Internazionali BNL d'Italia Rome ATP Master

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Good win for Novak! Gotta keep up the dominance!

For me, this was the whole goal. Not to lose to Nadal. Now I could care less if he wins the event. Of course, it would not hurt;)

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
10isfan said:
Djoke made an emphatic statement with this win. Let's see how Thiem, a future FO winner, does against him.

You are assuming that Thiem beats Nishikori!

If Thiem does beat Kei and plays Novak in the SF, Thiem has ZERO chance against Novak. ZERO.

And I am not convinced Thiem is a future FO winner. I think Thiem is over-rated. To win slams, you have to be good under pressure, and so far in his career, Thiem has wilted when put under real pressure.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
10isfan said:
Djoke made an emphatic statement with this win. Let's see how Thiem, a future FO winner, does against him. I have been saying for a while that FO 2016 is the last decent shot Nadal has of surpassing Sampras's major count. Someone will have to take out Djoke for Nadal to do it.

I have to admit Rafa's playing well and can agree this is his last great chance in Paris, but as #5 seed, there's little protection against playing Murray or Djokovic in a quarter! Only 25% last year and he still played Nole early! Great match; got my heart racing! :clap :angel: :eyepop - Update: Roger could drop out and allow Rafa to move up to #4; we just have to wait and see! :ras: ;-/

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
10isfan said:
Djoke made an emphatic statement with this win. Let's see how Thiem, a future FO winner, does against him. I have been saying for a while that FO 2016 is the last decent shot Nadal has of surpassing Sampras's major count. Someone will have to take out Djoke for Nadal to do it.

Don't get ahead. I expect Thiem to lose to Kei this evening.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Did anyone see that Bird vs. Coffin match. Bird is not that terrible and Coffin is not that great. How come the double bagel happened? Was Bird injured or something?

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
It is an amazing game. From Doha, to IW, now Rome, Rafa is getting closer and closer. Congratulation to Nole for fending off the tide.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkZE4Jado7s[/video]

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Geez, if Nadal could have, I am sure he would have received serve from the stands. I didn't realize he was receiving from that far back.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Lucky Loser Lucas got really lucky. Due to his excellent run at Rome, he will now be seeded at RG. :clap

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Crappy match honestly. Lot of intensity, yes, and some great points because of it. But tons of errors.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Riotbeard said:
Good win for Novak! Gotta keep up the dominance!

For me, this was the whole goal. Not to lose to Nadal. Now I could care less if he wins the event. Of course, it would not hurt;)

This AINT OVER.. Rafa showed me today that he can compete at the highest level against Novak.. I thought they were playing for the RG championship the way Novak was pumping his everything afterwards every break or hold of service.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
I certainly hope Puppetmaster wasn't watching that one. :cover

Puppetmaster, he be aight.. this wasnt the goal.. RG is the goal..Rafa has been here before.. just play well for two weeks and focus the best 3 of 5 when he faces djoker..

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well naturally anyone would think that as they both knew something was on the line today. Rafa a chance at the number 4 seed, and Novak knowing full well he could upend his RG campaign if he lost to Nadal giving him a huge confidence boost heading into his favorite slam. The best way to make life easier on yourself is to keep your opponents at bay.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:
Crappy match honestly. Lot of intensity, yes, and some great points because of it. But tons of errors.

If you look at the stat, Novak has 0 differential and Rafa has -8 differential. However, the match was very exciting and highly competitive. The set point of the first set itself is worth the price of admission.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
I certainly hope Puppetmaster wasn't watching that one. :cover

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

:snicker

mouse

Futures Player
Reactions
Looking forward to Kei vs Thiem

Kei to win in 3

mouse

Futures Player
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I hope Thiem upsets Kei. I like the progression I see from Thiem.

Normally I would agree but I need Kei to win to finish off my treble

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
It warms whatever is left of my heart when I see my name mentioned here, even if it's a joke lol. I came back to tell you my story. I intentionally went outside to run some errands during their match ( I wasn't drinking I swear). After more than 2 hours I come back and as soon as I turned on thr TV I see Nadal is match point down, no kidding.
How's that for luck? I mean I am uncontested.
The thing I saw from the highlights: Rafa's baseline game, as declined and as useless he is, it eclipses Novak's. He lost both set because of nerves. If the weather was sunnier, the bounce would be higher and who knows what could have happened. But ultimately he still lost, which is worrying for his RG chances.