It's Dec 1, 2018...What happened?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If the two of you believe that Nick is EVER gonna keep whatever going on inside of his head together for the entirety of a fortnight, then you really havent been watching the same movie that I have been seeing. I NEVER said he didnt have the talent but Nick doesnt have the composure or really the moxie (no pun intended) to compete at that level. He will get ambushed in a semi or final just like Thomas Johansson defeated Safin. Luckily Marat was able to right the ship but he was never as wacky as Nicky
I beg to differ that Safin was never as wacky as Nick. Or as disdainful of tennis. He won the USO in 2000 or whatever because he was young and didn't think about it too hard. And he won the AO in 2005 because Peter Lundgren knitted his head together for a short period of time. Imho, what Nick needs is a Peter Lundgren.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I beg to differ that Safin was never as wacky as Nick. Or as disdainful of tennis. He won the USO in 2000 or whatever because he was young and didn't think about it too hard. And he won the AO in 2005 because Peter Lundgren knitted his head together for a short period of time. Imho, what Nick needs is a Peter Lundgren.
I never said Safin was as wacky as Nicky.. however they are probably the two most supremely talented tennis players I have ever seen. My point is whereas Safin was finally able to harness his inner demons to be a real threat in grandslams, we have seen NO evidence of Nicky ever being able to “right” that ship.. Seriously , that ship sailed long ago and it aint touching shore again until the big 4 are long gone. Then Nicky may win a slam by osmosis.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
As much interested as he cried when he lost to Federer in an exhibition named Laver Cup....

Laver Cup isn't/wasn't an exhibition. That's why he was upset he lost.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kyrgios supremely talented????
Sorry but no. Yes he is talented, but he also has some aspects in his game and I am talking some of the technical skills which are not that great.
He has two weapons which could bring him some great results but he is also vulnerable.
It is not only his brain which needs improvement.

Reactions: mrzz and Carol

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry but no. Yes he is talented, but he also has some aspects in his game and I am talking some of the technical skills which are not that great.
He has two weapons which could bring him some great results but he is also vulnerable.
Really.. Tell me miss genius or tennis guru.. what are the flaws in Wacky Nicky game

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I never said Safin was as wacky as Nicky.. however they are probably the two most supremely talented tennis players I have ever seen. My point is whereas Safin was finally able to harness his inner demons to be a real threat in grandslams, we have seen NO evidence of Nicky ever being able to “right” that ship.. Seriously , that ship sailed long ago and it aint touching shore again until the big 4 are long gone. Then Nicky may win a slam by osmosis.
You didn't say Safin was as wacky as Nicky...I did. He was. He was fined for tanking, he beat himself at least as often as anyone else beat him, and let's not forget the Safinettes. He only harnessed his inner demons for one Major. And then he never won another tournament the rest of his career. The first Major came before he even thought about it much. Won the USO on talent and youthful enthusiasm.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ok, before responding, why do you need to be so obnoxious with me all the time? Seriously.
It's true that that was a bit obnoxious. There are 2 schools of thought on Kyrgios, and you're not the only one that finds him overrated. Personally, I think he's got some real gifts, but I wouldn't mind hearing where you think he lacks.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Safin is a good comp for Kyrgios, I think. Like Safin, Kyrgios has elite talent. Maybe not Big Three talent, but who has that kind of talent? But what he lacks is the mentality of a champion. Whether or not he wins Slams depends on two things: One, will he have windows of opportunity and two, will he be able to buckle in and find that mentality, if only for seven matches? We simply don't know on either front.

The Big Four are not done, and by the time they're done the more talented NextGen will be in their prime. Consider that in two years, when Kyrgios is 24, Roger will be 38, Rafa 33, and Novak and Andy 32; but Zverev and Rublev will be 22 and reaching peak form, not to mention Shapovalov, Tiafoe, Tsitsipas, Aliassime, etc.

But regardless, Kyrgios is a very talented and interesting player who could surprise and win a Slam, as soon as this year. Or he could never win a Slam. But he's going to be, at the very least, a dangerous floater than no one wants to face, because while he will probably fold under pressure in most cases, the danger is always there for him to find a very dangerous form - not unlike del Potro or Cilic at their best.

Zverev, I think, will be far more consistent, but not quite as explosive. But he's still growing into his powers, so might find that higher octave yet to be a true great.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Lot's of good points in there, Dude. I think your word "explosive" is very apt for Nick's game. He has really astonishing quick-twitch reflexes. But I will say, Kyrgios winning a Slam(s), imo, depends most especially on a good coach. There is no more talented player who needs one more desperately. And I'm not kidding that Peter Lundgren won the AO for Safin. Interesting that you point out relative ages in 2 years. Kyrgios should have opportunities while he's young enough to enjoy them, if he's healthy and can be reined in. He's better than a spoiler, but if nothing else he probably will likely spoil a lot of players' tourneys. What I don't see him doing is being a dominant #1. As far as Zverev, he gets some Safin comparisons, too. Maybe just due to his height, serve and that strong 2HBH. But I don't understand why some call him boring, or bratty. I think his consistency, FH and net play will improve, and he has the head to be a consistent top 5 even solid #1 player. He may have won Rome and Montreal this year by being the last man standing, but he's only 20, and that says something about his character.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Ok, before responding, why do you need to be so obnoxious with me all the time? Seriously.
After all these years, now you want to get sensitive.. gee whiz,, Let me rephrase my comment.. herios.. can you tell me why you dont agree with Kyrgios isn’t supremely talented (by the way.. I put Monfils, Federer and Rafa in the same league having talent to master any type of tennis shot)

By the way..I actually like you as a poster.. there have been numerous times when I have acknowledged you may have more insight on certain players than I am of aware of. In the recent years, you havent been big on Rafa and Federer and tried to ursher those players out to pasture prematurely I felt. Otherwise, U are Aight with me.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's true that that was a bit obnoxious. There are 2 schools of thought on Kyrgios, and you're not the only one that finds him overrated. Personally, I think he's got some real gifts, but I wouldn't mind hearing where you think he lacks.
Obnoxious.. huh.. when those trolls are attacking Miss Carol you dont really say too much but my reply is a bit obnoxious:facepalm:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

Finally someone who has eyes have appeared. I was starting to scream to myself...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Obnoxious.. huh.. when those trolls are attacking Miss Carol you dont really say too much but my reply is a bit obnoxious:facepalm:
Herios is a pretty genteel poster, and you went at him talons-forward, for no reason. There are no trolls attacking Carol. Being insulted is different than being "trolled." Carol is a Rafa fan in the extreme, and thereby opens herself up to ridicule. That is her choice. Even as a Nadal fan, I find some of her comments to be indefensible. If you choose to defend her, come what may, that's up to you.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Herios is a pretty genteel poster, and you went at him talons-forward, for no reason. There are no trolls attacking Carol. Being insulted is different than being "trolled." Carol is a Rafa fan in the extreme, and thereby opens herself up to ridicule. That is her choice. Even as a Nadal fan, I find some of her comments to be indefensible. If you choose to defend her, come what may, that's up to you.
Moxie .. give me a freakin break.. That;s absurd and as usual you jump in and blow things out of proportion. herios is a big person and definitely dont need any assistance from you

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Finally someone who has eyes have appeared. I was starting to scream to myself...
I know you're in the anti-Kyrgios camp, but don't be so melodramatic. Look, either, Kyrgios is going to do it, or he isn't. But, even if you think he's over-rated, do you really think he's that untalented?