Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What I don’t like is that when the trainer came on court during the final he really applied a lot of physical force and pressure on Nadal and actually could have made things worse. He treated it like some muscle ache but he was pushing so hard that he could have made the fracture worse. :facepalm:
He was definitely wincing, but by all accounts, fractured ribs are painful, in any case. NYTimes ran a piece today, saying that there are ways to make bones knit faster, or try to. This is not especially optimistic, from the Times article:

"But this is a new type of injury for Nadal, one that could recur and, according to the retired orthopedic surgeon Bill Mallon, could require longer than four to six weeks to heal. “You can’t put your rib in a cast,” Mallon said.

Treatment options are limited, though some patients use bone stimulator devices, which use electrical or ultrasonic impulses to try to speed healing, said Nicholas DiNubile, an American orthopedic surgeon. Nadal has never played in the French Open without competing in a preliminary event on clay. But it could be a race against the clock to compete in early May in the Madrid Open or Italian Open."

That said, I don't know why a stress fracture of the rib should necessarily recur. There are treatments, per above, to speed healing. And, while they mention he's never played RG w/o playing a warm-up, he DID win it in 2020 after only having played 3? matches in Rome, without dropping a set at the French, under terrible conditions, and without having played anywhere since before Covid, some 7 months. So, with a great start to the year, when finally back on clay competitively, why shouldn't it be Rafa again to hoist the Coupe de Mousquetaires?

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He was definitely wincing, but by all accounts, fractured ribs are painful, in any case. NYTimes ran a piece today, saying that there are ways to make bones knit faster, or try to. This is not especially optimistic, from the Times article:

"But this is a new type of injury for Nadal, one that could recur and, according to the retired orthopedic surgeon Bill Mallon, could require longer than four to six weeks to heal. “You can’t put your rib in a cast,” Mallon said.

Treatment options are limited, though some patients use bone stimulator devices, which use electrical or ultrasonic impulses to try to speed healing, said Nicholas DiNubile, an American orthopedic surgeon. Nadal has never played in the French Open without competing in a preliminary event on clay. But it could be a race against the clock to compete in early May in the Madrid Open or Italian Open."

That said, I don't know why a stress fracture of the rib should necessarily recur. There are treatments, per above, to speed healing. And, while they mention he's never played RG w/o playing a warm-up, he DID win it in 2020 after only having played 3? matches in Rome, without dropping a set at the French, under terrible conditions, and without having played anywhere since before Covid, some 7 months. So, with a great start to the year, when finally back on clay competitively, why shouldn't it be Rafa again to hoist the Coupe de Mousquetaires?

Or maybe he will be fresher and in peak form for Wimbledon and win that one instead? He did reach the SF the last 2 times he played only losing to Federer and Djokovic. So I would say he's still a Top 5 contender there. But first things first, hopefully he has a very quick recovery and is able to train and come back in full force asap!

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Or maybe he will be fresher and in peak form for Wimbledon and win that one instead? He did reach the SF the last 2 times he played only losing to Federer and Djokovic. So I would say he's still a Top 5 contender there. But first things first, hopefully he has a very quick recovery and is able to train and come back in full force asap!
With Rafa and his injuries its always a roller coaster ride for his fans, excepts we don't know ahead of time the dips and the highs.... :astonished-face:

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually, if he wins RG without too much stress on the body, he might just be ready for a valiant attempt at Wimbledon, too. I'm not ready to concede "instead." :)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually, if he wins RG without too much stress on the body, he might just be ready for a valiant attempt at Wimbledon, too. I'm not ready to concede "instead." :)
I agree with you! Also, like I said, I think Rafa will be ready to re-claim his throne at this year's RG.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with you! Also, like I said, I think Rafa will be ready to re-claim his throne at this year's RG.
Absolutely WAY too soon to panic about his fitness for Roland Garros. It has been variously said: He could win RG on one leg. He could win RG after he retires. If he could pull that rabbit out of his hat from two sets down in Oz, if he posts, he can win RG.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Absolutely WAY too soon to panic about his fitness for Roland Garros. It has been variously said: He could win RG on one leg. He could win RG after he retires. If he could pull that rabbit out of his hat from two sets down in Oz, if he posts, he can win RG.
Also, based on Rafa's doctor comment, I think Nadal should able to play competitive tennis by the start of May. The way I view the comment is that they are "cautiously optimistic" that he will be good to go by Madrid.

Also, I saw from someone I follow in Social media that the same doctor commented that Rafa's foot did not have any problems at all during IW (which is great news).

At this very point, they will try their very best to reduce the pain altogether and go from there. I take that as a good news in my view.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Must admit when I first read he had breathing problems I thought he was another athlete added to the lengthy list of those with heart problems due to adverse reaction from the covid vaccines so it's good it's not that as a heart problem is obviously much worse and his current issue should heal up fine. Many have been hospitalized after their booster and thought he may have got one recently. Good it's not that.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Must admit when I first read he had breathing problems I thought he was another athlete added to the lengthy list of those with heart problems due to adverse reaction from the covid vaccines so it's good it's not that as a heart problem is obviously much worse and his current issue should heal up fine. Many have been hospitalized after their booster and thought he may have got one recently. Good it's not that.
Good to see your Front....been awhile:)

Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks Margaret. Just been busy lately but still alive and kicking. Tha rona hasn't got me yet. Do do do do do do my corona, my, my, my corona :lol6:
Has not got me either....you and I must have strong genes or something :)....I am off to work see you later

Reactions: Front242

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just read this from Dr Cotorro,Rafa's doctor,

This kind of injury,rib fracture can happen in tennis,not as often as others,but it's not an isolated case.It's not an acute injury,but progressive and it appears when there's a cumulative overload on the bone.When the stress bone's subjected to surpass certain limit it fractures.
Coming back from 6 months out of the tour likely to also be a factor,as the body is less ready and more prone to injuries.

Dr Cotorro also made mention of Rafa's foot,he said playing on clay is a better surface,though so far playing on the HC,Rafa's foot has held up well.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just read this from Dr Cotorro,Rafa's doctor,

This kind of injury,rib fracture can happen in tennis,not as often as others,but it's not an isolated case.It's not an acute injury,but progressive and it appears when there's a cumulative overload on the bone.When the stress bone's subjected to surpass certain limit it fractures.
Coming back from 6 months out of the tour likely to also be a factor,as the body is less ready and more prone to injuries.

Dr Cotorro also made mention of Rafa's foot,he said playing on clay is a better surface,though so far playing on the HC,Rafa's foot has held up well.
At lea He can fully rest his body these next 4-6 weeks. I am cautiously confident he will be good to go!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Nico Rosberg would know about that.
I was trying to figure out who he was, then I googled. F1? His interesting distillation of Rafa's comments on that was something like: if you don't have doubts, then when you lose, you blame others, or the weather, or whatever he said, but it did ring rather to some comments and behaviors of the "youngsters," of late: the blaming of the chair, of the crowd, and demeaning of the opponent, etc. Maybe some of these players need to realize that the fault can lie within.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not that it is surprising but Rafa Nadal is officially OUT of the Monte Carlo draw entry list.