Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome ATP 1000, 2018

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Could say the thing about federer but I'm not a troll like you, I know federer and nadal earned everything they got in they careers

"Could say the same thing about Federer". Federer's never had freaking net trips, main rival falling in the SF of a slam, consistent joke draws at USO, rain delays and opponents getting injured mid match ala Madrid 14. *cough * *cough*

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
You keep making the same mistake when looking back at Rafa's success on clay. It's not that he is always far superior to all those he plays. What makes Rafa so great is the incredible level that needs to be maintained to defeat him. We have seen it time and time again that his opponents can reach levels that blow Rafa away. What makes Rafa special is the fact that no one seems able to sustain those levels. He's not a god. Both Novak and Roger have absolutely crushed him for periods but have been reeled back in. Quite frankly it's extremely rare for these all time great players to be bageled at all. But they can and have been. I'm not arguing for a moment that it's run of the mill for Rafa to be bageled. I do however utterly reject your suggestion that Rafa has to be impaired in any way to be bageled. It simply doesn't match the facts. Federer bageled him on clay not because there was anything wrong with Rafa, but Federer was capable of doing it. You can construct whatever narrative you want about it mate, but it's not factual. He's a human being and even on clay things can run away from him. Frankly it's what makes him even more special on clay. You can crush him and he'll still be there to win the whole thing. You can try to make him seem like a god if it makes you feel better, but you actually diminish Rafa's abilities and achievements by doing so

You should if I ever suggest it. That is not an argument I have ever made. That is a strawman you are just arguing against. I have only mentioned that in ONE set in ONE match, I felt he was playing with nothing left in the tank. I have not generalized. Even then it is just an opinion. You may think he was %100 in that match and it is cool. People see things differently.

Reactions: brokenshoelace

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
"Could say the same thing about Federer". Federer's never had freaking net trips, main rival falling in the SF of a slam, consistent joke draws at USO, rain delays and opponents getting injured mid match ala Madrid 14. *cough * *cough*
Maybe Roger's draw at Wimbledon last year wasn't a joke draw, it was pretty close to it. But even if the names in his draw were supposedly tough he walked it because everyone was utter garbage. So let's not kid ourselves that Roger hasn't had ridiculously easy slam wins. It happens. And for guys like Federer and Nadal, given how many slams they've contested, it would be surprising if that wasn't the case

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe Roger's draw at Wimbledon last year wasn't a joke draw, it was pretty close to it. But even if the names in his draw were supposedly tough he walked it because everyone was utter garbage. So let's not kid ourselves that Roger hasn't had ridiculously easy slam wins. It happens. And for guys like Federer and Nadal, given how many slams they've contested, it would be surprising if that wasn't the case

Complete nonsense. He had Dimitrov, Raonic, Berdych, Cilic. Infact faker too who lost to birdshit. Besides faker, who else would be tough for Fed on grass? Berdych peaked, Raonic peaked in that third set, Dimitrov was in good form but Federer was too good for everyone.

And who did dull have at RG? Oh that's right , nobody.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal belongs there all-time. Roger has been 29-36 this decade, being #1 during the time of the grunting maggot and Djoker is impressive and rather insulting for the much younger chaps no?
Federer Did not even have to deal djokovic, in the first 8 seasons where won like half his slams, wow that's bad, did you think he would have 20 if djokovic was the some age Hell no, federer would not even have gotten to ten?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You should if I ever suggest it. That is not an argument I have ever made. That is a strawman you are just arguing against. I have only mentioned that in ONE set in ONE match, I felt he was playing with nothing left in the tank. I have not generalized. Even then it is just an opinion. You may think he was %100 in that match and it is cool. People see things differently.
Fine. We see things differently. I watched that match. Roger wanted it more, and seemed to have success in Hamburg spurring him on. It gets a bit frustrating when folks continuously manufacture reasons for Rafa losing, because he's such an overwhelmingly good clay courter. He's human. Sometimes the other guy plays better. That's life

Reactions: Fiero425

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Complete nonsense. He had Dimitrov, Raonic, Berdych, Cilic. Infact faker too who lost to birdshit. Besides faker, who else would be tough for Fed on grass? Berdych peaked, Raonic peaked in that third set, Dimitrov was in good form but Federer was too good for everyone.
And they all played garbage. Ok maybe not Berdych. That match Roger actually just blew him away. Raonic wasn't the same guy from a year ago. Dimitrov.... need I say anything about him? Cilic absolutely choked and cried like a baby. I'm not complaining. I was happy but let's not make it into some sort of heroic slam win. His general level was nothing like earlier in the year

