false. I spoke to the journalist yesterday after the press conference. They took down the article immediately,” Benito Perez-Barbadillo said of the claims that Nadal would be skipping Wimbledon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have already posted that Rafa's manager, Benito has said that Rafa has not withdrawn from Wimbledon.
Shame people cannot read or that dont want to read :)

• Love
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa had a 1 and 1/2 hour practice yesterday in sunny conditions, from what I saw via video, he appeared to be in good spirits and was moving well.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will put this news here regarding Rafa's foot as I dont want to spoil the incredible moment him winning 14 GS titles at RG

Rafa has told French TV after his match with Moutet, he could hardly walk, he has played the tournament with the nerve in his foot under anesthesia., that is how is was able to keep going.
Rafa said he and his team are looking to have a new treatment, in a few days..

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will put this news here regarding Rafa's foot as I dont want to spoil the incredible moment him winning 14 GS titles at RG

Rafa has told French TV after his match with Moutet, he could hardly walk, he has played the tournament with the nerve in his foot under anesthesia.
Rafa said he and his team are looking to have a new treatment, in a few days..
He really is conflicted because he wants to find new treatment so he can continue playing tennis. On the other hand, he wants to enjoy his life outside of tennis. I am hoping he can finally find peace because he really has nothing to prove anymore.

Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He really is conflicted because he wants to find new treatment so he can continue playing tennis. On the other hand, he wants to enjoy his life outside of tennis. I am hoping he can finally find peace because he really has nothing to prove anymore.
Rafa said he has to find a solution he cant have the nerve in his foot asleep all the time to play.I understand where he is coming from,once it wears off, he must be in pain

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Updated news,

Rafa will try a new treatment, if that does not work,apparently Wimbledon is out.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa said he has to find a solution he cant have the nerve in his foot asleep all the time to play.I understand where he is coming from,once it wears off, he must be in pain
WOW.. that's doesn't sound like fun ..my thoughts are use the same procedure for SW19..look for something alternative in early July or September..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WOW.. that's doesn't sound like fun ..my thoughts are use the same procedure for SW19..look for something alternative in early July or September.
Apparently Rafa does not to keep having injections into the nerve of his foot for 2 weeks at a time to numb it, I understand that, this new treatment hopefully might work, though there was no details about it

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Now I have got the details of the new treatment they are going to try,

Rafa did say when the nerve in the foot is numb, there is concern you could have an injury, having no feeling, turning your ankle is one
This week, they are going to try ' radio frequency injection on the nerve' to see if that can make a difference.,
Apart from playing tennis Rafa says he wants to find a solution so he can also have a better life when he is not playing tennis

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Rafa did say when the nerve in the foot is numb, there is concern you could have an injury, having no feeling, turning your ankle is one
This week, they are going to try ' radio frequency injection on the nerve' to see if that can make a difference.,
Apart from playing tennis Rafa says he wants to find a solution so he can also have a better life when he is not playing tennis
I agree that having no feeling in the foot (or parts of it) is a terrible idea, for, as you say, the risk of injury. We knew he would do anything to get through RG. (He had his doctor with him the whole time, FFS!) But you can't go on like that. Fingers crossed for the new treatment.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So, here's my question to my fellow Rafa Nadal fans:

Now that Rafael Nadal has won the 1st two slams of the year, what are your expectations from him on the 2nd half of the year?

Let's assume for the sake of argument, his foot does holds up until after the US Open.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I hea

I heard him say it in the press conference too.. I'm thinking he would take that and maybe Tylenol arthritis or something like that for the pain

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So, here's my question to my fellow Rafa Nadal fans:

Now that Rafael Nadal has won the 1st two slams of the year, what are your expectations from him on the 2nd half of the year?

Let's assume for the sake of argument, his foot does holds up until after the US Open.
There is the part of me that wants the CYGS. Why not? He's never started the year with AO and RG in his pocket, right?