Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome ATP 1000, 2018

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
both Wimbledon and RG last year were shockers mate. Your guy won at RG, and my guy won at Wimbledon. We don't have to put ribbons around the story in either case. They were some of the worst slams I've seen in the last few decades as the field just bent over for Fedal
I agree weak competition, last year, but least wawrinka was 100% fit,

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
I read it. And it doesn't matter. I have watched Federer and Djokovic to name but two pull off stretches of 6 consecutive games against Rafa multiple times. Only a few of those have resulted in bagels but point is it's by no means as rare as you represent. And trying to make excuses for Rafa getting bageled by Federer amazes me
I agree djokovic, federer was just too at these times, but nadal play the worst tennis of his life in these matches you are talking about.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree, and cilic would have still lost if he was 100% that's of sure, federer proved that this year.
I have to say I'm not so sure about that. Yes definitely Roger would have had the edge. But there were moments where Cilic just went for it and he cause Roger a lot of problems. But you don't gift Federer a set by absolutely choking - and that first set was all about Cilic choking and not the blisters - the expect to come back and win

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's not what I'm doing mate. Please don't misrepresent me. I actually think what makes Rafa so good is that he can either raise his level or drain his opponents high level. That's what champions do. You can try elevate Rafa to godhood if you want, but you're missing what makes Rafa the greatest clay courter of all time. You throw everything at the guy, you're beating him and at some point you're spent, and Rafa is still there to win. That's greatness to me. If you want to accept some sort of delusional narrative where he's never been on the ropes go for it.

Nadal has been on the ropes plenty of times on clay, and he's lost to far worse players than Federer on clay anyway. It's normal that Roger would beat him on this surface a couple of times. No excuses needed. In fact, it's pretty surprising he only lost to him twice in 15 meetings. That's not my issue. My issue is fatigue was a legitimate issue in that particular match (Hamburg 2007), and Nadal was running out of gas towards the end of a very, very busy schedule in which he was winning literally every tournament, and had played a marathon with Hewitt the previous day. He had nothing left in that final set. That's all. It has nothing to do with trying to advance a delusional narrative whereby he's never been in trouble on clay or that he thoroughly outplays every opponent.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Djoker was the same age as Federer all these years the latter might have more than 20. Have you seen Djokovic at ages 29-31 compared to Roger? Nadal won 9 before Djoker became great too, should we discount those? Just be happy there's no real drug policy in this sport and those who get "caught" usually get set free.

This is the most ignorant of posts, and it drives me nuts that guys actually use it.

Since what you're implying is very obvious let's call things for what they are:

Why do you think Nadal is a PED user, but not Federer? It's utterly hilarious to me this line of thinking that you and Front constantly push: "Oh yeah, everyone in tennis is on drugs, but the drug policy is a joke...except for Federer of course, he's clean. You know, the most successful player of all time who's still winning majors at 36 years of age... he's clean."

To be clear, I am NOT implying Federer is on something. But if you think Nadal or Djoker are, surely old man Fed moving like a cat and dominating people should raise eyebrows?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal has been on the ropes plenty of times on clay, and he's lost to far worse players than Federer on clay anyway. It's normal that Roger would beat him on this surface a couple of times. No excuses needed. In fact, it's pretty surprising he only lost to him twice in 15 meetings. That's not my issue. My issue is fatigue was a legitimate issue in that particular match (Hamburg 2007), and Nadal was running out of gas towards the end of a very, very busy schedule in which he was winning literally every tournament, and had played a marathon with Hewitt the previous day. He had nothing left in that final set. That's all. It has nothing to do with trying to advance a delusional narrative whereby he's never been in trouble on clay or that he thoroughly outplays every opponent.
I can certainly accept that players run out of gas. I'm not discounting that. I remember that match vividly. It had nothing to do with being physically tired. Roger zoned and for once Rafa wasn't mentally capable of coming up with a solution. If you want to ascribe that to mental fatigue I get it. But where does it end? These guys are professionals. Sometimes you get out of bed and simply can't summon up the resistance necessary. The fact that it happens so rarely for either of them is noteworthy. It's part of their legend, but it happens

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Cilic was getting clobbered in that first set before he starting bitching and crying about his blisters. Wawrinka was poor at RG 17, could've easily lost to freaking Murray in the SF so he wasn't at any level to beat dull in the final.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
btw I recall the one non Nadal loss Federer suffered in 2007 (?) to Murray in Cincy in the first round. Roger was on some sort of crazy streak and got bundled out in quick time. It wasn't fatigue. He lost because - to my mind - he really didn't give a shit. It happens. He just couldn't summon up the energy to care.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Cilic was getting clobbered in that first set before he starting bitching and crying about his blisters. Wawrinka was poor at RG 17, could've easily lost to freaking Murray in the SF so he wasn't at any level to beat dull in the final.
you get my point then. It was less about Roger or Rafa being great and more about a supine opposition

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
you get my point then. It was less about Roger or Rafa being great and more about a supine opposition

Doesn't apply to Fed as I already explained but you're attempting to appear fair and balanced and you're failing miserably. Stop embarassing yourself already.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Doesn't apply to Fed as I already explained but you're attempting to appear fair and balanced and you're failing miserably. Stop embarassing yourself already.
Lol! I can be accused of many things mate. But trying to represent myself in any way to some fucking strangers on the inter-web ain't one of my things. I call it as I see it. I'm a fan of Federer but I'm not going to eat his shit and pretend it's foie gras. But if it tastes good to you, have at it

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Lol! I can be accused of many things mate. But trying to represent myself in any way to some fucking strangers on the inter-web ain't one of my things. I call it as I see it. I'm a fan of Federer but I'm not going to eat his shit and pretend it's foie gras. But if it tastes good to you, have at it

And yet you keep quoting me to shove your pov down my throat. You already said "agree to disagree" and still went on quoting me.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
And yet you keep quoting me to shove your pov down my throat. You already said "agree to disagree" and still went on quoting me.
since you like eating the brown stuff I imagine it tastes great to you. Bon appetit