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Fine. We see things differently. I watched that match. Roger wanted it more, and seemed to have success in Hamburg spurring him on. It gets a bit frustrating when folks continuously manufacture reasons for Rafa losing, because he's such an overwhelmingly good clay courter. He's human. Sometimes the other guy plays better. That's life
Agree with everything you just said :)

Reactions: Federberg

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
And they all played garbage. Ok maybe not Berdych. That match Roger actually just blew him away. Raonic wasn't the same guy from a year ago. Dimitrov.... need I say anything about him? Cilic absolutely choked and cried like a baby. I'm not complaining. I was happy but let's not make it into some sort of heroic slam win. His general level was nothing like earlier in the year

Federer blew him away. :facepalm: Now I'm convinced you don't understand tennis.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree with everything you just said :)
That's all I'm saying. I don't know another all time great where there's this fever to rationalise Rafa losses. He's a phenomenal player, but he's human. Sometimes you just lose. It really can be that simple

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions

And who did dull have at RG? Oh that's right , nobody.
Nobody S.wawrinka way better then any of players you said, which already makes nadal rg better than federer joke Wimbledon draw with a player was on one leg in the final, federer beat a handicap to win Wimbledon.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Federer playing Dimitrov, Raonic, Berdych, Cilic back to back on GRASS is a joke apparently.:lulz2: Yea I bet playing Taro Daniel and Anderson would've been harder. :lol3:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Nobody S.wawrinka way then any of players you said, which already makes better than federer joke Wimbledon draw with a player was on one leg in the final, federer beat a handicap to win Wimbledon.
both Wimbledon and RG last year were shockers mate. Your guy won at RG, and my guy won at Wimbledon. We don't have to put ribbons around the story in either case. They were some of the worst slams I've seen in the last few decades as the field just bent over for Fedal

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer Did not even have to deal djokovic, in the first 8 seasons where won like half his slams, wow that's bad, did you think he would have 20 if djokovic was the some age Hell no, federer would not even have gotten to ten?

If Djoker was the same age as Federer all these years the latter might have more than 20. Have you seen Djokovic at ages 29-31 compared to Roger? Nadal won 9 before Djoker became great too, should we discount those? Just be happy there's no real drug policy in this sport and those who get "caught" usually get set free.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer playing Dimitrov, Raonic, Berdych, Cilic back to back on GRASS is a joke apparently.:lulz2: Yea I bet playing Taro Daniel and Anderson would've been harder. :lol3:
Well done for remembering who he played mate. You can get credit for that. It doesn't change the fact that they played shite against him. What is it with folks who just focus on the names and don't actually comprehend how one sided the matches were. They were putrid. This is the thing that makes me laugh. And it's a point I've made again and again. AO 07 is a case in point when some folks were playing out of their minds. What Roger did to Gonzo was sick because the guy was really balling. But because it's Gonzo it gets dismissed because he's supposedly no great shakes. Completely misses the point.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Barring getting Djokovic who would've been easier than Berdych given faker's form last year, that's the hardest draw Fed could've got.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Well done for remembering who he played mate. You can get credit for that. It doesn't change the fact that they played shite against him. What is it with folks who just focus on the names and don't actually comprehend how one sided the matches were. They were putrid. This is the thing that makes me laugh. And it's a point I've made again and again. AO 07 is a case in point when some folks were playing out of their minds. What Roger did to Gonzo was sick because the guy was really balling. But because it's Gonzo it gets dismissed because he's supposedly no great shakes. Completely misses the point.

They were one sided because Federer was in fine form. If Fed had played even slightly subpar he would've been caught out by one of Raonic/Berdych/Cilic. Berdych played the best grass match of his life and he still got straight setted. The point being that is the toughest draw Fed could've got on grass, aside from faker, and he swept it clean. Full credit to Fed for that.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
If Djoker was the same age as Federer all these years the latter might have more than 20. Have you seen Djokovic at ages 29-31 compared to Roger? Nadal won 9 before Djoker became great too, should we discount those? Just be happy there's no real drug policy in this sport and those who get "caught" usually get set free.
OK the play down, effect, I see And I agree mano_O but least tell me you are going to watch most of RG this year,

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
They were one sided because Federer was in fine form. If Fed had played even slightly subpar he would've been caught out by one of Raonic/Berdych/Cilic. Berdych played the best grass match of his life and he still got straight setted. The point being that is the toughest draw Fed could've got on grass, aside from faker, and he swept it clean. Full credit to Fed for that.
Then we agree to disagree. Federer wasn't playing particularly well in Wimbledon last year. I recall telling britbox, Front and DF exactly that at the time. He was lucky he didn't play anyone who was really balling. Apart from as I said Berdych.