Internazionali BNL d'Italia Rome ATP Master

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I really wanted Thiem to win. Nishi got injured again so he will provide no resistance in his next match. Glass Man strikes again.

Djoke vs Murray final with Djoke winning the title is my guess.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think the most important question got answered today could Nadal take down Djokovic and the answer is no. He had all kinds of opportunities to do it too. The key for Nadal to win RG is be on the opposite side of the RG draw and draw Novak in the final or same side but in the semi at a point that would induce nerves, but even that is an ask as I don't see how anyone is going to take down Novak in 5 when Fed is on the Do Not Disturb list, Stan is in whatever land he goes to, Murray well...., and Nadal needed to give Djokovic something to think about before RG, and he really didn't.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
10isfan said:
I really wanted Thiem to win. Nishi got injured again so he will provide no resistance in his next match. Glass Man strikes again.

Djoke vs Murray final with Djoke winning the title is my guess.

Even in a subpar tournament in terms of performance, Djokovic will likely get the chance to add to his embarrassing h2h domination of Murray. That'll be another win notched up against Nadal and Murray within 2 days to reiterate this strong era we're currently witnessing :cover

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think the most important question got answered today could Nadal take down Djokovic and the answer is no. He had all kinds of opportunities to do it too. The key for Nadal to win RG is be on the opposite side of the RG draw and draw Novak in the final or same side but in the semi at a point that would induce nerves, but even that is an ask as I don't see how anyone is going to take down Novak in 5 when Fed is on the Do Not Disturb list, Stan is in whatever land he goes to, Murray well...., and Nadal needed to give Djokovic something to think about before RG, and he really didn't.

Even though Rafa did not win, I think this match should be considered a positive step for Rafa.
Even though he lost in two straight sets, both of them were close and highly competitive. More than the score line, he demonstrated that he can hang in there with Novak at about the same level.

No doubt, Novak is the favorite at RG. However, Rafa is a legitimate contender for the title and second in line.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Even though Rafa did not win, I think this match should be considered a positive step for Rafa.
Even though he lost in two straight sets, both of them were close and highly competitive. More than the score line, he demonstrated that he can hang in there with Novak at about the same level.

No doubt, Novak is the favorite at RG. However, Rafa is a legitimate contender for the title and second in line.

Rafa was always second favorite in line. This match has changed nothing.
Nole has won now the last 15 sets over Nadal. For me this match was a reassurance of his domination.
When needs to step it up, he does it, as he has another gear.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
A couple things to softly conclude from today.

1. The youngsters aren't quite ready for the big time, and Nishikori is the gatekeeper, the threshold they must pass to get into the elite. Kyrgios and Thiem couldn't do it. Yet.

2. I encourage Rafa's fans to have hope from today, but for me it just cemented how much better Novak is than everyone. He started off wobbly and Rafa still couldn't capitalize. It is hard imaging Rafa taking the extra step he needs to make to beat Novak, but I suppose its possible. But if Rafa had won today I would have called him the favorite to win Roland Garros, but for now Novak is still the guy to beat.

3. David Goffin...just as Kei is the threshold between the elite and second tier, Goffin is the threshold between the second tier and the top 20 guys. I don't envision him being better than that, but could see him hanging out in the #8-15 range for the next five years. He seems consistently very good but never great.

1. Not yet, i think old guard will keep them down this year. When they pass K1 then doors are opened.

2. Rafa made good yesterday. He is still RG nominee, i say lets wait what half will they get on RG - very important.

3. Goffin - future Ferrer or better said Berdych.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
"I feel lucky and unlucky at the same time, to be playing in the same era as Novak.”

- Rafael Nadal.

A very gracious (and huge) compliment.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Mile said:
El Dude said:
A couple things to softly conclude from today.

1. The youngsters aren't quite ready for the big time, and Nishikori is the gatekeeper, the threshold they must pass to get into the elite. Kyrgios and Thiem couldn't do it. Yet.

2. I encourage Rafa's fans to have hope from today, but for me it just cemented how much better Novak is than everyone. He started off wobbly and Rafa still couldn't capitalize. It is hard imaging Rafa taking the extra step he needs to make to beat Novak, but I suppose its possible. But if Rafa had won today I would have called him the favorite to win Roland Garros, but for now Novak is still the guy to beat.

3. David Goffin...just as Kei is the threshold between the elite and second tier, Goffin is the threshold between the second tier and the top 20 guys. I don't envision him being better than that, but could see him hanging out in the #8-15 range for the next five years. He seems consistently very good but never great.

1. Not yet, i think old guard will keep them down this year. When they pass K1 then doors are opened.

2. Rafa made good yesterday. He is still RG nominee, i say lets wait what half will they get on RG - very important.

3. Goffin - future Ferrer or better said Berdych.

Meaning when he's Berdych's age it's gonna be Goffin who's getting double bageled :laydownlaughing
Didn't read up at all on that but surely Berdych had to be injured?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray took the first set against Pouille 6-2.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk1IKfRLINk[/video]

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
McTooth didnt had any concrete opponent, he will badly loose in finals.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Mile said:
McTooth didnt had any concrete opponent, he will badly loose in finals.

If he faces Novak that's the only possible outcome regardless these days.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, best set I've seen from Kei in a LONG time. Not allowing Novak to play his game at all. Hitting with great depth, serving much better than usual and moving like a cat. So much for people saying he was gonna play a dud today after the MTO yesterday, unless maybe that was a tactical MTO yesterday and he wasn't injured at all.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kei wins the first set 6-2 against Novak.
I checked in only in the 5th game, apparently Novak auto injured his ankle, hitting it with the racquet when trying to remove the dirt off his shoes.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, hope the rest of the match is good 'cos my wife wants me to watch the Eurovision Song contest so no more tennis for me :cover

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kei blinks. He fails to save the 10th BP which happened to be the first SP for Novak. Onto the third.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Djokovic gets by through the skin of his teeth. He keeps offering the rope to people but nobody takes it.