Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
@MargaretMcAleer Any news on practicing or is he going to wait until he gets to Paris?
It’s kinda like, this year is the worst year ever for Rafa on clay before Paris, except 2020, when he arrived on fire. But he has no form, no big wins, his body is creaking louder than ever, with large elongated existential creaks, so he really needs good practice now, doesn’t he? And that might not even be enough..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s kinda like, this year is the worst year ever for Rafa on clay before Paris, except 2020, when he arrived on fire. But he has no form, no big wins, his body is creaking louder than ever, with large elongated existential creaks, so he really needs good practice now, doesn’t he? And that might not even be enough..
I'd say, if the foot demons can go back in the box, then he could also use a couple of not very challenging rounds at RG as batting practice.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some good news...Rafa practiced today at his academy before he flies to Paris on Wednesday

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually 2020 was the true anomaly, RG had miserable non typical red clay playing conditions, weather, etc.

To paraphrase James Carville, " It's the Foot, stupid."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd say, if the foot demons can go back in the box, then he could also use a couple of not very challenging rounds at RG as batting practice.
Lets pray that Rafa dosent end up in Novak's half seeing his seeding dropped to No 5
Though he has won RG before seeded No 5, though not with his foot problems the way they are now

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Numbers 5 and 6 in the world are not fellas you'd want to meet in the quarters...
No, but the No 5 especially I would prefer he was healthy, I just hope the foot behaves itself throughout the tournament

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No, but the No 5 especially I would prefer he was healthy, I just hope the foot behaves itself throughout the tournament
Absolutely. I'm kind of at the stage now where I dunno what to expect from Rafa, but managing his body is not something he ever seemed to be a genius at. I think if the foot holds up, he might play his way into the tournament, and with hopefully Dannii as his scheduled QF opponent...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Absolutely. I'm kind of at the stage now where I dunno what to expect from Rafa, but managing his body is not something he ever seemed to be a genius at. I think if the foot holds up, he might play his way into the tournament, and with hopefully Dannii as his scheduled QF opponen
Medvedev is playing Geneva clay tournament before RG, after his hernia operation.

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually 2020 was the true anomaly, RG had miserable non typical red clay playing conditions, weather, etc.

To paraphrase James Carville, " It's the Foot, stupid."
The 2020 RG is what continues to give me hope, as long as the foot holds up. He had every obstruction laid out for him NOT to win that year in Paris, including Djokovic in the final, with the roof closed, and still he won it without dropping a set. Hope springs eternal.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The 2020 RG is what continues to give me hope, as long as the foot holds up. He had every obstruction laid out for him NOT to win that year in Paris, including Djokovic in the final, with the roof closed, and still he won it without dropping a set. Hope springs eternal.
Well, 2020 and Australia this year, where he had no real build up either, which is generally the case there anyway, but he had nothing late last year. He just played like he was happy to be alive, and that was because he was so happy to be back in court, with no great feeling of pain.

I dunno what condition the foot is in now, if he feels confident about it, but if he feels it can take two weeks of battles, then he might once more be the one to watch - and avoid - in Paris…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, 2020 and Australia this year, where he had no real build up either, which is generally the case there anyway, but he had nothing late last year. He just played like he was happy to be alive, and that was because he was so happy to be back in court, with no great feeling of pain.

I dunno what condition the foot is in now, if he feels confident about it, but if he feels it can take two weeks of battles, then he might once more be the one to watch - and avoid - in Paris…
Well I hope he regains his mental battle , cause after Roma this year, his mind was not in a good place.
"Pain takes away your happiness, not only in tennis but in life"
I have never heard Rafa talk 'soo dark"....

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I hope he regains his mental battle , cause after Roma this year, his mind was not in a good place.
"Pain takes away your happiness, not only in tennis but in life"
I have never heard Rafa talk 'soo dark"....
Injuries really not being able to play for such a long periods really can take you into a dark place. Annacone is still high on Rafa's chances, that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Injuries really not being able to play for such a long periods really can take you into a dark place.
To me it was about his 'foot' giving him grief again, it was the 'straw that broke the camel's back even Chris O'Cleary who has been following and reporting on Rafa since he came on the tour, said it was the 'darkest' he has seen him after Roma.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Well, the foot was a problem since forever, but more of a problem since last RG, as I understand it. He says he plays and lives with pain, so is it really worse than in Oz, or just not a bad day like v. Shapo? He doesn't bring much clay success into RG, but an otherwise successful year. I hope the foot quiets down and he plays with his usual commitment to winning Roland Garros again.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, the foot was a problem since forever, but more of a problem since last RG, as I understand it. He says he plays and lives with pain, so is it really worse than in Oz, or just not a bad day like v. Shapo? He doesn't bring much clay success into RG, but an otherwise successful year. I hope the foot quiets down and he plays with his usual commitment to winning Roland Garros again.
Rafa hurt his foot at Roma last year....if anyone watched the s/final at RG last year, you could tell Rafa's footwork was below par.

Last edited: