It's Dec 1, 2018...What happened?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Aloha Everyone, Mele Kalikimaka, Meka Haole Makahiki Ho Ho Ho !!
It's been a while since I stopped in and this thread caught my eye. Given the results of the 2017 ATP WTF World Tour Finals, Grigor over Le Goff, it seems anything is possible for 2018, will the Nex Nex Gen keep up the pressure, will Fedal repeat, will the other big three find their form... all good questions.
Sooo, looking into my crystal ball, that has a few cracks from the end of 2017, here is my wish list

1. Slam champions
AO Fed over Rafa, RG Fed over Stan, SW19 Fed over Novak, USO Fed over Murray
2. Year-end top 10
1 Fed, 2 Rafa, 3 Novak, 4 Sir Muzz, 5 Stan, 6 Alex, 7 Nick, 8 Grigor, 9 Jo Willie, 10 Dominic
3. WTF/Masters winners
Nick/Masters split between Fed, Rafa, Novak, Alex and Nick
4. Breakthroughs
Nick
5. Declines
Stan blows out his knee at RG and calls it quits, Novak and Del Po search the net for miraculous cure for ailing wrists.
6. Any and all speculations on specific players
Hmmm, see 1-5
7. True "fearless predictions" - things you realize are improbable but just have a feeling about
SEE 1-5
8. Anything else you want to say about 2018
It damn sure will be an interesting year and I better lay off the Kool Aid ;-)
Aloha! I hope you're well & had a good Xmas & wish you a Happy New Year!

Bounce It !!

Club Member
Reactions
Mahalo EA, with an 8yr old GBaby around, Christmas was more fun than a barrel of monkeys !

Hope your Christmas a great and here's to a very happy New Year !!

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Mahalo EA, with an 8yr old GBaby around, Christmas was more fun than a barrel of monkeys !

Hope your Christmas a great and here's to a very happy New Year !!
I'm glad you had fun at Xmas. I had a nice relaxing Xmas. Thank you very much. Happy New Year!

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yep.. Carol there is a good video out on the internet with Carlos and Rafa practing.. Unfortunately my Spanish is only at the level to attempt to “be friend beautiful Latinas “ .. can you retrieve it and translate because it appears he is back training again
I’ve just found this vid but Moyá is talking in Malloquin which I can’t understand too much and anyway the last news are that Rafa won’t play in Brisbane

Reactions: the AntiPusher

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here are my preliminary predictions for 2018. I may add more later.

1. We will have four different GS champions in 2018.

2. The GS champions are as follows:

AO: Federer
RG: Nadal
Wimby: Kyrgios
USO: Djokovic

3. Shapovalov will finish in top 32 by the end of 2018.

4. FAA will finish in top 100 by the end of 2018.

5. Berdych will get out of top 32 by end of 2018.

6. Tsonga will get our of top 16 by end of 2018.

7. JMDP will win at least one big title (ATP 1000 or better).

8. Federer will play on clay in 2018.

9. Sasha will fail to reach SF in all the GSs.

10. Milos would not be considered as a slam contender any more.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’ve just found this vid but Moyá is talking in Malloquin which I can’t understand too much and anyway the last news are that Rafa won’t play in Brisbane

The whole thing is in Catalan, but I don't think they've left off Brisbane, only that Abu Dhabi is out. But it does appear that he's pulled out of Brisbane. They talk about the fact that Toni isn't training with him and Moyà talks about how much happened last year. All speculation about the knee. Pretty vague, as per general sports talk, but if they said anything of interest, it evaded my understanding of Catalan, too.

If he's pulling out of all tune-ups to AO, then the knee must be in doubt. It would be unusual for Rafa to go into a Slam without a tune-up. Or, probably unprecedented.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The whole thing is in Catalan, but I don't think they've left off Brisbane, only that Abu Dhabi is out. But it does appear that he's pulled out of Brisbane. They talk about the fact that Toni isn't training with him and Moyà talks about how much happened last year. All speculation about the knee. Pretty vague, as per general sports talk, but if they said anything of interest, it evaded my understanding of Catalan, too.

If he's pulling out of all tune-ups to AO, then the knee must be in doubt. It would be unusual for Rafa to go into a Slam without a tune-up. Or, probably unprecedented.
Rafa has announced already that he won’t play in Brisbane but he will be in Melbourne in January 4th

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/...reme-doubt-for-melbourne-20171228-h0ats6.html

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
On the other hand it’s true that Rafa has started to practice a few days ego and he has not enough time to compite in a tournament so maybe the decision to wait a little longer is the best thing he can do

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has announced already that he won’t play in Brisbane but he will be in Melbourne in January 4th

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/...reme-doubt-for-melbourne-20171228-h0ats6.html

I already posted that link. Rafa is not playing in any event in Melbourne on Jan 4th. Rafa is planning to travel to Melbourne on Jan 4th.
Rafa not only dropped out of Brisbane, but also from the xo in Sydney that he signed up for (A fast four event, playing tennis under
weird rules).

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I already posted that link. Rafa is not playing in any event in Melbourne on Jan 4th. Rafa is planning to travel to Melbourne on Jan 4th.
Rafa not only dropped out of Brisbane, but also from the xo in Sydney that he signed up for (A fast four event, playing tennis under
weird rules).
When I have said that he will play on Jan 4th? I said he will be there that day (arriving) to start to practice having enough days to be ready for the AO

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
When I have said that he will play on Jan 4th? I said he will be there that day (arriving) to start to practice having enough days to be ready for the AO

Ok. Sorry, read your post in a hurry.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Here are my preliminary predictions for 2018. I may add more later.

1. We will have four different GS champions in 2018.

2. The GS champions are as follows:

AO: Federer
RG: Nadal
Wimby: Kyrgios
USO: Djokovic

3. Shapovalov will finish in top 32 by the end of 2018.

4. FAA will finish in top 100 by the end of 2018.

5. Berdych will get out of top 32 by end of 2018.

6. Tsonga will get our of top 16 by end of 2018.

7. JMDP will win at least one big title (ATP 1000 or better).

8. Federer will play on clay in 2018.

9. Sasha will fail to reach SF in all the GSs.

10. Milos would not be considered as a slam contender any more.
Kyrgios will not when a slam before he turns 25

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
On the other hand it’s true that Rafa has started to practice a few days ego and he has not enough time to compite in a tournament so maybe the decision to wait a little longer is the best thing he can do
Yeah.. he is just conserving his energy

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kyrgios will not when a slam before he turns 28
This I totally disagree with. Either he wins one in the next 2 (maybe 3) years, or he gives up on tennis. By which I don't mean that he'll quit playing, but that he won't try hard. He burns hot and fast. If someone can put a hot foot under his talent, and he wins a Major in the next 2-3 years, he might start feeling it. If he meanders around in the middle ground, I fear he'll stay there. That's just an opinion, though.

Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
This I totally disagree with. Either he wins one in the next 2 (maybe 3) years, or he gives up on tennis. By which I don't mean that he'll quit playing, but that he won't try hard. He burns hot and fast. If someone can put a hot foot under his talent, and he wins a Major in the next 2-3 years, he might start feeling it. If he meanders around in the middle ground, I fear he'll stay there. That's just an opinion, though.

This has the ring of truth to it, but with Kyrgios you just never know. He's the one young gun--maybe even one player--that I think has the ability to plow through the Big Four and win a Slam if he somehow stays focused and essentially changes his personality. Or finds a really good coach. Wasn't McEnroe going to work with him?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This has the ring of truth to it, but with Kyrgios you just never know. He's the one young gun--maybe even one player--that I think has the ability to plow through the Big Four and win a Slam if he somehow stays focused and essentially changes his personality. Or finds a really good coach. Wasn't McEnroe going to work with him?
If the two of you believe that Nick is EVER gonna keep whatever going on inside of his head together for the entirety of a fortnight, then you really havent been watching the same movie that I have been seeing. I NEVER said he didnt have the talent but Nick doesnt have the composure or really the moxie (no pun intended) to compete at that level. He will get ambushed in a semi or final just like Thomas Johansson defeated Safin. Luckily Marat was able to right the ship but he was never as wacky as Nicky